It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Boy Scouts Dead In Iowa Tornado

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
There has been another deadly tornado, this time in Iowa, where four Boy Scouts wer killed Wednesday. The camp, Little Sioux Ranch in western Iowa, had about 125 campers, including staff, present when the twister struck. The young men ranged in age from 13 to 18, and were there for leadership training.

www.necn.com...

Tornados are occurring in a wide range of locations, though in Iowa they are hardly unexpected. but I cannot stress too much that no matter where you live, prepare yourself ahead of time for these killers.

I personally live in Tornado Alley, so being prepared is second nature. But if you've never faced one of these events, it can be shocking in it's speed and sheer violence. There is no comparison to other natural events. It's more like a sudden mortar attack.

I urge everyone to read up on tornado safety, and then make the preparations you need to. Talk to your children about what to do. Make all the decisions that you can head of time, as on the spot decisions are often too little,too late.

There ar a lot of resources out there to google. And the Red Cross as well as the National Weather Service all have good publications. Please, take just a few minutes to wrap your head around this. If this was a serial killer, stalking our nation, everyone would prepare. Well, tornados are serial killers, year in and year out.

Edit to add: Flag this and put it up where everyone can see it. This is something that just thinking about now could literally mean life or death.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I posted on this in the Breaking Alternative News Forum this morning when I saw it. Not sure if that was the right forum or not, but since I'm a Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader I wanted to take a moment to make people aware of it.

Boy Scout Camp, 4 Dead, 48 Injured When Tornado Hits

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

4 Dead, 48 Injured As Tornado Hits Boy Scout Camp

apnews.myway.com

Jun 12, 9:30 AM

BLENCOE, Iowa (AP) - Frightened Boy Scouts huddled in a shelter as a tornado tore through their western Iowa campground, killing four people and injuring 48 others who had little warning of the approaching twister.

Tornadoes also raked Kansas on Wednesday, killing at least two people, destroying much of the small town of Chapman and causing extensive damage on the Kansas State University campus.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Thanks very much, NGC2736, for your heartfelt post. I'm going to quote it over on the one I started, just as a special thank you for you effort.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I live just outside of Des Moines, Iowa and heard about this last night. One of the boys was from Central Iowa. I'm sorry for them and their families.

We had another tornado hit Parkersburg, IA earlier this month that killed 7 people. It was an EF-5 and devastated more than half the town. While tornadoes have been more destructive this year, that isn't the main story from Iowa these days.

Most of Iowa this year is dealing with floods. So far as yet, I've only heard of 2 fatalities due to the flood and of course, this is FAR more widespread than tornadoes have been. We've already SURPASSED the Floods of '93 with volume. There is a big difference though here in Des Moines. The damage has been far less extensive thanks to lessons learned from 1993. After those floods, a new series of levees were built and existing levees were reinforced. There are even some closeable flood gates on some streets around town installed. Des Moines still has potable water (thanks to the new levees around the water-works) and downtown, despite "flash flooding" from sewer backups and rainstorms, has not flooded due to river water. Other locations in Iowa such as Mason City, Iowa City, Waterloo, haven't been as lucky.

As for Des Moines; Des Moines is doing it right. Its a miracle that more people haven't been killed by flooding THROUGHOUT the state of Iowa.

Back on post, my heart goes out for anyone with losses due to these recent storms.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Thanks so much for the posts guys. We here spend a lot of time discussing terrible events that might come to pass, but there are everyday tragidies too. And for the people involved, the world ended.

I knoow as a scout leader Sparten, you feel this loss, as much as anyone outside of their families possibly can.

CreeWolf, flooding is also a problem here in the rural areas of Ark/Okl. Mostly it's because there are so many low water fords out on country roads. People too often misjudge how easy it is for moving water to sweep a vehicle away.

Thank you all for the flags and stars, and keeping this up on the boards while I had to be away. It touched me this morning, and if only one person saw this thread, and made a preparation that saved a single life, then each of us have in a small way made the world a better place.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I want to know who the genius was that had a cub scout camp during all these tornados and flooding and lightning storms were everywhere in the area i think that person should be tried for manslaghter!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bugs_n_recovery

These were Boy Scouts, not Cub Scouts as an FYI. We as Leaders of Scouts take safety very seriously, I assure you.

By their very nature, many Scout camps are far from the beaten path in rural areas. We camp in almost any weather, but pay attention to the risks involved and act with caution involving our charges, the Scouts, in almost every activity you can think of. It would have been more risky to "bug" out of the Camp in cars than stay put.

Each camp has their own access to radar here in Michigan so we see when strong "boomers" are heading directly for us and we take appropriate precautions. Part of the joy of being out in your natural surroundings is that you are at the whim of nature. The Scout's were prepared as much as you can be for a twister popping down right on top of you.

