It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Company Spared Government, Not Consumers, From Costly Fees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Cell Phone Company Spared Government, Not Consumers, From Costly Fees

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — A leading cellular phone company declined to charge the government the same expensive fees it charges consumers for canceling their contracts early, acknowledging that "the government will never, never accept such penalty amounts," according to internal corporate e-mails obtained by The Associated Press.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Wow this is just exasperating, I hope this lawsuits and investigation move foward and is not only election year pandering. I have always been amazed at the amount of fees that this big companies make THEIR customer pay.

This is the most impressive part in the article

A spokesman for Sprint-Nextel, John Taylor, said the company determined it could not assess the termination fees in its federal contract because it would have been against the law. Taylor said the company is upfront with its customers about the fee and offers a variety of pricing plans.

I can not understand this statement clearly but is one of the two, they telecomm are charging us illegal fees or the goverment has laws in place to protect them from this type of charges but are unwilling to pass laws to protect the consumer. Either way is just outrageous.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Well now, if the gov't were required to pay those late fees, just whose pocket do you think they would come out of?

You would end up paying for it, that's who.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I get your point, but the issue here is consumer protection.

How is it that the government can get protection from these ridiculous fees, but the regular folk doesn't?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

It's not only the gov't that gets price breaks. It's the size of the consumer. Many major corp's get different deals that you or I, because of the huge volume and the marketing value they provide.

So do famous individuals. Do you think Tiger Woods pays for those Buicks he drives?

[edit on 12-6-2008 by jsobecky]

new topics

join