It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy: Games and Giggles.

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Huzzah for this new forum.

For a topical but light hearted thread in this new forum here is a page which offers some interesting ways to amuse yourself either for a few minutes or possibly, if you wish to thoroughly consider all aspects of your answers to certain questions, quite some time:

Games and Interactive Activities

Welcome to our games and interactive activities section. This has been developed as part of an on-going commitment to make TPM Online more interactive. We are going to be adding to this section consistently, so I suggest that you bookmark the page and check back often. Also, we are always looking for suggestions for new material, so if you have any good ideas contact us here.

* Do-It-Yourself Deity - Can you construct the perfect God? We somehow doubt it!

* Taboo - Moral judgements, chickens and the yuk-factor. How do you measure up?

* Interactive Philosophy Quiz - Test your knowledge of philosophy in this interactive quiz. See if you can silence your computer opponent.

* Battleground God - Will your beliefs about God and religion survive on our intellectual battlefield? Now's your chance to find out!

* Morality Play - How do your moral judgments match up against those of other people? How broad a range of moral principles do you invoke when making moral judgments? Find out about your moral framework here.

* Shakespeare vs. Britney Spears - What is art? Which artists produce the greatest works of art? Discover the answers here.

* Strange New World - Are you brave enough?

* The Philosophical Health Check - Is your thinking up to scratch? Take our philosophical health check to find out.

* Staying Alive - do you have what it takes to stay alive? Find out in our game of personal identity!

* So you think you're logical? Maybe we're not quite as logical as we like to think we are!

* Dealing with Induction - a game of cards, philosophy and logic!

Have fun and feel free to offer any comment about results/questions etc.

Jak

[edit on 12/6/08 by JAK]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I love stuff like that! I was a bit surprised by my score on the morals tests. I'm not sure if it's good or bad! I might be a relativist.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This question in the morality-game was interesting:

You are able to help some people. Unfortunately, you can only do so by harming other people. The number of people harmed will always be 10 percent of those helped. When considering whether it is morally justified to help does the actual number of people involved make any difference? For example, does it make a difference if you are helping ten people by harming one person rather than helping 100,000 people by harming 10,000 people?

The reason I found it and other similar questions interesting is because its the type of reasoning used to recruit people for operations connected to military and intelligence operations that may involve ending peoples lives.

I dont however have a definite answer to the question.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Kind of makes you wonder if all the surveys and quizes are designed to gain a candid opinion of the public by which to gauge social, political, and military policy...or at least determine how to communicate to the public when policy is implemented...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Thank you for those links. Learned a lot of new stuff about myself, however at least logic didn't fail me! Those guys really invested time and thought into it - except for cheap cards trick
!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

[From the same morality game] In Question 13 you were asked the following: You see an advertisement from a charity in a newspaper about a person in severe need in India. You can help this person at little cost to yourself. Are you morally obliged to do so?

However, fifty percent of people undertaking this activity are asked a slightly different question, where the country Australia is substituted for the country India.

How diabolical!

Covert intelligence gathering at it's finest, i would never have even considered there would be an ulterior motive to the question other than to discover my morality 'parsimony' (Which is apparently below average).

I'm going to have a look at a few of these other 'philosophical' games, thanks for letting us know about them, OP!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I loved the "What is art?" game.

Interesting discussion question: What is art?

If I´d define art to mean something that touches or shifts me emotionally then I´d have to discard half of all art I see.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Well, i just huffed n puffed n scratched my head through the morality test, phew! there were some tough questions.
It was good to see the percentage of people who ageed or disagreed with me.
Now for something a little less tasking!

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Haha these are awesome, what a coincedence that I just found those a few days ago...

That Make your own god one is great as well as the the ethics stories.

top topics

join