It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scout Camp, 4 Dead, 48 Injured As Tornado Hits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

4 Dead, 48 Injured As Tornado Hits Boy Scout Camp

apnews.myway.com

Jun 12, 9:30 AM

BLENCOE, Iowa (AP) - Frightened Boy Scouts huddled in a shelter as a tornado tore through their western Iowa campground, killing four people and injuring 48 others who had little warning of the approaching twister.

Tornadoes also raked Kansas on Wednesday, killing at least two people, destroying much of the small town of Chapman and causing extensive damage on the Kansas State University campus.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
As I was looking through my e-mail I came across this story and I found this devastating story of Mid-America Boy Scout Council's Goldenrod District in Iowa when a tornado hit them while at camp. Please take some time today to say a prayer for these Boy Scouts and their families as well as the people in the surrounding areas that were affected by this natural disaster. I'm going to be praying all day for them myself.

I am a Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader and I do not care about anything else right now as I know how devastated I would be if this was connected to someone I know.

Please, just for one minute today, set aside all thing conspiracy theory related, and say a small prayer for these people that everyone shows them the love and caring and assists them in any way possible. I sent an e-mail through all of the Boy Scout leaders I could when I saw it and then I came here to ATS next.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
As a mom and a former girl scout who loved camp, this story breaks my heart. A place that is supposed to be so fun and educational turned into a nightmare. You drop your kid off for some summer fun and then you never see him again. There aren't words enough to describe how bad that must be.

Hats off to the brave Scouts that helped each other after the storm. That's what it's all about.

[edit on 12/6/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
That is so incredibly sad

Those poor kids and guides...

After I hit enter on this post, I'll take a minute to reflect on this...and like you said Spartan, it would be good if anyone who read this post did the same today...

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
That is sad news, they must have been terrified

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thank you everyone so far for your kind support. I also dropped into ATS chat to ask people for their support for this crisis after a natural disaster. Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yes, thoughts and prayers to the Scouts and their families. It is a stunning event. I can only echo kosmicjack's sentiments.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I would give ya my 2 cents worth but its too early to bring up esoterics, fraternal orders, and technology just yet. But the thought of it ticks me off a little too much to collect my thoughts on my 2 cents worth

The loss of a child is probably one of the most gut wrenching forms of agony a human parent can experience.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by prometheus1111]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I prayed last night when I heard about this. I pray that those children are with their god, in their heaven and that the families may be comforted in this horrible time.

On a side, I heard about the tornado in Kansas last night as well. I have friends in that area, I slept with the windows open last night as those same stoms were heading my way and I wanted to make sure I would be able to hear a tornado siren in the middle of the night.

It's been really bad here in the midwest, I know my town alone is over on it's average rainfall by a long shot. Flooding is so bad.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I live in this area and we had something around 48 reports of tornadoes last night. It has been a rough 2 weeks as far as bad weather. My son and I we watching one the country a week and a half ago, and the storm turned at us all of the sudden. We got nailed, not directly but about as close as one would want to be. We made it through uninjured, it was the scariest moment of my life.

I almost went out last night to view these storms but stayed at home, it was really bad in my hometown, I heard about this camp on the news and couldnt imagine the pain those families must be going through right now.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's sad when you read about any young person losing their life in a tragedy like this. My prayers go out to them and their families.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Eagle scout mysefl here. Reports are comming in about the extraordianry performance the surviving scouts after the disaster

Many of the Boy Scouts, who had emergency training only a day before, quickly began helping one another.

"There were some real heroes," Iowa Gov. Chet Culver said.
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AnOn4gXx2hsY35oV._X5ZPKs0NUE

Our thoughts are to those families that lost a child, and our respect and admiration to those who perhaps prevented more deaths.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
After having e-mailed everyone in the Scouting District I am in, one of the top level executives sent this back. I withheld both of our names, as there are people here on ATS who do not believe in the Boy Scouts of America, and while I can respect that, I do not want issues to arise due to their beliefs.

Thank you for the update *****.

I found the district executive for the camp grounds and have sent out a letter offering our help and assistance. You should get a copy soon.

After I hear back from him, I’ll bring you up to date and will
for a plan to raise some money and what ever else we might do.

Again, Thanks for the sharp eye.

Sincerely, ******* *******

Thank you everyone on ATS for your support in this time of need for these people after this natural disaster. I greatly appreciate it as well as those families affected.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I would like to say a special thank you to NGC2736, for this contribution and well meant message here in regards to the Boy Scout families. I wish I had seen it before I posted in the BAN Forum as I would have just posted there. This kind of news does need as much information out there as possible. Please stop by that thread and flag and star it as well as this one. I got this from his thread here :

4 Boy Scouts Dead In Iowa Tornado

Originally posted by NGC2736
There has been another deadly tornado, this time in Iowa, where four Boy Scouts wer killed Wednesday. The camp, Little Sioux Ranch in western Iowa, had about 125 campers, including staff, present when the twister struck. The young men ranged in age from 13 to 18, and were there for leadership training.

www.necn.com...

Tornados are occurring in a wide range of locations, though in Iowa they are hardly unexpected. but I cannot stress too much that no matter where you live, prepare yourself ahead of time for these killers.

I personally live in Tornado Alley, so being prepared is second nature. But if you've never faced one of these events, it can be shocking in it's speed and sheer violence. There is no comparison to other natural events. It's more like a sudden mortar attack.

I urge everyone to read up on tornado safety, and then make the preparations you need to. Talk to your children about what to do. Make all the decisions that you can head of time, as on the spot decisions are often too little,too late.

There ar a lot of resources out there to google. And the Red Cross as well as the National Weather Service all have good publications. Please, take just a few minutes to wrap your head around this. If this was a serial killer, stalking our nation, everyone would prepare. Well, tornados are serial killers, year in and year out.

Edit to add: Flag this and put it up where everyone can see it. This is something that just thinking about now could literally mean life or death.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My District leader sent this in e-mail to the District that was affected by the tornado. Thought I would share it with you. Again, due to some people on ATS's beliefs in Scouting, I'm withholding all names concerned.

Dear ****,

I just read the report of the disaster at the ***** ****** ***** in the remote Loess Hills.

As a brother in Scouting I have asked my District to start a fund to help with the cost and grief.

Please let me know how we might help.

Prayer and shared grief, we stand with you!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Stupid hicks finnally got it, long time coming.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
My families thoughts and prayers are with the families of these Scouts for sure...

It's sad that the best seem to always be the ones to suffer...

Semper

[edit on 6/13/2008 by semperfortis]

new topics

top topics

join