It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Mugabe's militia burn opponent's wife alive

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Simply put, the elite of the west are not interested.

A) there is no money to be made by toppling Mugabe.

B) this isn't a 'trendy' campaign to get behind like the anti apartheid demos were.

C) They don't care that millions of Africans are starving - If they did Darfur and the Sudan would of been stamped on as well as Zimbabwe.

D) They didn't care because at the start of the present troubles Mugabe only killed white farmers.

Now he has moved onto massed killings of blacks... they still don't give a toss about zimbabwe.

Why ? no profit, and no 'feel good' factor in doing so.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki

Originally posted by Quazga

Keep in mind, many prophets of Israel called for it's own destruction because it lost its way.

Got a reference for that? Sorry to be a stickler.

No problem at all, I agree we need evidence. I don't have any actual verse, I'm just going on memory here.

For example, Jonah called for the destruction of many cities. As a prophet he went around, and when he saw a city that he thought was unlawful in the eyes of God, he would say to God that he should smite it.

I don't have a reference on me, but this is pretty much the role of the Prophets, although one could say they were more "Warning" the population of what they saw was wrong, than actually calling for the destruction, if you look at Jeremiah Wright, he's not very far off from the manner in which the prophets spoke, other than the fact that they usually ran around in sackcloth and lived off the land.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

B) this isn't a 'trendy' campaign to get behind like the anti apartheid demos were.

C) They don't care that millions of Africans are starving - If they did Darfur and the Sudan would of been stamped on as well as Zimbabwe.

D) They didn't care because at the start of the present troubles Mugabe only killed white farmers.

Now he has moved onto massed killings of blacks... they still don't give a toss about zimbabwe.

This is sad, but very true. In a system ran by a market, if there is no money to be made, then there is also no effort made.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf

Did Hiroshima and Nagasaki's bombings stop conflict and wars? No, all it did was force Japan out of the pacific theater and make a hell of a lot of people suffer horrible deformations and sicknesses.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by InSpiteOf]

Yes it stopped WWII on the Japan side. It did stop a war. The war with Japan. Hirohito couldn't wait to sign the papers of surrender after the second bomb was dropped.

If the US wouldn't have let the Soviets get an even hand, then war could always be stopped by the threat of a nuclear bomb.

I really don't care about the deformations and sickness that was caused. Their emperor, had he cared for them, should have heeded the warnings. If their own emperor didn't care for them, why should I?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

While profit is definitely a motivating factor, I would like to suggest that a dictator actually plays perfectly into TPTB's hands, as a dictator is quite cozy with multinational investment, expropriation of lands and minerals, and exploitation of native peoples, so long as the dictator and his class are taken care off.

It serves Multinational Finance Capital to have a dictator in power, and so he shall stay to slaughter more.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

1000% agree with you.

Thats why i said there is no profit for them to get rid of him. Look at how the generals now prop up the game as Mugabe is sidelined by them.

Zimbabwe is going to get alot worse before it gets better, and south africas silent agreement with mugabe doesn't help at all.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Yes it stopped WWII on the Japan side. It did stop a war. The war with Japan. Hirohito couldn't wait to sign the papers of surrender after the second bomb was dropped.

Im glad you clarified that the bombs stopped world war two on the UJapanese side and not the whole war, but I conceded that point already. The point I was making was, that despite the destructive powers felt by those two bombs, wars still raged. Nuclear weapons do not act as deterrents.

If the US wouldn't have let the Soviets get an even hand, then war could always be stopped by the threat of a nuclear bomb.

The soviets always played catchup during the cold war.

I really don't care about the deformations and sickness that was caused. Their emperor, had he cared for them, should have heeded the warnings. If their own emperor didn't care for them, why should I?

