It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank did not cash their own check!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Oh My Gosh, I can't believe how bad it is really getting in our country. There was a time when a bank would cash any check. It did not matter. Then it got to the point that you had to have an account with them, or the check has to be theirs at least.

However, now that is not even good enough!!!! Now I travel a lot and currently my mom is with me. Now she’s old senior citizen here. My sister sent her a gift for $100.00 for mother’s day. We just recently received it like I said I travel so my mail is way behind. So since she would not have a bank in my state I looked on the check seen what bank it came from and went to that bank. Larger banks are in more than one state as you know.

So I took my mom there they wanted two pieces of id, ok this is normal she gave it to them. Then they wanted her thumb print. Oh my nerves did that not go over well! She’s old and she didn’t like this idea. Don’t ask me why but she REFUSED to give her thumb print. So they refused to take their check!!!!

So now I am just going to send my sisters check back to her! What sad times we really truly live in.

One step at a time and more and more government control!!! Do things our new way or just don't get what you want!

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I am thinking of reading some of your comments if not all to my mother in hopes of opening her eyes up more to the world around us and how people think!

I have already been doing this with her. For whatever reason she is so behind on what goes on.

All opinions are welcome.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

That's sad.
Bad people make it hard for normal people to get credit, etc........
Even getting a check cashed???

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Yes that is so true.

I told my mom I can also take her to same bank another location if she's willing to give her thumb print.

So now she's got some thinking to do. Maybe yall's comments might help her and open her eyes up!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Oh this is sad 194 people looking and only 1 comment. I don't have much to tell her. How sad.

I was hoping for all kinds of opinions on this good or bad. Does the banks have a right to ask us for our prints?

Its just like the airports scanning our entire bodies seeing everything, do they have that right?

Like Disney theme parks taking your finger prints there! do they have that right?

No one has any thoughts on this at all! My very first rant and it’s a flop.

I guess this means no one has problems with any of this. Everyone is fine with it.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Personally I think the bank should lose customers. So they require a fingerprint? Good grief! My thoughts is that for this one situation only go ahead and do the fingerprint thing. After that use money orders. I use a credit union myself so I have no problems. I wish you well.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This is common practice now to get the thumb print on a check. The reason is identity theft. They want to protect the person sending the checks from being ripped off by swindlers. So they require a thumb print of the person cashing the check.

If the person is not supposed to have the check and the person who has the account makes a complaint then they have the check to go back to in order to find the person spending fraudulent checks. It just makes it easier on police finding people commiting check fraud.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
This is common practice now to get the thumb print on a check. The reason is identity theft.

Is this a good enough reason? I mean what happens when its not the thumb print anymore but instead a chip they want to put in you and scan.

Where does this end? When is enough, enough?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Tongue tatoos.

Once it gets that far Im out.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm a little more on the daring side.. When people send me money, I tell them to send straight up CASH!!
Simply because of the reasons that you have stated. Multiple forms of I.D., prints, and also the whole "let me run this through our manager" comment.
Wait, what? Disney scans peoples thumb prints? Wow! That's news to me. Almost sounds like we're living in a subtle facist government..
Well, if your mama really wants to go on a one hundred dollar spending spree, she's going to have to cave on her pride, and give the print.
WAIT! The answer to all questions!

Wal-Mart!
Go cash it there.. Atleast they won't drag you through the thorn field in the process.
Goodluck! And tell your ma' I said hi!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Tell her she lived in a much more pleasant world than it is today. Banks are notorious scoundrels and will stop at nothing to make it difficult to access your own money, but will not hesitate at the drop of a hat to charge exuberant fees for making honest simple mistakes.

As soon as I get paid, I quickly turn it into cash as soon as possible so I can avoid any middle men.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I can remember the first time I was exposed to this whole thumb printing thing at a bank... I found it a very offensive experience and wanted to take the little ink blotter and sling it at the teller who demanded the thumb print.

After getting over the initial shock factor of it, I was ok with it and don't have a problem with it now. I can understand the reason for something like this. But when you haven't ever been exposed to something like that, it can be a pretty big jolt to absorb.

Tell your Mother she isn't alone in how she felt about it. The world is changing faster than we can keep up with it.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will be reading these to her later today.

new topics

top topics

join