It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real Unicorn found!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Here's some of the article:

ROME - A deer with a single horn in the center of its head — much like the fabled, mythical unicorn — has been spotted in a nature preserve in Italy, park officials said Wednesday.

This is fantasy becoming reality," Gilberto Tozzi, director of the Center of Natural Sciences in Prato, told The Associated Press. "The unicorn has always been a mythological animal."

The 1-year-old Roe Deer — nicknamed "Unicorn" — was born in captivity in the research center's park in the Tuscan town of Prato, near Florence, Tozzi said.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by polomontana

Slight problem - a unicorn is supposed to be like a horse. Perhaps this is a unideer!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
And the single horn mutation is not unique. I've seen several pictures of goats having only a single horn, in the middle of the head.

And as the parent poster says - Not a horse, not a unicorn.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I believe the point here is that anomalies such as this may have been what inspired the unicorn myth. I don't think they are saying that this is an actual unicorn. At least that's what I gathered from reading the article.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Its a decent point, but with one flaw: goats, deer etc are supposed to have horns. A horse does not have horns. So even an "anomaly" would not have produced a unicorn.

Personally I believe its all down to people travelling to Africa and coming back with amazing tales of "horses" with horns on the head (ie rhinos), then clever seamen taking the tooth of the narval and presenting it as this horn, producing the modern fabrication of a horse with a slender narval tooth on its head.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this story.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The narval thing is most likely I think.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
They were just tossing up the idea and discussing that if a deer, goat, or other animals with horn mutations exist(which is actually pretty common), then its not to far fetch that people used to see horses with horns, which gave off the mystical idea in the past.

Horns are pretty near to uncommon, but still common. Though a mutation mostly, there really isn't anything mythical about it. They were just talking about how they should finally believe that "unicorns" did exist, but not in the Fountain of Youth type of way.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by merka

rabbits dont have horns and yet jackalopes exist. theres something called the shope papillomavirus that causes horn like bones to sprout from the rabbits head. if its possible for rabbits then why not for horses?

blog.lorla.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
All Hale the mythical UNI-DEER!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It seems some people forget unicorns ARE NOT HORSES. THEY HAVE NO HORN. Unicorns can be bred. Search Oberon Zell-Ravenheart and his unicorn Lancelot, who traveled with a circus. Due to a minor surgical alteration on the head, you can create a single horn on head, which is how they were made.

His unicorn Lancelot. This is an old photo, he is still alive.

And sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but it really bugged me.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Just like poor bunnies
heres a link to the cause however, which may have a similar effect in horses if they have a variation

Bunnys with horns!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Never mind the unicorns, holy cats, jackalopes are sort of real, thanks to a virus?
. ATS never ceases to come up with things that amaze me. Like the whole story on the origin of edible bananas that was posted on Fragile Earth. I do now expect real unicorns and real chupacabras to turn up here any day now.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

As I JUST posted, Unicorns are real. As for chupracabra, Im not sure of any undeniable proof, unless someone here knows of any?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

That "unicorn" looked like a one horned goat, and besides I'm not counting surgical alterations. Yes, the word unicorn literally means one-horned, and the name alone does not specifically reference an equine. However, the kind of unicorn I'm waiting on is the stereotype of a one horned horse, naturally occurring, not manufactured. Lol, I'm not holding my breath on such a discovery. I've yet to see proof of the chupacabras, too. It doesn't help that the term has come to mean anything resembling a coyote hybrid with severe mange instead of the original more manlike form.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

It is a one horned goat. Unicorns were never meant to be equine. If you do not count surgical alterations, which is how they are made, the only way I could see gettign one would be a normal mutation or defect.

top topics

join