So by extension, you don't care about the people of Zimbabwe because their leader doesn't care about them. If you dont care so much, why the push to nuke them? Once again, Nuking them will not stop humans from killing humans. All nuking them will do is cause more suffering,

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The black Africans need to help themselves because nobody cares about them. Instead of them listening to their governments brainwash them and tell them white colonialism is the reason for all their ills (like Mugabe does), they need to stand up to them and stop being stupid and paralyzed in a medieval way of acting and thinking.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf

So by extension, you don't care about the people of Zimbabwe because their leader doesn't care about them. If you dont care so much, why the push to nuke them? Once again, Nuking them will not stop humans from killing humans. All nuking them will do is cause more suffering,

My point is this. I for one cannot stand cruelty of this nature.

Some people are attracted to violence because they enjoy it, others are attracted to it because they despise violence. I am the type of person who never fights fair, because I can't stand fighting. I'm the type of person to go completely nuts on someone who is being cruel. I can't think of any other way to stop the insane violence of today other than showing true violence on a global scale in a very very short amount of time, and simply placing serious fear in the hearts of the leaders of the world.

I for one believe that we need to drop an atomic bomb at least once every 7 generations, or something akin to it so that the leaders of the world don't forget the truly terrible and awesome power that can be unleashed. Every once in a while, people forget what true terror really is, and because of this, *they* think that they are a terror, when in reality there is a mighty terror just waiting to decimate an entire genotype.

Walk softly, but carry a *mega* stick.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by fred3110
Why is the world sitting by and letting this man stay in power? Its obvious he\'s not going to give up his presidency without a fight.

Is he sitting on some sort of oil well that I don't know about?

As much as you may not want to see the grim reality of the situation....this is the reality of the situation. It sucks I know but it is this way. Be the change you want to see.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I can give you a number of reasons why no one will bother taking down Mugabe.

Sani ABACHA

Abacha seized power in Nigeria via a military coup in 1993. He immediately annulled the results of presidential elections which had been won by the opposition and began to consolidate his position by purging sections of the army that he did not trust. In 1995, Abacha had nine of his most vocal political opponents executed, an action which caused Nigeria to be suspended from the British Commonwealth.

Issayas AFEWERKI

Afewerki became president of Eritrea upon that country's achievement of independence from Ethiopia in 1991. In recent times his ruling party has split and Afewerki's faction has begun to brutally repress its opponents.

Omar AL BASHIR

Al Bashir seized power in Sudan in a military coup against a democratically elected government in 1989. Since his ascendancy, Amnesty International claims some 1 million people have been killed in the Sudanese civil war, whilst another 9 million have either fled the country or been subjected to 'internal exile', which basically means 'stay inside or be shot'.

Idi AMIN

Idi Amin was president of Uganda from 1971 until 1979. A former boxer, Amin rose through the ranks of the Army in the 1960's, and seized power in a military coup against Uganda's first president, Milton Obote. His reign was marked by brutal repression, torture and other violence. 'Bodies were found with genitals, noses, livers, and eyes missing. Prison camps began filling up with common citizens, where prisoners forced to bludgeon each other to death with sledgehammers'.

Said Mohamed BARRE

Barre seized power in Somalia in a military coup in 1969 and remained its leader until 1991. Barre played Somalia's clans off against each other in a 'divide and rule ' campaign and in particular he singled out the Majerteen tribe. Mohamoud M. Afrah claims that Barres forces killed thousands of innocent civilians and their livestock and poisoned their water supplies.

Paul BIYA

Biya was elected prime minister of Cameroon in 1975 and president in 1982. He has been re-elected four times since, although the legitimacy of those elections is questionable. According to Ngini, after a failed coup in 1984, Biya’s ‘attention became turned inwards and almost exclusively towards his personal political survival and that of his regime’. Biya has used special powers of presidential decree to appropriate vast sums from the profits of state enterprises.

