It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Govenment Wins 42 Day Anti Terror Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hi all,

Here it is as shocking and disgusting as it is...

With the shock resignation of the Shadow home secretary David Davis over the 42-day terror detention limit His speech hits home something very frightening..

Is the English constitution the 'Magna Carta' now Null and viod??

Some people don't even know what the magna carta is and what it stands for..

Here is the document and what it states are as follows::--

The Great Charter of English liberty granted (under considerable duress) by King John at Runnymede on June 15, 1215

The Document is long and can be read in it's entirety here...

The Magna Carta

I must admit this document is out of date somewhat and a lot of it really doesn't hold much water in today’s world... However it's basis is without doubt the basis of freedom within England and as such can be held aloft as an example of our English liberties and freedoms.

I find item 39 most interesting....

39. No freeman shall be taken, or imprisoned, or disseized, or outlawed, or exiled, or in any way harmed--nor will we go upon or send upon him--save by the lawful judgment of his peers or by the law of the land.

The erosion of these simple yet powerful principles Means freedom is a thing of the past....This to me means that New World Order is well and truly being established....

How long before we start seeing these guys??

I am beginning to think John Titor's vision of our future is in fact correct and we are heading towards a Civil War in England...

With our liberties being eroded away right in front of our eyes, how many more rights must we loose before we start to see some organised action against the enemy in the coridors of power???

Power to the People!!!

NeoN HaZe

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I hate to burst your bubble but they could introduce a 142 day detention law and nobody would bat an eyelid. The common people of this country have enough to worry about and the rights of suspected terrorists are right at the bottom of the list, if they're there at all.

In the 80s and 90s we came as near to a police state as we ever did in living memory. Who remembers :-

Ban on flying pickets. Strike supporters were banned from travelling around the country and supporting miners. Roadblocks and exclusion zones were set up to prevent movement.

Police brutality against striking miners and supporters

Battle of the Beanfield : new age travellers beaten to a pulp, their children taken off them and their caravans and vehicles trashed or impounded.

Redfining the riot laws so that gatherings of 10 or more people without permission could be perceived as a potential riot situation and the 'perpetrators' charged accordingly.

'Repetitive Beat' legislation or anti rave law - giving authorities and the police powers to disperse and/or arrest gatherings of people listening to music without due authority and confiscate equipment. Freedom of movement restricted through roadblocks and exclusion zones. The 'music' referred to must specifically contain 'repetitive beats'.

7 day Detention Law : Detention for terror suspects raised from 48 hours to 7 days. Suspects were held at undisclosed police stations with no right to legal representation or telephone calls.

Right to remain silent : gone. Anything you don't say will be used as evidence against you.

That's just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Nobody gave a damn then because it was "the Irish" or "the travellers" or "the miners". No-one gives a damn now because it's "the muslims".

Unfortunately when someone is on the verge of being made redundant, the house is sinking into negative equity and they have gangs of feral youth smashing the road up every night they have no time to worry about the civil lliberties of a community they neither know nor care about. The fact that this may impact their future civil liberties is not a concern because their attitude is that only those who are not law abiding citizens have something to worry about.

I think you'll be waiting a long, long, long time before it comes to civil war in this country. Although saying that, the price of petrol might kick start something!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MajjicMouse

Have to disagree with you there, I've just been made redundant recently, got the feral youths smashing and stabbing everything in sight and I still have time to be worried by this, anyone who is to wrapped up in there own little life to see the bigger implications of this deserve a b*tch slap back into reality.

Who's to say in the future the "terrorists" will be muslim, once these laws are put in place they stay in place, in a few years down the line people could be considered terrorists simply for protesting.

Anyone who is considered a terrorist are subject to these laws and the government are the ones who decide which people are terrorists.

The government are getting way to much power and they aint gonna use it to defend the people.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Neon Haze

I feel for our brothers and sisters in the UK. This is indeed terrible news and I applaud David's stand for what he was elected to represent. The people. I also want to applaud the UK media because I can guarantee you this that a speech like that would NEVER have been shown on such a sensitive issue in such a way here. It would have been followed with some extreme right or left MSM rep stating how he is a terrorist lover for not backing his country and worrying about controlling terrorism.

I wish you all the best. It is shaping up to be one massive civil world war. I believe that one of our countries is going to spark the other. Not against each other but spark us by starting their civil war. If it happens on the island first then I'm sure it will follow here quickly. People need to wake up and put this kind of dictatorship down before it is too late.

God bless you all over there and good luck.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Neon Haze

open your eyes its time to use them
cause the way its going you could soon lose them
we are fast becoming a big brother state
and if we dont act now its gonna be to late
i aint joking this aint a game
things will change it wont be the same
they want the right to lock you away
if they get what they want you will have no say
so its 42 days without a charge
42 days you can be held at large
no contact with the outside world
no letter no visit from yer girl
no right to a lawyer not even a call
so heres the court and we have the ball
dont vote for a man you know you cant trust
whose laws live in books covered in dust
there is no honest politician
each one has a personal mission
and it really aint about you and me
to him all we are is his industry
we line his pockets and make him wealthy
as he signs bills that make us less healthy
more taxes higher rates and global warming
more wars less rights please watch the warnings
for your mother your daugher and your son
really right now the time has come
stand up my friends the revolution is here
do nothing just watch and it will all become clear

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Wooow serenecalamityz that is just amazing!! Thank you

You crystallise the issues so well, though the beauty of how you construct the creative writing it's subject is anything but beautiful.

Thanks for your post

Power to the People,

NeoN HaZe

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

I didn't say that's how I felt about the situation, I'm just offering a realistic viewpoint based on past experiences. Nobody was out demonstrating in the streets at previous civil liberty losses and nobody will at this latest infringement. Bear in mind the last major civil unrest in this country was not about civil liberty infringements but poll tax.