I feel for all the families involved.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by pavil]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

To some extent, you're correct. But, here in America's heartland, these storms develope quickly, and short of never doing anything without being close to a storm shelter, you just have to be ready. And sometimes even being ready isn't enough.

In my area we have some of the best overlapping doppler radar money can buy. Even so, a plain old thunderstorm can develope rotation and spawn a tornado within minutes. I have seen it go from a 95 degree sunny day at 3:00 PM to a cool 65 degree cloudy one by 4:30PM, and a tornado spin up from a thunderstorm by 5:00PM.

I have been looking at the radar sweeps and seen nothing "scary' in the data gleened from a regular thunderstorm on a pass, only to see a "hook pattern" (indicative of rotation) on the very next pass, with storm spotters reporting a sighted funnel cloud within two or three more minutes. To those that have never experienced this kind of weather, it seems fantastic, but it happens.

This is the reason I always urge people to acquaint themselves with ways to deal with these things. Without getting into the whole "Weather has gone crazy" idea, people are noticing these kinds of storms in places that are not known for them. Those who live in areas where tornados are unusual seldom have any idea what could happen almost in the time it takes to run to the local Dairy Queen for a double cherry cone for the kids.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Such a terrible event my heart and thoughts are with all affected,

Thank you for posting this, and though i live in the UK its still worth knowing, We have the potential to have larger ones as our climate changes,

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What the heck has been going on in Iowa?Its like this hot spot for tornado's this year.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Here's an interesting page with a graph:

www.cdli.ca...

It seems that the number of deaths from twisters is down, due to better technology and communications, the number of them per year has steadily been increasing. I expect a certain portion of this is due to better reporting proceedures. Still, the rise within the last decade or two indicates that activity is increasing.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

But you have hit the nail on the head, with better detection and a more spread out population you are going to get more reports.

I would like to see a detailed analysis of a certain area historically to say they have increased. You would have to take a certain area that has been heavily populated for at at least 50 years to do an accurate comparison.

But lets not turn this thread into that debate.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Agreed, this isn't the thread for that.

I simply posted to show that whatever the reason for the statistics, there is a viable threat to people without proper preparation, and a little good luck.

And not getting caught with your pants down is the best way to avoid becoming one of these statistics.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I grew up in Iowa, and I was a boyscout threwout my time in Iowa.
I have camped at Little Sioux Ranch many times before!!
Its sad to hear that this happened! I mean even back when I was a kid, the pack leaders always watched the news reports for any bad weather.
Living in Iowa, we know all to well the dangers of tornados!
Ive been threw 3 of them in my life. And its very scary! Honestly Id rather be in a hurricane than a tornado. Its like 5 moving trains going over your house... Very scary indeed.
Im guessing this was one of those twisters that came without much warning. It does happen time to time, when these twisters just come out of no where, and tear stuff out of the ground!
Back on the farm, we had birds that where sticking out of fence poles.
I mean they where litterally thrown at such a high speed that the birds themselfs went threw 1 foot of wood! A single sliver of wood or bark would go threw a grown man!
Danger goes hand and hand with twisters. And those of you who live up north should know, its always wise to watch the sky.
If you see dark clouds moving in two directions.. Best you get underground as fast as you can!
Its no game when it comes to camping outside. Its life or death out there. and those pack leaders should have been a bit more on the ball..
Its very sad, but the same time Im a little confused how they would let a twister get them like that.. Theres always about 10-30 mins warning signs.
Even in the twisters that drop out of no where.. Theres always tale signs.
Animals, the clouds. and barameters..
Barometers are always a wise tool to take camping with you!
Always be prepared.. Isnt that our motto???

Thats why Im a bit shocked to know boyscouts got bested by mother nature.. It shouldnt have happened...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Looking at the radar shot thgis morning, it seems the general area of the Great Lakes is the target for severe weather today.

Lucky us...

Having seen my share of violent weather over the years, the required reactions of my family has been deeply ingrained by my eternal pestering on safety.

Here's my rules...

1- Love the low spots.

If you are walking outside when the big black funnel cloud comes roaring up, immediately look for the deepest low spot you can find on the ground and wiggle yourself deeper if possible.
If you are driving, steer the car as carefully as you can into the ditch on the opposite side of where the funnel cloud is. Staying in the car is not recommended if you can find better protection. If you DO need to stay in the car, then be sure to keep your seatbelts on because your Buick Roadmaster can suddenly become a 4-wheeled Mixmaster.

2- Love the bathtub.

If you are in your home, the best place in the world is a basement. Get the family tucked into the corner closest to the direction the storm is coming from. That way, you can watch your house blow away from you and you will still be protected.

If you have no basement, seek out the center of your home and pack yourselves into doorframes. Another prime spot is the bathtub. You, your kids, Auntie M and Toto can all try to squeeze into the tub.

