It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

NBA Conspiracy

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Don't know if anyones interested or if its been mentioned, but there has been a lot of talk about a conspiracy in the NBA. A littl background for those of you who may not know: Tim Donaghy was an NBA official who was arrested in 2007 for betting on games. In an attempt to reduce his sentencing, he has told authorities that two of his colleagues were told by NBA administrators to make sure that game 6 of the 2002 western conference finals was won by the Lakers, to force a game 7 and increase revenue. The Lakers narrowly won the game by making an incredible 18 foul shots in the fourth quarter, in what many have called the worst officiated game in NBA history. NBA commissioner David Stern has added to the controversy by brushing off these claims by say Donaghy is a felon and not to be trusted.

Now, studies using mathematics have came out to support his claims, and go further to say that since 2000 , the stats show there have been an unusual amount of game 7's.



Mathematics estimate (formula below) that a NBA Playoff series will go the full seven games approximately 18% of the time. Since 2000, a surprisingly large 26% of non-first round NBA Series have extended to the maximum seven games. That’s 44% more often than expected. That’s 16 of 62 Series when only 11 would have been expected. RJ Bell of Pregame.com said: “The odds of this increase happening randomly are less than 1%, approximately 180 to 1.”

Why consider non-first round Series only? Two reasons: A) First round Series were only five games before 2003. B) If the league did attempt to extend a Series for financial gain, the gain, and thus the temptation, would have been much less in the first round.

The math behind the estimate that 18% of Series should go seven games? Assume the average favorite has a 60% chance to win the Series (sometimes the better team will have a better chance than that, sometimes worse; 60% is a solid average estimate). The odds of a series extending to 7 games is: P(favorite winning at least 4 of 7 games) + P(underdog winning at least 4 of 7 games) – P(favorite sweeping 4 ) – P(underdog sweeping 4) – P(favorite winning exactly 4 of 5) - P(underdog winning exactly 4 of 5) - P(favorite winning exactly 4 of 6) - P(underdog winning exactly 4 of 6).

44% more Game 7s than expected clearly supports Tim Donaghy’s claim that the NBA Playoffs are officiated with the agenda of extending Series as long as possible.


Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


Not exactly a world ending conspiracy, but none the less serious seeing as how they may have been giving consumers a false product that they help put hundreds of millions of dollars into the organization. Also, this comes off a wave of allegations of cheating and coverups in other professional sports, steriods in baseball, Spygate in football.




posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This brought back memories of the old game show era when many of the top rated shows where fixed. Also the Radio scandle of the early 60's known as payola. They paid the best disc jockies to play certain tunes to expand the market. I remember quite a few of the best on the air payed dearly for that little problem. I have always thought that major sports had an element of "crafting" games during the playoffs and final bowls. Lookslike I might have been right!
Zindo



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone
 


Yeah, I remeber hearing about the gameshow thig. Quick point about payola, thats a coverup in itself. I have read reports of several DJ's that claim that this is still happening on a massive scale. I think I'm gonna look into it and start a thread.

Some more food for thought. Many conspiracy types feel that professional sports are used as a tool to keep people occupied so as to not be concerned with the government. Perhaps the willingness of the NBA to purposefully make series more interesting and longer speaks to that? Also, don't be suprised if congress doesn't hold special investigations into this, there has already been talk of it. I can already see these investigations occurring and the Bush conveniently attacking Iran or do something else crazy while there distracted. Just a thought.



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
this lends more credence to the theory that the NBA exerts control over the league. For example, it is a somewhat common conspiracy theory that draft picks like Patrick Ewing were rigged to ensure that a top market team (NY in this case) would get the top pick. If you go back thru the drafts, whenever there was a top pick that was one of those players that everyone knew would be huge and would make that team a contender all by themselves, they wound up on large market teams.

another conspiracy that no longer seems so random is the original michael jordan retirement. Rumor has it he was in trouble for gambling so the league suspended him by means of having him retire.