Jean-Bedel BOKASSA

Jean-Bedel Bokassa was president of the Central African Republic from 1966 until 1979. Bokassa had served in the colonial French army and helped establish the new army of the independent C.A.R. He seized power in a military coup against president David Dracko in 1966 and almost immediately abolished the country’s constitution. In 1972 he declared himself president for life, and in 1976 he adopted the title of 'emperor' after a US $30 Million coronation ceremony. Whilst enriching himself to the tune of US $125 Million, Bokassa brutalised and exploited his people with apparent flair. His 'hands on' approach led Bokassa to be personally involved in atrocities including torture, executions and even cannibalism.

Samuel DOE

Doe seized power in Liberia in a military coup in 1980. His rule was marked by cronyism and brutal repression of political opponents. Doe favoured his own ‘Krahn’ tribe above all others, which resulted in violent uprisings. Doe banned political parties in Liberia until 1984. The next year elections were held, however they were rigged and Doe remained in power until he was overthrown and executed in an uprising led by Charles Taylor in 1990. Doe's death was rather gruesome, in that he was slowly cut to pieces and forced to eat his own ears as he bled to death.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Gnassingbe EYADEMA

Eyadema is Africa's longest serving despot, having orchestrated Africa's first military coup in Togo in 1963 and then assuming the presidency in 1967. At that time Eyadema banned all political parties and political activity, a situation that was officially reversed in 1992 when a new constitution was introduced and elections were held. Amid allegations of widespread vote rigging, Eyadema retained the presidency with 96% of the vote. The 1992 constitution had only allowed individuals to serve two terms as president, however Eyadema had this clause reversed in 2002 and plans to stand again in elections to be held in June 2003.

Muammar Gaddafi

Gaddafi came to power in Libya in a coup against that country’s monarchy in 1969. His 'anti-western' attitudes have brought him into regular conflict with the US since he has been regularly accused of being associated with terrorist organizations, including the former Palestinian Liberation Organisation. Gaddafi controls all media in Libya and criticism of him is not tolerated. In the 1980’s, Gaddafi ordered hit squads to assassinate Libyan dissidents living overseas. Political trials in Gaddafi’s Libya are held in private and offenders are regularly tortured. Some sources suggest that Gaddafi has become more moderate in recent times.

Hissene HABRE

Habre was president of Chad from 1982 until 1990. According to the Human Rights Watch group, there was widespread genocide against ethnic minorities during Habre’s rule. His personally directed secret political police are also believed to have assassinated tens of thousands of political opponents. Systematic use of torture was also common during Habre’a reign. Habre is now in exile in Senegal where he faces deportation to Belgium to face charges of crimes against humanity.

Laurent KABILA

Kabila became president of the Democratic Republic of Congo when he led forces that overthrew Joseph Mobutu in 1997. Although he does not rank in the same league as Mobutu as a dictator, Kabila’s four year rule coincided with the deaths of around 3.3 Million people in the DRC.

Haile Mariam MENGISTU

Mengistu assumed the presidency of Ethiopia in a military coup which ousted Haile Selassie in 1974. His links with the Russians and his ruthless nature earned him the tag 'the red terror'. Using so-called 'neighbourhood commitees', Mengistu had as many as 1.5 Million of his own people executed in just four years between 1975 and 1979. This ranks among the top ten genocides of the twentieth century. Those that survived the genocide had a good chance of starving, since Mengistu’s regime stole international food aid during Ethiopia’s famine during the mid 1980’s and distributed it among themselves. Mengistu fled to Zimbabwe, where he now has permanent residence, after being ousted in 1991. The Ethiopean government has been unsuccessfully trying for years to get Zimbabwe’s Robert Mugabe to extradite Mengistu so he can be tried for crimes against humanity.

