It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shadow home secretary David Davis resigns as MP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Shadow home secretary David Davis resigns as MP

news.bbc.co.uk

Shadow home secretary David Davis has resigned as an MP.

He is to force a by-election in his Haltemprice and Howden constituency which he will fight on the issue of the new 42-day terror detention limit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Good for him, this is exactly what is needed - we need someone in power who gives a damn about our liberties. Our freedoms are being literally stripped away everyday under the guise of terrorism.

Next on the list is DNA databases unless something massive is done to stop our governemnt.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
A man who knows just how many laws there are all ready to use against 'terrorists' if there ever are any.

All conspiracy theories aside I really admire this mans guts to take a stand against this most draconian law.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
To risk your career in order to defend the values of this nation is a move that should be welcomed and admired by this country. Even though the BBC are trying to say it is something else

Tom Watson, Cabinet Minister, gave a spineless performance on Skynews and accused David Davis of being "emotional" and said it was weak to make democracy a single issue campaign

Going to be difficult for the government because they have to try and not present themselves as "pro-authortarian"

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I'll add some quotes he made to this - I think what he says will strike a note with a lot of us on here

He told reporters outside the Commons: "I will argue in this by-election against the slow strangulation of fundamental British freedoms by this government."

In his resignation statement, Mr Davis attacked the growth of the "database state" and government "snooping".

"This cannot go on. It must be stopped and for that reason today I feel it is incumbent on me to make a stand," he told reporters

"At least my electorate and the nation as a whole will have had the opportunity to debate and consider one of the most fundamental issues of our day - the ever intrusive power of the state into our lives, the loss of privacy, the loss of freedom and the steady attrition undermining the rule of law," he said.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
if memory serves me correctly this guy is ex-SAS (check his busted nose) so will be able to stand the fight and speak with some clarity on the mil / sec issues and not be painted as a wooly liberal conservative if there is such a thing.

The liberal democrats have announced they will not oppose him in the by-election - providing some cross party support.

interesting - opens up a new front and seems courageous.

Maybe 10 or 20 more MPs from all parties would like to come forward and do the same!

[edit on 12-6-2008 by kickoutthejams]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I agree.
I do like that this man is takeing a stand against the powers that be for taking away civil liberties.
I also can't help but wonder what the law enforcement community will think of it.

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
if memory serves me correctly this guy is ex-SAS

TA SAS i believe, not 22.

CX.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
ahh is that so? still pretty hardcore though. What with only the 2 battalions they get more work than the usual TA units, heck they are on permanent rotation since 2001 aren't they?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
The liberal democrats have announced they will not oppose him in the by-election - providing some cross party support.

I admire him for doing it, but now that the Lib Dems have pulled out he's almost certain to win back his seat with a bigger majority. At the 2005 election, Davis polled 22,792 votes. His nearest rival was a Lib Dem who polled 17,676 votes. Labour came a very distant third with just 6,104 votes.

With the government's unpopularity at the moment, I'd say Davis has just significantly increased his majority. A shrewd political move as well as a way of highlighting the 42 days issue.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Yah just watched BBC news 24..big story,i really dont watch the bias lying news anymore,but maybe this will make people really think more about this.They keep bringin up polls about how most BRits agree with the 42days?!? I doubt that...and if they do...well what a waste of blood,sweat and tears for us to get those freedoms.Hopefully they bring it up on Question time tonight.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The media is guilty and complicit to treason against the people....but I guess thats what you get when oaths of allegiance are sworn to the Queen / establishment.

I think this is about the airtime he will get.
The media has not allowed the facts to be heard regarding the establishments agenda.......and he wants to warn the public as best he can...IMO.

There seems to be divisions forming across the political spectrum, maybe this is the start of something....I hope its not more smoke and mirrors.

I really hope we don`t see a terrorist attack wile this play`s out,......this would destroy the message.

Terrorism is not about the Muslims....Its about the preservation of the elites because they are terrified of there own people.

Mr Davis must careful IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Great quote, and good luck to the guy. It does take guts to go against the powers that be, no matter how unpopular they are!

(Gerrout, Brown!)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It’s ok saying people want 42 days, but go and ask them if they want it in a larger package that Stalin himself would approve of. Point out what that life would be like and do they want it for their kids. I bet there’s not that many that would.

So I say good on DD, the days of creeping laws out every few years, laws that in their pure Labour undiluted form that where obscene by the way, may now come to an end. He can now spend all his time making the public aware and then stand as a Tory again in two years time(if they’ll have him) and fight from the inside of government.

Plus I don’t think he will give a monkey’s if anybody stands against him, I think his aim is to get back into the house were he can do most harm and gain most publicity.

He’s the only pig in a very big trough that has done something spectacular to at least try to stop the rot, so good on him. I look forward to a maverick in the house giving Labour both barrels with nothing to distract him.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
My only problem with this is that it MAY be one of the shrewdest ever political moves if he has ambitions to run as leader at some point in the future.

Having said that, I'd rather someone who pretended to have principles and stuck to them, than someone who spinelessly caved in to government demands and media pressure over the absurd 42 day ruling.

Here's hoping it doesn't get past the lords.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This could bring Gordon down.

If Labour do not contest then the media is going to ask questions why the government will not defend 42 days in public. David Davis will drag Labours poor civil rights record through the streets, creating a potential backlash against the government.

Many labour grass roots sites are against 42 days detention, nobody in the party wants to talk about civil liberties i.e why Labour are accusing David Davis of wasting the public's time.

Refusing to contest and the way Gordon bribed MP's for votes will come back to haunt Labour

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Most are saying it won’t get past the Lords and Davis said on the Politics Show last Sunday morning that if the law had been proven to be ineffective that it would be repealed. To me that sounded like the party line and not his own at the time, but he was full of conviction and I assume he would have been all over any case that used this extra time before the next election.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I disagree Infinite, the media is portraying this as a defeat for the Tories so ZanuNL will hold their powder until the dust settles at least somewhat. Davis has gone ballistic and predictably the BBC and the left are using this as ammunition. But his game is at least a two year plan.

They (ZanuNL) would be foolish to put up a candidate because the battleground would like Labour heads on pikes anyway. They’ll play this as an aberration of the democratic process and belittle him.

Unfortunately for them he is the first who can now connect the dots in Labour fascist policy and he’s got two years to do it. He will make sure the public know what is coming if they vote Labour.

It’s a ballsy move fraught with danger, but a maverick Conservative with such a big, but single agenda must be truly frightening to ZanuNL.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
This could bring Gordon down.

If Labour do not contest then the media is going to ask questions why the government will not defend 42 days in public. David Davis will drag Labours poor civil rights record through the streets, creating a potential backlash against the government.

Many labour grass roots sites are against 42 days detention, nobody in the party wants to talk about civil liberties i.e why Labour are accusing David Davis of wasting the public's time.

Refusing to contest and the way Gordon bribed MP's for votes will come back to haunt Labour

David Davis is both brave and brilliant. Gordon Brown's Labour are going to discover that they are dead if they continue on course converting the UK into a police state.

So much for 'New Labour'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join