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm sure that it is still happening. And I have a feeling you are right on government involvement in major sports. They keep trying to force NASCAR to start using alchohol instead of racing fuel. Among other things the EPA has in mind for it, and racing as a whole. They even wanted mufflers. SCCA fell in line because EPA noise regs that local goverments where pushing. Many old tracks have been closed using the EPA by neighbors who moved in after the fact. Shooting ranges are now the target. We have a real large problem with that here in Conn. now.

Zindo



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur
 


Interesting, I never hear of the Jordan theory. I can't find the article now, but I read that the owner of the Grizzlies admitted that he gave up Gasol for practically nothing. Much like the Ewing incident, the league could have pushed for it to get the Lakers back to the top. Also, there were claims of Seattle doing the exact same thing with Ray Allen to the Celtics. It seems funny that these blockbuster trades were made for nothing in return, to two teams that weren't that good, and now there in the finals. And it just so happens its two of the NBA's biggest teams, and perhaps the biggest historical rivalry.

I really have lost a ton of credibility in the league at this point. If these allegations prove to be true, there should be a class action lawsuit or something of that affect filed against the NBA.



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Sport Leagues used to go belly up regularly in the US. To think that the NBA has gone on so long without dissolving. Amazing! I gave up in 2002 after watching the whole season with the NBA package where you get every game every night. I had basketballs in my eyes after the season started to wear on, and I've been a fan since 79 watching regularly.
So after the obvious rigging of too many games to count during those 2002 playoffs I wrote a letter to david stern calling him out for turning a 'supposed sport' into a WWF wrestling style mock games. I mean I've gone to see the harlem globetrotters in the 70's.
The NBA is worse than those games but at least Meadlowlark Lemon had game! Forget the NBA. But I suppose I should also thank them for making the charade so blatant that I couldn't help but see the leaves for the trees. Bread and circus. And did you ever wonder why they keep adding more announcers to the mix? It's like they need to keep giving positively reinforcing suggestions to you telling you how to think about the blatant cheating and staged games. Ok, one guy plays devils advocate and you think they're just
observing....oh-kaaaaaay. I'm just neurotic I guess....



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The officiating in the NBA has been a joke from the jump, why is it that players like Jordan have there own rules, remember the Jordan rules what other sport does that, also why is it ok and accepted by the main stream sports media that it's ok that home teams get better calls there way and nothings ever said about it, the whole sport can be seen as a joke if it were based purley on officiating.



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
For example, it is a somewhat common conspiracy theory that draft picks like Patrick Ewing were rigged to ensure that a top market team (NY in this case) would get the top pick. If you go back thru the drafts, whenever there was a top pick that was one of those players that everyone knew would be huge and would make that team a contender all by themselves, they wound up on large market teams.


What about Shaquille O'Neal in '92 to Orlando or Tim Duncan in '97 to San Antonio? I'm not much of an NBA fan but are these two cities considered large markets in the NBA?



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky
 


I think Orlando was at the time, might still be. not sure about SA.



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
I'm sure that it is still happening.


Hard to believe that the Pats lost the superbowl. Almost seemed like they threw the game.



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I've been thinking the NBA is fixed for years. The fix is in a longer, drawn-out series, everybody makes a run to keep boring games close and big market teams/players get all the breaks. I listen to the Tim Donaghy thing on sports radio (espn) and on television and I find it pretty funny that people who have a stake in the sport (i.e. Van Gundy, Barkley, coaches, analysts, etc.) claim the fix or "rigging" doesn't occur. Of course they're going to deny this happens because their current/future professional career depends on it. Let's ask true sports fans if they think that "rigging" occurs and stop asking guys like Jeff Van Gundy, Charles Barkley, Greg Anthony, etc. if there's some illegit stuff going on. I choose to watch college basketball instead because the NBA has turned into an entertainment circus.



posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grambler
reply to post by ZindoDoone
 


Yeah, I remeber hearing about the gameshow thig. Quick point about payola, thats a coverup in itself. I have read reports of several DJ's that claim that this is still happening on a massive scale. I think I'm gonna look into it and start a thread.

Some more food for thought. Many conspiracy types feel that professional sports are used as a tool to keep people occupied so as to not be concerned with the government. Perhaps the willingness of the NBA to purposefully make series more interesting and longer speaks to that? Also, don't be suprised if congress doesn't hold special investigations into this, there has already been talk of it. I can already see these investigations occurring and the Bush conveniently attacking Iran or do something else crazy while there distracted. Just a thought.


