It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top UK MP quits over terror law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Top UK MP quits over terror law

news.bbc.co.uk

David Davis resigns from Commons

He is to force a by-election in his Haltemprice and Howden constituency which he will fight on the issue of the new 42-day terror detention limit.

Mr Davis, 59, told reporters outside the House of Commons he believed his move was a "noble endeavour" to stop the erosion of British civil liberties.

He told reporters outside the Commons: "I will argue in this by-election against the slow strangulation of fundamental British freedoms by this government."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hooray.....

A British MP has woken up.

This must really be a big kick in the behind for the rest of the government. I can see street parties attended by hundreds of thousands of conspiracy theorists in support of Mr. Davis.

Well done Mr. D.

It has come to something when it takes the lone bravery of a Tory MP and the house of Lords to protect civil liberties in this country

Peter Hearty, London
news.bbc.co.uk...

In his resignation statement, he said he feared 42 days was just the beginning and next "we'll next see 56 days, 70 days, 90 days."

But, he added: "In truth, 42 days is just one - perhaps the most salient example - of the insidious, surreptitious and relentless erosion of fundamental British freedoms."

He listed the growth of the "database state," government "snooping" ID cards, the erosion of jury trials and other issues.

"This cannot go on. It must be stopped and for that reason today I feel it is incumbent on me to make a stand," said Mr Davis.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, Mr Davis.

Perhaps you'd like to come and comment here on ATS?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Wow.. I was wondering when someone was going to post this.. (I don't do 'breaking news' in case I mess it up lol )

Now this is a politician I would actually bother to vote for..
One who stand by his beliefs enough to quit rather than stay quiet for the big fat cheques/bribes/pay-offs and perks..

My belief in humanity has raised.. just a tad..

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I'm with you on that one, Agent T.

It really is good to see someone of such stature making a stand.

Ok, he may note have the parliamentary powers under his belt but you can sure bet he has a lot of friends in a lot of high places still..

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

top topics

join