It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If 18 Year Olds are Old Enough to go to War, Then Why can't They Buy a Beer?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Have you been in a sexual relationship yet?

OF COURSE he's been in a sexual relationship!.....with his right hand.....

SORRY SORRY SORRY! I know that was uncalled for! I just couldnt pass it up i mean, come on, how perfect of an opportunity is that?!?!?!

ok back on topic.

it is pretty funny when you think about it, the completel hipocrisy of you can die for US......but you cant die for YOU.

ha! but with whoevers (elixir's..i think?) proposed age limits, the only problem lies within the fact that until you reach the age, you dont know what you are capable of. and therein lies the problem with law makers, theyve passed the age of the popel it is truly affecting.

if we could freeze ouselves, or better yet TIME TRAVEL....laws would be much better
but i know that wont come around for AT LEAST another...oh say.....3...maybe 4 weeks?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I refuse.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
there was a bit of a thing about this in the U.K lately, at present it's:

16 to have sex, marry, pay taxes, join the army.

17 to drive

18 to drink.

That's it really except you can legally drink from 5 years old with your parents.

There's a bit of a row about giving 16 years the vote seeing as they can pay tax but can't vote towards the tax system. Plus you can get married but can't drink at your wedding which is a bit daft. I don't know if I'm against the vote idea or not but when I was 16 I was a daftie, as are all the 16 year olds I know now. It's all bollocks anyway as most of them wouldn't vote anyhow.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
. It's all bollocks anyway as most of them wouldn't vote anyhow.

But they would all engage in promiscous sex!!! Oh yeah.

You know what Im talking about.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
true, many wouldnt vote.
i heard a quote once about htis, made me smile, then laugh, then say HA you suck!

it read:

if voting really could change anything, it would be illegal, of course

the sad thing is...this couldbe true

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Economics.

Who is the lesser productive person in a society, but at the same time the most productive in war? The 18 year old.

Who is the greatest risk economically when under the influence of alcohol? The 18 year old.

It's called capitalism. Look at the bottom line and make the economically appropriate decision.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
They tried lowering the drinking age to 18. Drunk driving fatalities shot through the roof, so it was raised again.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Economics.

Who is the lesser productive person in a society, but at the same time the most productive in war? The 18 year old.

Who is the greatest risk economically when under the influence of alcohol? The 18 year old.

It's called capitalism. Look at the bottom line and make the economically appropriate decision.

in reference to capitalism.....heres a nice image i made (the text button wasnt working so i had to free hand the letters...)

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

in reference to capitalism.....heres a nice image i made (the text button wasnt working so i had to free hand the letters...)

Looks like you got a bad case of the shakes Scat, or you have metal hands.

Just picking on you buddy.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yurr capitalism is very annoying.

*second line to post to please the picky staff*

Happy?

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by EliteXizer]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

I see that and raise you-

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
UK age of consent is 16 for everybody so I repeat my question again to the Aussies, WTF?!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This is why it is crucial to have an older brother.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I refuse.

You've made a powerful enemy today!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well here in the land of Wisconsin, world famous for our cheese (curds, mmmm..), beer, sauerkraut, and toilet paper.

We have some nice laws for those who are young drinkers.

- Although it is illegal for someone under 21 to buy alcohol, it is only illegal for someone over 21 to supply alcohol to a minor (someone under 18). Nice loophole huh?

There was news story awhile back where they wanted to try someone for giving booze to some 19 year olds, and they couldn't.

- It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to go to the bar, with your parents and drink the night away. As long as your parents give you the booze, and "supervise you" it's A-ok! If at home or at a resturant/bar/wherever, no matter what the age. (Only legal in Wisconsin)

(However, the server can choose not to serve alcohol to your parents/ a.k.a. you. which never happens,
)

Some neat things that you can do here, and not anywhere else in USA.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I always thought a military id entitled you to buy alchohol, regardless of age??? If not, that's rather stupid...(I know I had a buddy who used it this way all the time, and he was only 18)...

He's mature enough to be entrusted with multi-million dollar equipment, and the trust of the US government, but not mature enough to handle a drink?

Please....

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I always thought a military id entitled you to buy alchohol, regardless of age??? If not, that's rather stupid...(I know I had a buddy who used it this way all the time, and he was only 18)...

I got a buddy in Georgia, who's in the Army, and he knows which bars, let military ID's in regardless. He said there's only a couple, but ya gotta watch out, cause the unspoke rule is, if you get busted, we didn't let you in.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join