I believe its called "Clear Channel" They own a huge number of radio stations nation wide and they manipulate what music and info is distributed. I believe they are the reason that Howard Stern moved to satellite.

Clear Channel



posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grambler
Don't know if anyones interested or if its been mentioned, but there has been a lot of talk about a conspiracy in the NBA. A littl background for those of you who may not know: Tim Donaghy was an NBA official who was arrested in 2007 for betting on games. In an attempt to reduce his sentencing, he has told authorities that two of his colleagues were told by NBA administrators to make sure that game 6 of the 2002 western conference finals was won by the Lakers, to force a game 7 and increase revenue. The Lakers narrowly won the game by making an incredible 18 foul shots in the fourth quarter, in what many have called the worst officiated game in NBA history. NBA commissioner David Stern has added to the controversy by brushing off these claims by say Donaghy is a felon and not to be trusted.

Now, studies using mathematics have came out to support his claims, and go further to say that since 2000 , the stats show there have been an unusual amount of game 7's.



Mathematics estimate (formula below) that a NBA Playoff series will go the full seven games approximately 18% of the time. Since 2000, a surprisingly large 26% of non-first round NBA Series have extended to the maximum seven games. That’s 44% more often than expected. That’s 16 of 62 Series when only 11 would have been expected. RJ Bell of Pregame.com said: “The odds of this increase happening randomly are less than 1%, approximately 180 to 1.”

Why consider non-first round Series only? Two reasons: A) First round Series were only five games before 2003. B) If the league did attempt to extend a Series for financial gain, the gain, and thus the temptation, would have been much less in the first round.

The math behind the estimate that 18% of Series should go seven games? Assume the average favorite has a 60% chance to win the Series (sometimes the better team will have a better chance than that, sometimes worse; 60% is a solid average estimate). The odds of a series extending to 7 games is: P(favorite winning at least 4 of 7 games) + P(underdog winning at least 4 of 7 games) – P(favorite sweeping 4 ) – P(underdog sweeping 4) – P(favorite winning exactly 4 of 5) - P(underdog winning exactly 4 of 5) - P(favorite winning exactly 4 of 6) - P(underdog winning exactly 4 of 6).

44% more Game 7s than expected clearly supports Tim Donaghy’s claim that the NBA Playoffs are officiated with the agenda of extending Series as long as possible.


Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


Not exactly a world ending conspiracy, but none the less serious seeing as how they may have been giving consumers a false product that they help put hundreds of millions of dollars into the organization. Also, this comes off a wave of allegations of cheating and coverups in other professional sports, steriods in baseball, Spygate in football.

This is EXACTLY why I quit watching professional sports years and years ago. It is obvious that the games were being rigged.



posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What about last years' Spurs/Suns series? The Suns shouldve been league champs last year, watch the tape:




posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
It doesn't suprise me that games could be fixed. They want to make as much money as possible.
It does make sense there have been times when I thought, "Is the ref blind? Something doesn't add up here."
I remember listening to my dad when I was younger during draft picks and he'd say, "Why'd they choose him?" Of course, this was football. I also remember, I think it might have been last year, with the draft pick, in football, that was just coming out of college and the draft commentators where talking about how he took drugs or drank waaaaay too much and was a jerk to his teammates or something and they were wondering why they would choose him or something. This guy was going up against another one who seemed like the better choice. I can't remember much about it.



posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ahh, the conspiracy subject I know most about. Sports are the reason I started to even think about conspiracies.

Many things to address here. First off, the Donaghy saga is a planned conspiracy, just like steroids, spygate, etc. Just like the Florida recount. What do these things have in common? You tell a little lie to cover up a big lie. So by talking about Donaghy in fixing games, it takes people away from thinking that every game is really fixed.

And that's the truth too. Everything is fixed. Refs can have a hand in it, but all of it is done through EM technology to produce whatever result the fixers choose. In 2004, it was reported that $380 billion was bet illegally. I wonder what the actual total per year bet is. The Elites want the max money on everything they can have, gambling money included. It's the original reason Vegas was created.

