It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Anyone Identify This Spider From a Description?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wow some crazy lookin spiders on here, don't know why im scared of them when we have guns and nuclear weapons... lol

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

Can you tell us a bit more about the restaurant? What type of food do they serve?

My best guess is that you saw a false widow. Check out the photo in the middle of the page from the link below. I'm betting that this is pretty close.

Link to pics

Additonal information on the false widow spider

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
False widow may be right.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Until recently, Steatoda Nobilis, a close relative of the notorious Black Widow, was native to Dorset.

But it can now be found in parts of Devon, Cornwall and Essex.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

or some type of Steatoda anyway

bugguide.net...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

they are very perdominate in the southeast U S where im from.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronEddie
I beleive this is the spider

The white stripe and red to black legs are there, is this the one you saw?

I actually think this one IS the most likely candidate.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I think you're probably right...Good Job. I've been searching for at least two hours since I saw this thread...no luck though. When she comes back we'll know if the search is over.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

I'd tend to agree, but the OP has a much wider white band on the abdomen in his picture.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Have you tried What's That Bug?
It wouldn't hurt to send them your description of it. Every time I need to identify a creepy crawly, that's the first place I go

Saw a hummingbird moth once, and it totally freaked me out...I know it's stupid, but I'm more afraid of moths than spiders.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac
reply to post by imd12c4funn

OMG! That's horrible! I'm really glad we don't get them in the UK! Are they really common in the states or are they quite rare?

they are VERY commong where i am from (Texas) i normally find one of two in my house a week. the thing about the Brown Recluse is it is just like it's name, reclusive, they normally will hang out in closets that don't get opened often. most bites occur because of someone putting on some clothes or picking something up and just getting to close.

not all bites get that bad, it just depends on the person, but yes if they aren't treated fast enough they can go necrotic (the bite)

the spider you are talking about sounds more like a Black widow to me than anything, although Black widows have a red hourglass shape on the back.

OH, BTW you will know if it's a brown recluse because they have a violin shape on their back, they are also refered to as "fiddlebacks"

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Don't let the horriffic pics of the Brown Recluse bite scare youse too much.
I was bitten by one some years ago just above my ankle. Foot swelled up like a water balloon. No real pain. Got alot of some type of cillin drug and only have a scar the size of a dime. BTW, this was in West Central Florida.
Lots and lots and lots of creepy crawlies around these parts.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Especially the Gator fans...he he...sorry, I had to do it. I got bit by a fiddleback here in Oklahoma about three years ago. I got a rash from head to toe...even on my eyelids, inside my ears, and on the palms of my hands, and soles of my feet. That lasted for about 2 months...it sucked real bad. I felt like a leper or something, it finally went away, and I went back to doing what I do. The necrosis is the worst case scenario. Glad I didn't get it. Figured I'd give a bright side to a brown recluse bite...

[edit on 13-6-2008 by daddymax]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I wonder what it is about spiders that brings out the fear in a lot of people (including me!)??

Is it the fact that they can bite? Well my cat can bite me and probably more often too but I am not afraid of that.

There is something about spiders, even ones that can't bite that worry me a lot. In fact I HATE going into my garden shed because of a few spiders who have taken over......

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by daddymax

Yo bud, crossed the line with that Gator remark.
We are protected by T&C on this forum.

[edit on 6/13/2008 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Spiders are so freaky! My Mom lives in the NorCal woods, and in the late summer-early fall big hairy tarantulas come out looking for mates. Freaky to see the hairy buggers up close.

You know what else is super freaky looking? "House centipedes"....

bigbug

I had never seen one in my 39 years until this spring. I now live in an old house by the American River, and late one night one of these fast-movers was on the wall right next me.

I thought maybe I was making first contact with the aliens!!!

Wiki says they're only 1-2 inches, but with the legs and antennae, I'd say closer to 4". My roomate has a 3 yr old son, who found one in the tub. I never knew a boy could scream like that! I see 'em all the time now when I'm up late. The great thing about these guys, and spiders alike, are that they eat all the bad bugs.

[edit on 6/13/2008 by Kaiser Sohse]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Funny you should post this thread and not find any links. The links that Google advertises on this thread are tailor made for researching spiders. Personally here in Iowa when I see one, any one, I cry "Armageddon!" and swat them into paste.

I think we hate spiders because of their feeding method. They usually don't feed until the end of the day, just wrap their paralized prey up alive, and suck their prey dry when convenient. All arachnida do the same thing except wrap their prey for storage. Scorpions are my thing and not because I'm a Scorpio either.

But if I were a betting man I'd say you saw a Steatdo or Flase Widow or something. Hope you get over your arachnophobia.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I hate bugs and insects, living in Florida, I battle palmetto bugs(think big brown Cockroach on steroids, and I despise them. We've finally got the riddex outlet plugins and put one in each conrner of the house, unfortunately, it's driving the ones that are already in the house out into the open, but after two weeks of fighting these things a few times daily. Things should settle down, and no new intrudenrs should be seen, hopefully.

But spiders for some reason u don't mind i hate killing them, and usually try to help them out of the house if I see one. Unless it looks someone poisonous, with bright colors, then i'll take extra precautions handleing anything like that.

I should be a bit more careful now reading that the red widow spider makes it's home right in my backyard Southeast Fl, the roads are lined with palmetto plants which is the chosen home for them, and they are poisonous/ Never again will I go trapesing through palmetto plants chest high in shorts and shortsleeve shirts.

And gosh that Brown Recluse bite, I always knew they were the kings of poisonous spiders, like the box jelly is the king of poison jelly fish, but man I would have been at the ER after the second photo taken, at least thinking it was a boil that needed to be lanced, but he waited unril his thumb turned into a decaying mass of dead corroded flesh, just disgusting, it almost looks fake to me.

But as far as all the images posted, and the Drawing and description of the OP, I'd have to go with this one

although the above spider doesn't seem as black, and it seems to be a good deal less than 2-2 and 1/2" long. The strip looks pretty good.

Wow they are so many many different shapes and sizes, as already stated, and as posted earlier, you get albinos, and spiders of the same specie with very different colors every once in a while.

BUT- What interests me mosts is the wave of reports of these spiders in and around the UK and Essex area. Anyone have any links to these reports?

any links more links would be much apreciated. As i just noted the OP provided a news link with his picture and post

The news link has a picture, which is really close to the description the OP gave:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

but gain not quite 2 inches plus big. But then again at night in the dark, Arachnaphope....a 1 and a half inch spider could easily be mis-identified as a 2 and a half inch spider. Or it was just a very large one of it's species, and just ate well at the restaurant. :p

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Nola213]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i agree with ironeddie this must be it. good eye eddie

[edit on 13-6-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I believe this is a junping spider. I went off your discription and looked it up!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
How about this one? Notice the color change on the legs, the pattern on the back is not exactly the same, but I think its along those lines.

This is a Northern Black Widow

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join