It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Could Clone Your Perfect Partner - Would You?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If the technology existed to clone your perfect partner, their interests, their looks and you could hand pick every attribute of them and they will be guaranteed to have a 90% chance to feel the same way about you - would you?

The reason i ask is, I watched Total Recall with Ah-nould and and he creates the women he desires. Though this is no clone, the concept is similar. Though I doubt this is ever likely to ever occur, it is none the less an interesting question!

My Response?

No, A Clone has no soul and this defeats all the purpose of trying to meet some one and the fun and drama it brings!

Ps - please dont turn this into a religious and or ethical debate about clones!!

[edit on 12-6-2008 by q_ball]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
No, I wouldn't, not even if something happened to her. The variables, environmental inputs, other things we can't measure, make up the sum of what we are, IMO.

Of course, I got REAL lucky. After years of trial and error, I found the one for me. That was 20 years ago.

peace

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't either, because even if the body was artificially aged to adulthood, I would know that in a way it was still a child. Besides, I already have my perfect partner. Having 2 would just be greedy.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well..memories,experiences are what give us our personality or soul,whatever you like to call it.I dont know..i would rather a person go through life experiencing them,when in fact with memory technology etc All you are doing is uploading these memories that the person never had any physical or mental input into.And lets remember we humans can have a lifetime of experiences,memories etc But once in a while that means moot and a single thought can change your whole outlook on life and personality in a dramatic way...Anyway probably not...although it would be damn cool!
Holographic/Virtual reality technology,now i could have some fun with that!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I agree with majoirty so far, though this would be an actual human though would skip ageing process and memories would be artificial though i think in reality such a creation would not last their would be too much conflict in its mind (which is what humans have ) and a AI would not be able to handle that so would be most likely very stupid. therefore this would never be legal which is good, but the idea im sure is around.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by q_ball]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I really don't believe in the perfect partner. Without conflict there is no growth.

We need people to argue with us, to tell us were wrong and why.

They are the sounding boards of our existence.

The people we fight are the greatest teachers we have. They educate us as to flaws of our reasoning. They force us to think. They make us better than we were before we met them.

Spouses are good at this. Mother-in-laws have mastered it.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't know why, but i just thought of possessive gay guys getting upset about their crush not being gay and stealing a DNA sample to create a gay version of their crush.

Anyway, in response to the OP;

Most likely, No.

I do entertain my little naive belief that somewhere out there is someone perfectly balanced against my strengths and weaknesses, but that's just me being a dreamer.

I wouldn't want to pollute my gene-pool, essentially.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
In order not to shock anyone with that rather cutting and radical remark; i was making a point that i believe i would be polluting my gene-pool by creating my partner myself.

By no means am i attempting to preserve whatever so-called 'purity of blood-line' i'm certain quite a few of you can probably think of.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
One of my favorite movies was Bladerunner. The aspect of the woman he had met and her design, supposedly flawless and possibly ageless, was fascinating. To choose a partner from celebreties or models is even more so. I look forward to the catalog anyway.

I've known a few I had thought were when I was younger, but, it wasn't meant to be. One in particular was in penthouse at 18. She gave me a copy of the magazine about ten years ago but, I wouldn't take it because it was just a reminder. Now I feel I should have anyway. Back then she had so many guys throwing themselves at her and even went out drinking and partying with my supposed friends. That was the thing I couldn't deal with. She was way out of my league. I prefer to walk away from jealousy games.

Maybe you meant your favorite partner. I don't know what perfect is anymore. Do they come with emergency patches? I've seen those at the adult store.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It would all depend on various factors

Would the clone know that she is a clone, and would the original know about the clone?

Would I have sex with a clone? Yes, I'm a guy

Would it be my perfect partner? No, ofcourse it wouldnt be as you'd be constant ly comparing it to the original

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Lets just say for arguements sake, the clone is a clone. It cant think that deep if its a clone or not or its purpose, its convinced its here just for you. I can imagine people getting sick of their clones and just dumping them out in the trash lol one day it wont ask what race you are, it will be which company.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Have any of you read "The Hunted" by Alex Shearer? I recently read it and it scared me witless!! I would definitely not want a clone for a partner, even if they are "perfect", unless they do all the housework and cooking and then switch off so that no conversation is needed!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I'm just gonna answer this straight.
Yes, I would. As a last resort.... Or perhaps not as a last resort...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Putting aside the fact that they would not have personality and a soul and therefore wouldn't really be "human", I wouldn't do it. I think for most of us, debate, differing viewpoints and the occasional arguement are what makes our relationships as strong as they are.

As much as it sounds wonderful to have the "perfect" mate, I would think it would get boring if you always agreed, never had the opportunity to argue and keep an open mind. My husband and I are pretty much as close to opposites as they come...and I honestly wouldn't say in hindsight that we're "perfect" for each other. But over the years, we've come to appreciate each others differences. We've argued, debated, and even had some all out yelling matches over the years....and, most of the time we've left compromising and/or agreeing to disagree. It makes for great conversation and a stronger relationship I feel.

Our kids each have a little of both of us in them, making them also have different views and opinions than we ourselves have. It's what makes everyone's family so unique and different from everyone else.

On a side note...we have a family living close to us that everyone in the neighbourhood calls "the plastic people" LOL They NEVER fight, always agree, really are perfect for each other. It's very amusing to watch. "would you like steak for dinner tonight honey?" "why yes darling, I'd LOVE steak!" To me it's just a very boring existence if there's never debate and confrontation...hmmm maybe I need counselling LOL

Michelle

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Good point i agree, though what confuses me is maybe people just not be alone would? Imagine replacing a cat or dog with a cloned female or male as a partner? I think with clever marketing, this could definitely be a possibility and people would buy into it...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I know you didnt want this going into and just wanted the original question answering, but if, as some people believe the clones have no soul, what happens if you get your clone pregnant?
Would your kid be soul-less?

If you're looking for a disposable sex item, then a cyborg would be better than a clone. You could change the exterior for the latest celebrity cover, personality upload, cooking specialities, MP3 etc

Futurama - Fry gets a cyborg Lucy Liu
Episode "I Dated a Robot"

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Mark Roazhar]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
They may be a biological copy of my "Perfect Partner", but my perfect partner is more than just a pretty face and a nice body. As others have said, the clone would somehow need to also have my perfect partner's experiences, memory, emotions, sense of humor, etc -- things we don't get genetically.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Actually there's a cartoon based on this very idea 'Chobits'

Personally, yeah I would defiantly have such a partner.... But the question you've really got to think about is would you treat the clone as a human being or just an object – an item you purchased from a store? "Get me my beer slave girl”

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mark Roazhar
I know you didnt want this going into and just wanted the original question answering, but if, as some people believe the clones have no soul, what happens if you get your clone pregnant?
Would your kid be soul-less?

I can't guarantee you I have a soul.

Whether or not a clone has a soul is between them and God. Whatever they consider God to be.

Matters of the soul are best left between the created and the creator.

Just my thoughts.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by mrwupy]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I've seen people who were genetic twins essentially clones ,and still they lived different lives and made different mistakes. Although there were similarities in the people they married ,there were also enough differences in their beloveds to make me think love is dependent on chance. It would be extremely heartbreaking to recreate someone you loved only to be snubbed ,because by chance, they fell in love with someone else. Like telling the same joke twice or trying to recreate a perfect vacation, it would not work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join