It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I'm not bestowing the rights of the constitution on anyone, I'm stating that the spirit of teh Declaration of Independence was to say that a King or Gov does not grant these rights. Our rights are not given or taken away, they are Inalienable.

Do you know what that means? It means unconditional to all men. Here is a quote from wiki...

The term inalienable rights (or unalienable rights) refers to a theoretical set of individual human rights that by their nature cannot be taken away, violated, or transferred from one person to another. They are considered more fundamental than alienable rights, such as rights in a specific piece of property.
Inalienable (Individual) Rights are: natural rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They are the most fundamental set of human rights, natural means not-granted nor conditional. They are applicable only to humans, as the basic necessity of their survival.

What you are referring to are ALIENABLE rights, such as that of property etc. But the right to a fair trial was one of these Inalienable rights the fathers of our great nation sought to establish in the world as a whole.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Here’s an interesting article on the subject that my server wont let me send by email. I find that sometimes happens when I’m trying to send something the PTB particularly don’t like.

baltimorechronicle.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

"That to secure these rights , Governments are instituted among Men, DERIVING THEIR JUST POWERS FROM THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED,"

Is this not saying that we have to give our CONSENT?? Cause,.......I don't call a 29% approval rating CONSENT.
The policies of these guys are laughable.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I do not think that the right to a fair trial is an inalienable right. It is more accurately described as a tenet of our justice system. Inalienable rights span borders and cultures; alienable rights are determined by each sovereign nation.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

Originally posted by Grafilthy

"That to secure these rights , Governments are instituted among Men, DERIVING THEIR JUST POWERS FROM THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED,"

Is this not saying that we have to give our CONSENT?? Cause,.......I don't call a 29% approval rating CONSENT.
The policies of these guys are laughable.

Well, it's a good thing that their powers to govern are not determined by an opinion poll, or else the entire Congress, which has a rating of LESS THAN the President, would have to go.

On second thought, that might not be such a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
So, when the framers of our constitution wrote the declaration of Independence, the main point was that ALL people had these rights, regardless of where they were, or what they had done.

So are you saying that every swinging Richard in the world has these rights?

Isn't that forcing our form of government on others, something the US is always scolded for?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I'm not so sure that allowing people freedoms, Regardless of race, nationality, religion, etc. are "forcing" anything on anyone.

After all "all men are created EQUAL."

Remember in Animal Farm..."all animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Every "swinging Richard" in the world DOES have these rights, IF they are being tried by in the US court system!

The US court system or the Judicial system is suppose to treat all people being prosecuted the same, there's no different levels of justice because you are citizen or if you are not a citizen.

Justice is Blind! - doesn't matter if you are or aren't a citizen, everybody is suppose to be treated the same in our Justice System! Our Justice System gives everybody the same rights, once they are accused of a crime, it's not suppose to matter who you are! A US citizen or not! When our government prosecutes somebody, they are all entitled to these rights!

They weren't saying that other governments had to abide by this.

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Thank you keyhole, for bringing clarity to this thread!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by Grafilthy

Originally posted by Grafilthy

Well, it's a good thing that their powers to govern are not determined by an opinion poll, or else the entire Congress, which has a rating of LESS THAN the President, would have to go.

Well.....They have a bad approval rating for not dealing with HIM!!!
Not that I will defend them...they are not doing they're job either.

I guess the point is that the points you raise are like comparing apples to crap; they just don't jive. Stealing civil liberties and having political erectile dysfunction are not in the same ballpark. They aren't even in the same hemisphere...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join