Joseph MOBUTU,

Joseph Mobutu, also known as Mobutu Sese Seko, was President of the former Belgian Congo from 1965 until 1997. Mobutu seized power in a CIA backed military and named himself head of state, head of government, commander in chief of the armed forces, and head of the only political party allowed, the Popular Movement of the Revolution. It has been said that the only thing that Mobutu gave his country was a new name - Zaire, in 1971. In return, Mobutu took all that there was to take. In fact, some observers have branded Mobutu's regime a 'kleptocracy', since he made no distinction between state assets and his own. At its peak, Mobutu's personal fortune was estimated by the International Monetary Fund to be more than US $4 Billion. After his death, a search of one of Mobutu's many palaces uncovered a wine collection worth US $2.3 Million. Meanwhile, the people of the Congo remained among the poorest in the world a

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
KING MSWATI III

King Mswati III of Swaziland is Africa’s last remaining absolute monarch. He became King in 1986, and since then has maintained a tight grip on authority with particular attention paid to the media. In fact Mswati is so paranoid about his image that he opened his own television station in order to ensure that a positive view of his dictatorship is portrayed. He even has his own web site at, www.swazi.com... Mswati has no regard for human rights, especially women’s rights, having recently released a statement suggesting that women who wear pants are the reason why ‘the world is in such a state today’.

Daniel Arap MOI

Moi became president of Kenya on the death of its first leader Jomo Kenyatta in 1978 and remained in that position until 2002. Although he was initially a popular leader, Moi became increasingly dictatorial, especially after a failed coup in 1982. According to Wikpaedia, at that time Moi’s regime ‘resorted to strong-arm rule, imprisonment without trial and torture’ against his opponents. Moi’s regime also grew increasingly corrupt, to the point that in 1991 Moi accepted the introduction of multi-party democracy in exhange for continued economic assistance from the International Monatory Fund and the World Bank. Despite that, Moi managed to exploit ethnic and tribal rivalries amongs his political opposition in order to get re-elected twice in the 1990’s. He was constitutionally prohibited from contesting the presidential elections of 2002, but he still continues to exert an influence in Kenyan politics.

Teodoro NGUEMA

Nguema dislodged his own uncle from power in 1979 and remains president of Equatorial Guinea to the present day. His method of disposing of his political enemies has generally been to drive them into exile. Nguema maintains a tight grip on all aspects of government and the security forces, and is accused of regularly arresting and torturing those who speak out against his rule. In May of 2002, a failed attempt on his life caused Nguema to round up his political enemies and jail them indefinitely. According to the Equatorial Guinea Advocate website, one scholar has described that country as ‘probably the worst governed state in the world’.

Charles TAYLOR

Taylor was actually elected as president by the people of Liberia in 1997. Amnesty International says that Taylor's military forces regularly use rape and torture as instruments of terror and suggest that he is using his civilians as virtual slave labour. Estimates suggest that Taylor's personal fortune is greater than Liberia's Gross National Product. This fortune has been amassed by looting Liberia's natural resources, including gold, diamonds, rubber and timber. According to Hybrid Culture Magazine, 'rape and mutilation are standard tactics of intimidation'. UN sanctions and an arms embargo are in place against Taylor's regime. Taylor has actively supported rebels in neighbouring Sierra Leone by helping them to smuggle illegal ‘blood diamonds’ in order to finance their ongoing civil war against the Sierra Leone government.

Sekou TOURE

Toure was considered a hero in Guinea for defying French colonial rule. According to Rubin, when Guinea became independent in 1958 Toure said that ‘the Guinean people preferred poverty in freedom to riches in slavery’, but upon becoming its first president ‘Toure gave them both poverty and slavery’. Gulag style death camps were established by Toure in the early 1960’s and continued to operate for the whole of his twenty year rule. Many of Toure’s own elite class ended up being tortured and shot in these camps, such was Toure’s paranoia and his determination to maintain ‘a high level of internal repression’.

everytime you eliminate 1 another pops up, so much for colonialism ...

sorry for all the posts i just tried to include relevant info for each person

www.socsci.flinders.edu.au...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

This is quite possibly the most inane comment I have heard here on ATS, and let me tell you I have heard a lot of them.

