It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has satanism infiltrated "Christian" rock?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I found this really interesting website while searching for some info. on the internet, and let me tell you, it's pretty damn interesting as well as scary.

Link

The part that really grabbed my attention was the part about Michael W. Smith, probably the biggest star in all of Christian music. He uses satanic symbolism on his album covers, even going so far as to pose his body in the shape of a runic symbol on one album in particular. Here's an excerpt:

....Michael W. Smith's Christmastime album has the most bizarre album cover I have ever seen. Michael W. Smith is simply standing on a chair in some weird stance. What in the world is he doing? During a slide presentation on Christian Rock, I displayed Smith's Christmastime album cover and remarked "what a bizarre cover it was. And I had no idea what Smith was doing!" After the presentation, a man came forward and told me that Michael was "runing". He was forming the runic "T" and the bottom of the chair (we enclosed it in red) is forming the runic "M"! It is clearly taking place! Unbelievable!....

*Images available in the link*

I can sort of understand this symbology being used in your average, run of the mill rock 'n' roll, but the use of it in Christian music is extremely bizarre.

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I found this really interesting website while searching for some info. on the internet, and let me tell you, it's pretty damn interesting as well as scary.

Link

Kind of interesting the link is "http://www.av1611.org/crock/crockex2.html" because it does indeed seem to be a 'crock'. I think there's some symbolism within the web address itself there that warrants looking into in a freudian slip kind of way.

He uses satanic symbolism on his album covers, even going so far as to pose his body in the shape of a runic symbol on one album in particular. Here's an excerpt:

Where was the satanic symobolism in this link?

I can sort of understand this symbology being used in your average, run of the mill rock 'n' roll,

There are some styles, artworks and so forth that's borrowed from mainstream rock, but not satanicly based. I agree Christian music should be able to stand on its own, yet, the market buys pop.

I wouldn't classify Michael W. Smith as rock 'n roll. His music puts me to sleep and usually have to change it. Christian rock would be Sanctus Real, Casting Crowns, Jars of Clay, etc.

but the use of it in Christian music is extremely bizarre.

Not everyone in Christian music is Christian. As much as I and perhaps others would like to think that's the case, it is a money making industry that involves many people who...well, like making money whether they're Christian or not. Even if you got a room full of people who all claimed they were Christian, there's a good odds that at least one of them isn't.

The biggest issue you seem to have here that there may be two runic symbols on M.W. Smith's album art. Let's suppose for one second (even though we can be pretty sure it's not the case) that Michael himself selected these two runes. Knowing the history of runes, we know they were a form of language and communication. One would also have to believe these letter (which is what a rune is) has mystical/magical powers. To those who are familiar with imbueing, things by nature of themselves in existance do not contain these powers. There would have to be ritualistic incantation to imbue the rune with power. Are you suggested then Michael did this to these letters on each CD? And that the receiver would also be influenced by this craft?

Among these symbols also is a bass-clef and a 3 instead of an E. Should we not assume also that he's actually a bass instead of a tenor and has 3 heads instead of the visible one?

Peace

For someone who says "peace", this post really was by design to incite some kind of angry response. Be careful who you suggest is a hypocrite.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Michael W. Smith's Christmastime album has the most bizarre album cover I have ever seen.

Awww man!!!! I like Michael W. Smith too. I have a couple cds even. Guess I have some studing to truly do.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Where was the satanic symobolism in this link?

I don't want to argue semantics so I'm going to ask you right off the bat, do you consider runes to be occultic/satanic?

Not everyone in Christian music is Christian. As much as I and perhaps others would like to think that's the case, it is a money making industry that involves many people who...well, like making money whether they're Christian or not. Even if you got a room full of people who all claimed they were Christian, there's a good odds that one of them isn't.

Which Christian singer is not Christian?? I don't need a list, just one.

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I am so sorry but someone needs to say it.
Christianity is Satanism at this point.
I'm sure in the very begining Christianity was purely a following of the teachings of Christ. The problem is, We have no friggin clue what those teachings are/were anymore.
For those of you who say "No, cbass that's where you are wrong, The good book tells me all about Jesus and his teachings". I would submit to you that the bible started out including over 600 books. We are now down to just 66.Your great grandparents read a different bible than we do today, with a few more books included. Modernday "Christianity" stems from Catholosizm. Who in theor right minds can argue that Catholisizm is not evil.
So don't be too shocked. The same thing that makes the world go 'round
makes the christian religion go 'round and we all know what that is don't we? Say it with me class.........MMMMM....MMMMMM.....Money!
Good.
It is a shame that we have no heros to look up to anymore.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
Awww man!!!! I like Michael W. Smith too. I have a couple cds even. Guess I have some studing to truly do.