You know what's funny though is even if you know this, it's still not to your advantage to bet as sometimes they fix games to the obvious side as well.

The Patriots are the best example. 9/11 happens. The need to rally support for the US is necessary. What better way than to have the most popular sport be won be the Patriots for 2001, 2002 and 2004. Now when the country is more in the dumps than ever the Patriots go ridculously undefeated all the way to the Super Bowl where they crap out? C'mon the Elites want us to hate the US to turn the move for the NAU. All this has been scripted far in advance while the Elites make the maximum dollar through bettors in the process.

Sports is a great way to keep the masses from placing thier attention on more important things. Do you know where this was learned from? Rome. Most likely because it has been the same lineage of power for millenia but the Roman Empire used the exact same philosophy with the Colloseum, the Games, etc.

If I am to watch any sports anymore, it's for two reasons: one, because I can predict the fixed outcome with 99% certainty and I've dropped an investment on it. Or two, for sheer entertainment, I'm very bored, and will pick apart every single angle on how the game's fixed.

I'll copy over a post from another thread. The sports conspiracy is lame for sure.


"For the purpose of this post, I'm going to refer to the subjects as moles as that's how I've come to know them. I see common nomenclature at ATS is dis-info agents so I guess they are interchangable.

I first learned of moles from my gambling days during the Miami-Dallas NBA finals a few years ago. I was on a sick winning streak and my thread each day had a very flashy title (I was young and cocky). I was drawing a lot of views but started to notice a couple of users who were slandering me to the core trying to shake me. I won every single bet of that series with each thread bringing heavy bashers until the last game. I had posted my bet and the bashers were gone. Completely. The bet lost and I started to get curious as to where the bashers were.

Over time, I started to realize that everything might be fixed. Then I relaized I could tell which posters were moles and which were legit. I was able to take the opposite advice of the moles and made a lot of money. I stopped gambling long ago but I came to realize more or less how they worked.

Sports are scripted out far in advance. Sometimes things change towards the day of a match or game but overall, the outcome is known well in advance. The powers give the advanced results of games to internet moles and they set out to deter bettors from betting on the correct side. They have many diversonary tactics and stalk people who are winning. More people are catching on to this, so they have started creating aliases where they act normal for a period of time and then flip over to accomplish their agenda."



posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Universal Light
... Over time, I started to realize that everything might be fixed. Then I relaized I could tell which posters were moles and which were legit. I was able to take the opposite advice of the moles and made a lot of money. I stopped gambling long ago but I came to realize more or less how they worked.

Sports are scripted out far in advance. Sometimes things change towards the day of a match or game but overall, the outcome is known well in advance. The powers give the advanced results of games to internet moles and they set out to deter bettors from betting on the correct side. They have many diversonary tactics and stalk people who are winning. More people are catching on to this, so they have started creating aliases where they act normal for a period of time and then flip over to accomplish their agenda."


I would be interested in hearing more about this. More details, how to spot them, how they do their thing, etc. I believe information learned in such a manner can also be used to extend the knowledge to spotting disinfo agents, among other things.

Thanks.



posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
A lot of times when you see trades of a super star for "nothing", it's so the other team can clear the cap space to go after another super star in future years. I'm not saying that the league didn't push for these trades, its very possible.

If you want to look at a series that was in my opinion fixed, look at the Mavs vs. Heat. Those calls that Dwayne Wade got where just rediculous; he got calls when he wasn't even close to getting fouled. Of course Wade at that time was close to super star status if not one, but now all he's got is injuries. It's a shame, the Mavs should have one that one just like the Kings should of beat the Lakers in that game. There was the incident I think last year when the league made the Suns play short handed against the Spurs, all but giving the series to the Spurs. All the Suns players did was "step" onto the court, enough to draw a suspension.

Unlike the NFL, where a few teams choose to cheat, the NBA appears to be rigged (Patrick Ewing to NY, I don't even think they had that good of a chance to get that pick; its happening this year, Bulls get 1st pick, have like a 7% chance, all to put home town hero Rose back in Chi town).



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join