It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama baulks at Sharon Stone's 'karma' quake remark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Dalai Lama baulks at Sharon Stone's 'karma' quake remark

Thu Jun 12, 2:07 AM ET

SYDNEY (AFP) - The Dalai Lama distanced himself Thursday from Hollywood star Sharon Stone's controversial comment that China's earthquake was bad "karma" for its handling of Tibet.

Stone cited the Tibetan spiritual leader as her "good friend" when she made the remark at the Cannes film festival last month.

Confirming "yes, I've met that lady", the Dalai Lama told a news conference in Sydney he did not share her viewpoint on the May 12 quake that killed nearly 70,000 people.

"Of course from a Buddhist viewpoint, every event is karma," the 72-year-old monk said.

"Tragedy in Tibet, tragedy in Burma (Myanmar), tragedy in China, all this is karmic ... but her particular sort of comment -- that I don't know."

Stone has apologised for the remark, which sparked outrage in China and prompted Christian Dior to drop her from its advertisements in the country.

On May 12, a massive earthquake struck China's southwest Sichuan province, leaving nearly 88,000 people dead or missing.

The tragedy occurred after Tibet was rocked by unrest in March, when the Dalai Lama's aides estimate 203 people were killed in protests against Chinese rule and a subsequent crackdown in the region.

China says it killed no one and that "rioters" were responsible for 21 deaths.

it seems that everybody is tring to distance themselvs from her

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
And gays were the reason for 9/11, I'll bet, huh Sharon?

Everyone has a right to speak, but goddamn, not everyone has a right to a microphone.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

It doesn't sound like he distanced himself or balked he just very gently and classily corrected Sharon Stone. All events are Karmic I am going to remember that. Sharon Stone is not a Saint or a roll model so people should not be so surprised.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
yes,you are righ,it is not that obvious that he is distancing here,but the cold comment "yes, I've met that lady"on stone's claim they are good friends must be very hurtful.and that is the report's title,maybe people's understanding is different.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
dalailama huh? quite a hypocrite.

he would rather to betray his comrades to save his reputation.

i don't care what do-lie lama says about anything. and there is no need to quote do-lie lama to prove a hollywood clown is wrong.

i think do-lie lama is desperate now. since he has nothing to hold and the time is running out. his big dream about return in power and enslave our people will be officially ended

[edit on 12-6-2008 by zhangxi0183]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I'll never be surprised by anything a person who gets to be who they are because of titilating the masses says, i'm sad to say.

What the Lama isn't going to do, obviously, is claim that she's a fraud and is capable of turning what other people say to her own means (or turning what other people say into something completely and utterly ridiculous, possibly to get a few giggles from her film star friends, the vapid *snip*).

He's not one to give into negative thoughts, that one.

This is symptomatic of China's rather sudden appearance on the world stage though, so i suppose it's only natural for one or two influentials in the western world to get a little trigger-happy with the new change.

top topics

join