It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is to Blame?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I read an article today about a teenager who hanged himself. The title of the article is "Boy, 13, 'hanged himself after he was bullied on Bebo for being a fan of Emo music'". In the article the parents are quoted as saying they blame the site for this kids suicide. He was also harassed at school for his lifestyle choice, that being emo.

Is the site blame? Are the parents to blame? Is the real life community in the line of fire? Or is the virtual community the Devil's details?

This is not the only incident where a youngster is harassed and commits suicide. I am seeing this more and more in differing shades of the media. I have witnessed people attacking like a rafter of turkeys.

What action[s] can be done to quell this growing challenge?

I will add my opinions later on in the thread as to not too heavily influence the energy.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I don't believe the blame can be placed in just one area.
The emo lifestyle itself is quite often youth who are depressed, or feel like they are ignored by their family, or don't quite fit into society right.
Hanging out with others who are emo wouldn't help the depression but add to it.
Bullying can drive any child to drastic action, so the emo only plays a small part here in the fact that depression could have been an issue to begin with.
It doesn't seem, by reading the article that his mother was inattentive though.
Perhaps he was dealing with undiagnosed depression of some kind.
I truly wouldn't put the blame anywhere. It's too fuzzy of a gray area.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I believe that it is the child that was responsible for his own death. I would also like to add though that there are many factors that lead a person to take such actions, whether that person is a child or not.

The responsiblity lies in the parents and communities hands to help to teach children to cope. But coping skills are not readily available anymore. I know adults that don't know how to deal with things either. But the fact that this child went to this extreme shows that he needed help and it was not seen by anyone around him. Which is just to hard for me to believe, but I guess it happens.

The fact of what music he listened to or what site he was on is fairly irrelevent as far as I am concerned. Being bullied stinks... it doesn't matter who is doing it. The parents of bullies have not taught there children coping skills either, and I am sure many of them commit suicide as well. You don't bully people cause your self-esteem is healthy.

Today's world has got itself in a mess. We send a lot of contridictory messages to our children. We say don't fight, then we go to war. We say share but then we say don't spend your money. We say ask questions to learn, but then we say be quiet. It could go on forever. But until we get our act together we will continue to see this happen to children.

I feel great sympathy for the family, but I always have believed and still do that blaming others in this type of situation gets you no where. All the money in the world will not bring the child back. All the money in the world will not make them happy again. And blaming a site will get no one no where.

new topics

join