So just because a country is subjected to dictatorial rule by a very small minority of people, your solution it to just "KILL THEM ALL". Never mind that the vast majority of those you would kill would be the innocents trampled by the dictators.

Unreal.

I would put you on ignore, but comments such as yours need to be monitored.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
What an excellent two posts Demandred! Star for you!

I agree with the point that once one is removed, another pops up. Sadly, I think Zimbabwe was much more stable, economic, and appealing while under apartheid rule. Now that they have stolen land from the farmers who supplied their food, they have essentially cut off the hand that feeds them. It is sad to see a country with people so ignorant to the world around them. Instead of helping the farmers raise more crops for their country, they destroyed, looted, and pillaged the land so it is no longer usable by anyone, experienced or not. I hate seeing people suffer, but in my opinion the country did it to themselves..

Now, I do understand that there is a percentage of people who did not partake in the destruction of their country, but I think they should leave when possible as refugees and let the rest of them kill each other off.

It is so hard to have sympathy for such ignorance.. especially when they are the ones that deserve it the most.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by deadline527]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
# that.

I am a super liberal, progressive, green nut job and I assure you this pisses me off.

Absolutely intolerable.

I empathise and feel so moved by people in other countries who are forced to suffer through horrors like this.

I absolutely agree that something should be done by the global community to help people who have to suffer like this.

I so would have supported action on the part of my government, the un, and global community to take out bastards like this.

alas, the usa is busy spreading democracy else where at the moment.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

The Zimbabwean regime is supported by the Chinese, which means it's a no go zone for the west, just like Burma, Sudan and North Korea.

en.wikipedia.org...
Zimbabwean assets to China
Chinese weapons head to Zimbabwe
Chinese troops in Zimbabwe
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 13/6/08 by Cthulwho]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Do not believe anything the main stream media tells you. US and UK want Mugabe to come down, he is a dictator I agree, but all they want is to replace him with a more business friendly one

Why would he do such thing ? Kill his opponent's wife ? Makes no sense.

Like that Iraqi army soldier who killed 3 US soldiers - because they were hitting a pregnant woman, and the media tells us that he was an infiltrated Al Qaeda ? Why would he do stuff like that ? He would have been far more valuable for the terrorists than just to attack US soldiers and he also got caught

Those who killed Mugabe's opponent's wife could be paid killers, paid by US or UK. Or they could be working for Mugabe who has nothing better to do then show how evil he is ? Why did he not kill his opponent then ?

I do not know the truth, just do not believe everything, because you perhaps hate Mugabe, anything that the media writes bad about him must be true

Same thing happened after 9/11 :

Never hate your enemies. It clouds your judgement - Michael Corleone

You also want to see this, it fits very well here on ATS, Buddhist or not :
Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honor
for many generations and in diverse places.
Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.
Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past.
Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persuading yourself that a God inspires you.
Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests.
After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.

Buddha

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I'm not saying do it for the heck of it. I'm saying do it very deliberately for the purpose of calling attention to what happens when cultures "teach cruelty".

I don't care if it is a square block of a city, or a nation, or an entire continent that goes. We have too many people on this planet to begin with. So what's the loss of a culture which "teaches cruelty".

I'm just saying that we should act like the Old Testament God, and punish the unrighteous nations as a whole and without hesitation.

Believe me, there would be a *whole* lot less of this type of murder if people knew that the repercussions were the complete eradication of a culture.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Quazga]

Hi there Osama, you are Osama arent you? You sure as hell have the same ideology. Except he thinks you are the one who needs a nuke up his backside.

And I bet the sick mofos who did this had a similar reasoning - its always easy to reason when you can chalk it up to God or religion or the interest of our great nation ....

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
How is the any worse than the USA using Napalm in the invasion of Iraq..? we didnt kill one individual, we killed hundreds, and wounded hundreds more, they now live with horribly disfigured faces, arms, legs and torsos...incredible pain.

lets not throw rocks while we live in a Glass Whitehouse

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join