It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court ruling cripples Guantanamo trials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Supreme Court ruling cripples Guantanamo trials

www.timesonline.co.uk

The future of President Bush's controversial military trial system for terror suspects held at Guantanamo Bay has been dealt a potentially terminal blow by the US Supreme Court.

In its third rebuke of the Bush Administration's treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, the court ruled that the 270 foreign terror suspects have the right under the US Constitution to challenge their detention in civilian courts on the American mainland.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
At last the americans are standing up again! finaly they will gain some much needed respect around the world.

first the impeachment guy now this.

Those of you that say too little to late... i dont care if u catch this B#%!@#D the hour before he leaves office. better to send a message that this behaviour will not be tolerated and you will be punished at some stage than no punishment at all.

Lets shut this evil institution down and give even hardened terror suspects at least basic human rights without having to resort to the very mindset we proclaim to be fighting against.

9/11 wasterrible, it was my generations JFK, i will never forget the exact minute, second, nano second i saw it all happen from the outset.

But that one tragic event has spiraled the world into a much much unsafer place than it used to be. And leading us into this bright future was the good old U.S.A

A country i once loved and visited twice a year , a country that was big and beautiful, a country were dreams can become reality.

All my life i looked up to the U.S.A but since 2001 i have been looking downwards.. this week for the first time my head is tilting upwards again.

For goodness sake people of america don't let me, other countries , the planet down!! most importantly don't let yourselves down.

The ball is rolling now knock it out of the park!!!!!!!

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The Writ of Habeas Corpus is a right every prisoner in America needs to be granted, no matter how Bush wants to run his little torture camp. This is a major victory for freedom, not just as an ideal, but in practice.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

Ah but those in Gitmo aren't "in America".

Guantanamo Bay is considered OCONUS (Outside Continental U.S.)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Treat them like prisoners then. Keep them in there until the war is over. No torture.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

wow what a coincedence. cant wait until this practice stops ..

when did peoples moral fiber change depending on what soil they were standing on, or what country their plane happened to be flying over/landing in.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

wow what a coincedence. cant wait until this practice stops ..

when did peoples moral fiber change depending on what soil they were standing on, or what country their plane happened to be flying over/landing in.

Considering they aren't Americans, nor are they on American soil, they do not, and should not receive Constitutional protections.

That being said, personally I believe they should be charged or released.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

That, until this ruling, was the reason they were denied the right.

In my opinion anyone contained within the American penal system deserves the rights the system gives, no matter where geographically they are.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde

That, until this ruling, was the reason they were denied the right.

In my opinion anyone contained within the American penal system deserves the rights the system gives, no matter where geographically they are.

Technically they aren't part of the penal system either. If they were, we would see domestic, ordinary criminals also serving out their sentence at Gitmo.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
They should not recieve Constitutional protection as like you said 1, they are not native citizens and 2 their not even in the country.

but ...........

i am still interested to know How stepping over your own border allows you to moraley change your mindset and internal beliefs , torture is wrong ? right? i dont think i ever met 1 person who was on the fence on the torture issue i suppose your either one side or the other.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Torture?

When? Where?

You talking about waterboarding? Thats not torture. I have a few friends in the SF community who have gone through it. They said it definitely sucked, but doesn't quite meet the definition of torture.

As for other alleged "torture techniques"? What, sensory deprivation? A few smacks to the face?

I'd gladly take those as opposed to other forms of actual torture.

new topics

top topics

join