I do hope you're kidding. If you're this easily swayed by propaganda, then please allow me to pray for you for more faith and fortitude. Ask yourself these questions: Is the author of that site (or even the original poster) a believer in God, a Christian who really wants the best for you as a Christian? Are they trying to build you up or tear you down? What does Michael W. Smith sing about? What do his lyrics say? What do people hear?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I don't want to argue semantics

Of course not. This is why you want "peace" right? By starting threads to get people up and arms either defending or bashing Christians.

so I'm going to ask you right off the bat, do you consider runes to be occultic/satanic?

Runes can be used in the occult. English can be used in Satanism. Is English Satanic? LO! How evil are Christians for speaking English!

Which Christian singer is not Christian?? I don't need a list, just one.

First, I did not say singers. It take more than 1 singer to produce an album.

Second, you or I are not qualified to say "yes, this person is a Christian" or "no they are not". According to Christianity itself, that is for God to judge, not us. We can merely accept or reject the information we receive as good or not good. Remember, the example of Christianity is Christ, not any other person. If you LISTENED to Michael W. Smith's lyrics, you'd know that.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full, in his wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of his glory and grace

www.lyricsmania.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I do hope you're kidding. If you're this easily swayed by propaganda,

I said I have some studying to do! Surely it will be ok if I study about this on my own?

So If you're this easily unread by what I said, then please allow me to pray for you for more faith and fortitude.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
As far as the critique of Michael W. Smith's album art goes, I think more is being read into it then is actually there.

I have been an art director for well over a decade. The art director is paid to provide striking imagery. It is the art director who directs the photo shoots, not the client.

Now, if the art director chose to intentionally insert subtle imagery with double or dubious meaning, how is the client to know? The client could very well just have thought, "Gee, that looks cool!" and be none the wiser.

So, what we really should be asking is this: Did Smith realize that the imagery presented on his album covers could be construed as something satanic? Or, did he simply have faith that his record label and public relations team would be responsible enough to ensure his reputation not be tarnished.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I don't want to argue semantics

Of course not. This is why you want "peace" right? By starting threads to get people up and arms either defending or bashing Christians.

Sorry dude, you've completely lost me. There's like five posts in this thread and you're already way out in left field. What are you talking about?

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thank you maria, that was well said. And again, runic letters neither began with nor are owned by Satanism.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous pages I've ever seen. The runes are satanic? The wadjet is satanic? An infinity loop is satanic? I thought THAT sucker was mathematical

"Sweet Home Alabama" is satanic? Look, I loathe that bunch of crash-and-burn rednecks as much as any other person with taste in music, but really...

link   

Sorry dude, you've completely lost me. There's like five posts in this thread and you're already way out in left field. What are you talking about?

Peace

Oh those silly believers, they're nutcases aren't they? Can't even hold an intellient conversation.

link   
Hey thanks for the link. As a Pagan Occultist myself, this whole topic makes me chuckle. And i do not care for Michael W. Smith. And i have not heard of "runing" before, not sure what it would be used for. And why is he and the chair
"runing" a T and a M. What does that stand for? Why not at least a "M" and a "W" and a "S". But then again who knows that that sneaky satan of yours is up to....that rascal!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I said I have some studying to do! Surely it will be ok if I study about this on my own?

Studying is good so long is what it is you're studying is true.

So If you're this easily unread by what I said,

Not sure why there was pause to go back and study based on that website. Apologies if I was misunderstood.

then please allow me to pray for you for more faith and fortitude.

Surely, that would be a great help. One can never have too much faith and fortitude around here. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Interesting and maybe it's something to keep an eye out for but all the Christian music I listen to is just that. They sing praises and love to God and attempt to strengthen the faith of the listener. I find it very uplifting.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Question for you KL, would it matter to you if a "Christian" singer you enjoyed listening to was not a Christian?

Peace

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I can find God and faith in many types of music so I wouldn't have a problem if a 'non-Christian' singer sung the praises of God or had God playing through them.

I can hear God in beautiful acoustic guitar performances by Alex De Grassi or John Williams, I can see God in a scape by Claude Monet, I can hear God between the notes sung by Pavarotti or in a sunset, I can hear and see God in many things that may or may not have labels attached to them.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Growing up in a Christian home my entire life I can tell you that alot of the "christian rock" bands out there are not christian. Alot of the bands don't even mention jesus one time. Take Switchfoot for example, they are a very famous "christian band" and they maybe sing about jesus or christian related matters in like two songs.

A non christian person would probably not be able to tell the difference between christian rock or secular rock now.

Avenged Sevenfold is a hardcore/metal band and they are not christian. I guarantee you they sing more and probably know more about the bible than most christian bands.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I have to admit, I laughed when they used the singing of Sweet Home Alabama by Third Day as an example of Satanic influence. And then because Smitty wrote his name backwards... I was amused, needless to say

Shar, check it out, study it, but I wouldn't say seek satanic symbols in the art. In most cases, the artists don't do the art for their albums, though they approve it. Instead, test the lyrics against scripture. If they don't match, there's a problem. If they do... What's the problem?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join