Who's to say in the future the "terrorists" will be muslim, once these laws are put in place they stay in place, in a few years down the line people could be considered terrorists simply for protesting.

The recent redefining of what constitutes a terrorist or terrorist act includes the climate change protestors who halted the coal train today. Even wearing a provocative t-shirt can get you arrested under anti-terrorism laws. Being a member of Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth, or any organisation that wishes to "influence the Government" by "the use or threat [...]for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause" can be classed as being a member of a terrorist organisation. So that's me stuffed for sure. Anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating would do well to study the Definition of Terrorism. Very vague and open to interpretation isn't it?

Probably the next thing they'll introduce will be kangaroo courts and I doubt anyone will be out on the streets demonstrating about that either. After all they had indefinite internment and kangaroo courts in Northern Ireland for years and nobody batted an eyelid. Lets not forget the people interned and committed without trial or jury in NI were white, British, Christian citizens (whether or not they agreed with the British bit).

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Sorry if I implied that was how you felt, that wasn't my intention, I wholeheartedly agree with your post, I think it really boils down to how informed someone chooses to be, regardless of whats happening in there life.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Thanx for the reply. I wish you peace love and many flowers

Parliment Squares

everyday im filled with revolution
make it my buisness to help with the solution
sick of the wars famine and pollution
but i know in my heart there will be retribution
you see if we dont do something and really soon
it will be people like me that end in doom
as the laws they pass are making it clear
the last thing they want is the deaf to hear
and truth be told we out number them greatly
infact you could say we're the majority
so instead of sitting with no idea
tell someone else of your greatest fears
spread the message pass the word
the worse that can happen people think you absurd
there are those that think its all conspriracy
they are the ones i speak with frequently
cause if i can prove what im saying is true
that is one more that we can add to this crew
and im not preaching violence, i loath all war
but idiots that rule us i cannot abhor
do you realise if we all walked together
stood at the door of where parliments gather
and told them to take there things and go
from now on the world run by a different show
there would be no need to take up arms
as we would out number them by swarms
a peaceful seizure of parliment square
and finally a new age where all is fair
sounds to simplistic? i beg to disagree
whats so wrong with wanting to be free?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I'm posting on this thread again because I think it's important to recognise a democratic triumph in the UK last night, when the House of Lords heavily defeated the bill to increase possible periods of detention to 42 days, effectively ending it once and for all. This is a massive climb down on the part of the UK government.

That it was the unelected House of Lords who are responsible for stopping this mindless, suppressive nonsense becoming law, rather than their democratically elected colleagues in the commons, says everything you need to know about perversions of powere structures in this country, and is another persuasive argument that we need that unelected body more than ever...

LW

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Peers have rejected the government's call to extend the pre-charge detention limit from 28 to 42 days.

But the government said the 42 days plan could be re-introduced in future.

BBC

Just thought you needed to know !

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
What annoys me the most is the utter indifference of the general British public. 42 days they said, only terrorists need worry blah, blah.

Reminds me of the 80s' and the Miners strike.... seems Arthur Scargill was a visionary:

What does seem clear is that many of his predictions have come true. On the appointment of Ian MacGregor as head of the Coal Board in 1983, Scargill stated, "The policies of this government are clear - to destroy the coal industry and the NUM."[2] This became something of a joke, as it seemed a hysterical response. During the strike, Scargill constantly claimed that the government had a long-term strategy to destroy the industry, and that it listed pits it wanted to close each year; this was both denied by the government, and dismissed by the public as paranoid. Of the 170 British pits in 1984, however, only 15 were still open at the time of privatisation in December 1994.

Back then, then wannbe British middle class and Daily Mail readers believed all the bull# and demonization of the Miners and more so Scargill.... today these very sheeple are whinging about energy prices, home repossesions and the fact that their pathetic service based jobs and home businesses are disappearing in the blink of a eye.

If only they'd listened back then our economy and rights wouldn't be build on a bedrock of quicksand.

Not to mention the Conservatives pissed away the oil/gas wealth of the nation... no Norwegian oil fund for future generations (uless you were weathly enough to buy shares in BP!)

Times are tight, the ruse is unravelling so the Corporate Gangsters are cracking down but to be honest the people are so goddamn dumb they needn't bother.... they could round them all up into Vernichtungslager with some electronic consumer tat or a bottle of wine on the end of the fishing rod.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus

But the government said the 42 days plan could be re-introduced in future.

BBC

Just thought you needed to know !

Yes, but they would say that, wouldn't they?! The reality is that the blind arrogance that allowed them to believe they could push this through whether we liked it or not has been thwarted, and every victory, however small, counts in my book.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Why is the title of this thread an outright lie? The 42 day terrorist law was thrown out of the House of Lords this afternoon so why were you telling everyone yesterday that it had been passed? Or was it that you were predicting it would be passed? If so, your predictions for the future were way off the mark. . .
I can't for the life of me understand why you posted this thread!

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes I heard the bill had been thrown out as well, in fact at the time I was actually standing next to the Magna Carta in The House of Lords! One of the staff there mentioned it had been thrown out yesterday.

[edit on 14/10/2008 by GrooveCat]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

The date of the OP is the 12th June, not October, when the Bill passed through Parliament. At that time, it was looking like it would go through the Lords, but as we found out yesterday, they threw it out overwhelmingly.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
New Labour need new problems to run away from their record. New Labour need new laws to detain innocents (police say if they aren't CPS worth after 28 days they won't be in 42), to look Brown tough. I think we are supposed to sleep safely in our beds if Brown is in charge and vote for him at the next as a leader, when most of his 'blood' are innocent people locked up way beyond where they should, and well, words fail me.

top topics

join