It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who did Russia sell their military arsenal to in the 90s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I hope i put this in the right area. If not, i'm super sorry.

I was watching National Geographic this morning and they were doing a show on Russia Mobs. It said that in the 90s when Russia broke up and that they had no money they sold their military arsenal. (Missiles, subs, and tanks) Some Russian Mob guy brought a submarine with missiles attached still for $50 million for some drug cartel from South America. Isnt this kinda scary, who might have bought them and is keeping them to use at a later date. What if they sold to Al Quida, Taliban, or any other fanatical group. Just wondering if Anyone has heard of this. I dont have any proof of this, but I dont think National Geographic would lie since that really wasnt what the show was about.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I watched the same show and its true that shoulder launched missiles like stingers were sold.But russia has been outfitting many countries for years with military hardware.Who really know but the seller and the buyer?

Such as this read...
January 28, 2005
Missiles sold to terrorists?

"Nicaraguans seize missile during sting," from the Washington Times

Nicaraguan police, with U.S. assistance in a sting operation, thwarted black marketeers trying to sell SA-7 shoulder-fired missiles capable of downing commercial aircraft earlier this month, raising fears that some missiles already have been sold to terrorists, The Washington Times has learned....

"This is a very, very serious threat," said the U.S. official. "This is what makes me stay up at night. Civilian aviation is at stake."

The official said one Soviet-made SA-7 was confiscated at an air conditioning repair shop, the site of the sting in Managua, Nicaragua, where three Nicaraguans tried to sell the missile and offered more to undercover Nicaraguan police.

"This shows that such missiles can be bought on the open market, and it highlights the need for strong international cooperation to get rid of them," a second official said in a government statement issued to The Times.

The sting has sounded alarm bells through the Bush administration for a number of reasons. The arrested men thought they were selling missiles to terrorists in Colombia and were willing to sell to Islamic terrorists, the official said. Also, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld in November had won what he believed was a firm agreement from Nicaraguan President Enrique Bolanos to destroy about 1,000 remaining SA-7s. Some in the Bush administration now suspect the military is double-crossing Mr. Bolanos.

Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda and other terrorist groups are known to be seeking portable missiles capable of bringing down a commercial airliner. The 20-pound SA-7 has a range up to 15,000 feet. In the wrong hands, a missile could down an airliner on its airport takeoff or approach.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
They sell huge amounts of weapons to syria and iran.Both hold terrorist.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Wouldn't You think that the US and other countries would be more concearned about this. I guess since its Russia the US cant threaten it like it can Iran or North Korea.

link   

Wouldn't You think that the US and other countries would be more concearned about this. I guess since its Russia the US cant threaten it like it can Iran or North Korea.

link   

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I thought it was 'Pepsi Cola' no? Didn't they end up coming up 3rd on 'who has the largest submarine fleet' due to some kind of strange trade? Urban myth maybe but it was talked about back then in 'some' seriousness by 'some' people.

new topics

top topics

join