It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schrödinger's Cat

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Unlike some others, I happen to agree with you about the cat and the attempt to stuff said critter into small enclosed spaces; don't ask how I know, I still have the scars. However, I AM curious about the cats foreknowledge concerning the contents of the box; do cats instinctively know what radioactive materials are? and are they able somehow to detect toxic gas inside a sealed vial? Just curious...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
iv read all posts and im going to add my 2 cents

when i first read this paradox i thought this is completely stupid

Observing something doesn't mean it exists or doesn't exist, because the object in question will exists anyway even if u don't observe it, it just wont exist TO YOU.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If anyone wanted to go off on a berserk tangent regarding this subject, they could try this:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't think the experiment was ever supposed to be analyzed this much, it's simply and example as to why quantum particles can't be observed without making them stick to one state.

The more head-imploding question is (along the same lines): is the world still there if we're not looking at it?

I think most of this proves that no one understands quantum physics. I do however, take great offence at the poster on the first page calling this "idiocies" or whatnot. Some people are scientists, others aren't.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

While fiction I certainly wouldn't consider it a massive tangent. R.A.W. knew what he was doing when he messed with peoples minds. "The Illuminatus Trilogy" (which he co-wrote with Robert Shea) is also heavily steeped in his iconoclastic interpretation of everything.

Though I will say his non-fiction work is great when it comes to this stuff, especially the book "coincidance" which deals with both quantum theory and entanglement as well as other various topics from finnegans wake to the Marquis de sade. All the various essays are connected and interwoven with the simple thread of the entire book...perception.

R.A.W. in my opinion is a great author when it comes to mixing fun and knowledge.

It's like having david mamet explain the universe to you. There's a lot of violence and swearing but he really gets his point across in a powerful way.

This is just my opinion of course and as always.

Oh and if you google the book, it is in fact called "Coincidance" that's not a typo.

RAWRIP,

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiderj

Indeed, Sir. Indeed. I've read Wilson heavily, including Coincidance. I wrote a thread in this forum on his title Quantum Psychology. Have you read that and Prometheus Rising?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You know I never have actually read prometheus rising, but I have read quite a bit of his other works including Quantum Psychology...gots to know how my software works man!

The menu is not the meal

spiderj

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
You know I never have actually read prometheus rising, but I have read quite a bit of his other works including Quantum Psychology...gots to know how my software works man!

It has been said that Quantum Psychology was the sequal to Prometheus Rising, but I think they both expand upon each other nicely no matter which you read first.

The menu is not the meal

spiderj

Hail!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
someone been watching The Big Bang Theory recently?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
the statement below says,
GODISNOWHERE.
what ?because it says opposite things, to some it says: god is no where, to others it says: god is now here. which is true? they both are, is it possible? The theory of the cats eyes was discovered by the reflection of light that came from a cars headlight, just think if the cat was walking in the opposite direction,and we have the pencil sharpener.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I figured out this lil puzzle.

The cats in there somewhere

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Mmm cats and crackers my favorite...and Schrodingers too.

But the question you have to ask yourself is this does the light stay on when you close the door? Or is the light both on and off until you open the fridge door.

Or...is the cat just playing with the light.

spiderj

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I figured out this lil puzzle.

The cats in there somewhere

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

This
IS
not
A
ONE
liner.
Rather a 8.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
the cat is represented as being In two states live or dead cat alive+cyanide =dead cat when the cyanide is released the cat will react (energy release) inside the box but when the cat moves in the box that is transfered to the box
you do not need to witness the event you just need to be able to realize the reaction of that cat when the cyanide is release
the cat=alive=movement
cyanide released in box cat reacts sudden increase of movement of the cat in the box cat stops moving cat=dead
place box on device that measures movement of the box
therefore the box moves suddenly and stops the cat has changed states

quantum string theory would resolve this paradox and be able to determine the state of the cat by measuring the sudden movement of the box while changing states

quantum filaments vibrate at various freqencies and energy states

[edit on 23-6-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: UK Wizard
Without opening the box and presuming we can't see inside the box with any other means how are we to determine whether the cat is alive or dead before the opening of the box at the allotted hour?

- Shake the box for a reaction.
- Pour catnip on the box and the cat could smell it.
- Dunk the box in water and see if the cat yelps. (but that's mean).

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join