Things NOT to do;

- Don't go outside.
- Stay away from windows. The pic you want to take may show the flying jagged tree branch about to kill you.
- Don't go 'for a walk' after the storm passes to assess the damage. Stay put until the rescue teams come around. No sense surviving a twister only to to see mom or the kids get electricuted by stepping on a live wire.

Common sense stuff, really.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
My heart is with the families of those who died! I could not imagine what it would be like to lose a child!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I think this is a really sad story. I feel sorry for the family's. But I dont think that byou should blame the scout leaders as I would of thought they would of tried everything to keep the scouts safe. And I would of thought that they must also feel sad because of the loss of the scouts.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
On the subject of what not to do, don't stay in a mobile home is a big one. Those damn things come apart like a cheap suit from Wal-Mart. They are seldom tied down well enough, and structurally, they suck. The reason they're cheap is because so little time goes into these mass produced death traps.

And don't count on never having tornados in your area. They have been known to occur in all fifty states, in every month of the year. Certain areas have a lower incident, but it only takes one to kill you.

Also, usually these type storms, at least here in tornado alley, have a load of lightning and hail. Lightning is another aspect of these violent T-storms that can injure you or kill you on the spot. Many homes are burnt to the ground here every year by lightning strikes.

The bad thing about a direct hit with lightning is the extreme heat generated. It's worse than dousing a house with gasoline and striking a match. Lightning generates up to 50,000 degrees (F) hotter than the surface of the sun.

hypertextbook.com...

If it hits the roof and goes down the wiring to the floor and then to the ground, it can litterally explode the surfaces it touches. Certain materials can instantly flame up and then engulf a house in minutes, because the fire "starts" along the entire path of the bolt, from point of entry to point of exit.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

There was warning and central region had issued a moderate risk for tornadoes for that day in that area. I agree the heads up wasn't a ton, but there was warning. 4 boys lost their lives dozen others hurt. Why were some even out hiking during the severe thunderstorm warning!?? It makes me mad they blame the weather people and they were the ones that didn't hunker down somewhere safer. Bless those children, the ones who lived and the ones who passed on. Shame on those who blame others when the blame falls no where but on them selves.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Speaking as a Cub Scout Leader we do take safety very seriously. I don't know the specifics of that day, but depending on the weather reports, the Scoutmaster would make a judgement as to whether the hike would be safe. Watches and Warnings weather-wise, are two entirely different situations. Our guidelines for this is the Guide to safe Scouting: here is an excerpt:

The leaders are responsible for making good decisions during the trek, conservatively estimating the capabilities and stamina of the group. If adverse conditions develop, the group is prepared to stop or turn back. The unit is responsible for monitoring weather conditions and forecasts before and during the trek—a small National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) radio is helpful for learning current weather forecasts. Leaders continually assess conditions, including weather, terrain, group morale, food and water supplies, group physical condition, and other factors to determine the difference between what is difficult and what is dangerous. Dangerous conditions are avoided.

www.scouting.org...

If you look at the whole page, you can see we look at numerous conditions and appropriate steps to take.

We prepare Scouts for emergencies and unexpected conditions, we avoid obvious dangerous conditions, but not difficult ones. We try to push the Scouts beyond their comfort zone but not into the danger zone. At our Camps here in S.E. Michigan we have Radar and warning sirens, but we would still be in trouble if a twister came barreling down on our camps. It was more of a being in the wrong place at the wrong time rather then poor judgement IMO. They could have been in their houses and if a tornado came down on them, they would still be in a very life threatening situation.

The Scouts reacted with all the emergency preparedness that they had learned. The Scouts had just gone through a mock emergency drill the day before. They immediately went into search and rescue mode, applied first aid where necessary and cleared roads of fallen trees to get emergency vechiles in. I dare say, hardly any other 13 to 18 year olds would have responded in the manner these Boy Scouts did, given the situation they were in.

Tornadoes are one of the most powerful natural forces you can run into.

Boy Scout officials said the campers had heard the severe weather alerts but decided not to leave because a storm was on the way.

They were watching the weather and monitoring with a weather radio, listening for updates," said Deron Smith, a national spokesman for the organization. "The spot they were at was the lowest spot of camp. It was deemed to be the safest place."

A group of Scouts who had set out on a hike had returned to the camp before the storm hit, Smith said.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 17-6-2008 by pavil]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Sadly, these killers will go on taking a toll. These scouts were probably as prepared as anyone could be under the circumstances; yet four of their number perished.

But imagine what it could have been like for some simular group that had not taken as much precautions nor had the training these boys had? It is for this reason that more people need to become aware of the danger and learn to take what measures they can.

Blizzards, tropical storms, heat waves; all of these are much slower and have more reaction time than tornados, more time for calculated decisions. With a tornado, life and death decisions have to be prepared for ahead of time.

It is the responsibility of each of us to do the prep work for ourselves and our loved ones and neighbors, because if one of these killers comes to a place near you, reaction time will be critical.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join