It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Rep claims IT breached by China, calls for trade crackdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

www.betanews.com

Yesterday, a high-ranking congressman issued a belated clarion call for procedurally improving the US' data security, citing data breaches that took place two years ago believed to have been perpetrated by China.

Back in August 2006, Rep. Frank R. Wolf (R - Va.) -- ranking member on the House State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee -- noted that four of his office's computers had been hacked: his chief of staff's, his legislative director's, a foreign policy and human rights staff member's, and one belonging to a member of his judiciary staff. Rep. Wolf believed whoever was responsible was seeking information about casework on behalf of political dissidents and human rights activists.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: Source

[edit on 12-6-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

June 12, 2008 (Computerworld) China on Thursday denied charges by two U.S. congressmen that it had hacked their offices' computers, claiming that it doesn't have technology capable of launching such attacks.

"Is there any evidence? Do we have such advanced technology? Even I don't believe it," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said in today's regularly scheduled news conference, according to the Associated Press. Translations of the Foreign Ministry's Chinese-language transcript confirmed the AP account.

Additional Source

Now this is just ridiculous. Given the fact that the FBI believes China has created a back door into government systems, just how in the hell do they expect anyone to believe that they "lack the technology" to hack into a simple congressional office machine?

It's not as if it requires some kind of super advanced technology....

www.betanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-6-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This is a non-starter: if they did it they would deny it, if they did not do it they would deny it. Evidence would be good.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
FBI Fears Chinese Hackers Have Back Door Into US Government & Military

Linking back to the original break in this story. Kind of cool to think that ATS prompted this move...I suppose what we do does make a difference.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
people have been hacking in to goverment systems ever sience the personal computer gained adequete modems. for china to say the dont have the tech to do so is like me saying " no i dident beige box your fone line i dont have the tech to do that". rediculous.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A run a program named Peer Guardian that stops connections from computers. I have The Chinese Ministry of Railroads being blocked all the time. Also several dozen other national agencies from around globe.

It seems like everyone is trying to just connect to my computer, so I wouldn't put it past anyone.

BTW: I use a couple of p2p programs at times which seem to draw this attention.

new topics

top topics

join