It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's make this the book review thread:

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I just read a book by Houstin Smith called The World's Religions. It was pretty much a brief description of the history and beliefs of the religions of the world such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, and the native traditions of Australia, Africa, Oceania and the Americas.
The World's Religions

It really helped me understand the language of the supreme divine force that created the Universe. I've always believed that there was such a force that created the Universe and it is within all of us and this book really stresses that that's what religions have believed.

I read the book and I gained invaluable insight from it. I used to be a nonbeliever before. It just helped me see that there is more to the world than just its physical aspect but that we as humans have a spiritual and mental aspect as well.

I would recommend this book because it contains powerful messages. This book really changed the way I viewed my life. I think it really opened my mind to the possibility of there being a metaphysical aspect of life as well in addition to the regular what we see aspect of it.

As you could say-- it opened my eyes to the possibilities of the all powerful divine.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
you know, there should be a book review forum, so that each book could have it's own thread and discussion. This thread is a great idea, but it does not allow, or promote discussion about single books - as the thread would just get out of control and confusing quickly as more and more reports bury discussions.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
has anyone read a book called The Dimensions of Paradise?

i just bought it and will read it as soon as i get done with my current book! ...it's supposed to be mind-blowing! David Wilcock recommended it on his most recent interview on Project Camelot:

www.projectcamelot.org...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I like the idea of a book review forum, but I also like the way this thread is working. It is nice to just click on this thread and scan through peoples quick reviews and see if there is anything you would like to read next.

I also like what other members have done with certain books. They are starting book study threads about specific books. I think that is a great idea.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Sorry for the off-topic post, but is anyone else experiencing problems accessing scribd.com?

I am starting to get withdrawal symptoms...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

It is still working fine for me. Maybe it was just a glitch?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
here's another book i recently purchased that should be in everyone's collection, if they'd like to know more about who's controlling most secret societies today:

Ignatius of Loyola, the first Superior General and "Black Pope" of the Society of Jesus, believed in Jesus as a "militant captain". personally, i don't think there's anything "holy" about war... this is a great book though, to familiarize yourself with the true powers-that-be, that are in charge to this day.

is there anyone else above them?

[edit on 21-9-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I just read Brave New World.

It's rather frightening. It was like what the world would be like if mothers didn't give birth to children.

I was scared by it. It showed how people could be conditioned really easily. I can actually see Aldus Huxley's world coming a reality.

This book is the example of what happens when we would abolish liberty, and religion. It's frightening. It was frightening to me because it's all possible. How life would be like without a mother... how society would change if everyone belonged to everyone else and no one was faithful to one another.

It's very scary. It paints a clear picture about reality about what could happen if we go on a certain road.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I loved 1984 and I have always wanted to read Brave New World. Has anyone found an online version of it?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I don't think so but you can find it online:

Brave New World

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Conan Doyle's Wallet: The Secrets Within

I read this new book about the afterlife and Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a great read and answers a lot of questions about how we live after death and what we should do in our lives to make the progression after death better. Basically, it follows the law of cause and affect in that if you do good and are good to others you build a better existence for yourself in the next world. Do unto other s as you have them do on to you. Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holes Creator) communicated with the author, Patrick McNamara who is a psychic medium, after he bought his original wallet in an auction. He communicates and inspires Patrick to give his his take on the afterlife. There is a great trance session with Arthur Conan Doyle answering questions, and relatively unknown story of arch sceptic Harry Houdini's return from the beyond when he gave a 10 part secret code to Arthur Ford over ten sessions which was verified by his wife as the code that they both agreed upon before his death. Amazing story. There are lots of other chapters for those interested in psychic and spiritual matters. Here is the link if you are interested!!

www.amazon.com...=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218563139&sr=8-1

[edit on 1-10-2008 by wobbly]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
*bump*
Great topic, we need a thread for this

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

This looks like it could be it.

www.huxley.net...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Some good free ebooks available here.

Including holographic universe

www.exopoliticshongkong.com...

[edit on 22/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Well, I finally finished Quantum Psychology by RAW.

Great book, I really enjoy Wilson's style. He definitely makes you re-evaluate you views of reality. Sometimes I hesitate in recommending him to friends because he can get pretty colorful in his thoughts on religion. It doesn't bother me but I know others aren't as open to it.

If you are a fan of Wilson's and you haven't read Quantum Psychology, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

I just started reading "The Holotropic Mind" by Stanislav Grof. It looks to be another great read concerning the nature of reality. I will hopefully get a review up sooner rather than later this time.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
This is actually a B. A. thesis from the University of Gothenburg (Sweden), but I think many would find it highly interesting, even inspiring.
(I know I do.)

AND it's freely available online.

Collection and Dissolution:
wholeness, the creative process, and the limitations of text

by Barrie James Sutcliffe

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Here is another book that should be read by anyone interested in the phenomenon called "consciousness":

The User Illusion,
by Tor Norretranders.

Here's a review that presents the main points of the book.

And here is another (better) one.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I finished Ishmael. www.scribd.com...

I'll be honest, this book had a pretty profound impact on me. I was impressed with how powerful 160 pages can be.

If you are generally dissatisfied with the direction that the world is heading, you may want to read this book. It didn't exactly inspire me into believing that we are capable of turning things around but it did explain a lot of the reasons why I view things the way that I do.

Anyways, good book... a must read in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Vijnana Bhairava

A book very ancient...

A book very special...

[edit on 2-11-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Hello

I'm not sure if this is derailing the thread, but I enjoyed reading the following:

The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-Lost Civilization by Colin Wilson and Rand Flem-Ath

and

The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond

Cheers

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join