It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would an antimatter apple fall up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Would an antimatter apple fall up?

space.newscientist.co m

Now several groups want to measure exactly how the Earth will pull on antimatter. The tests would create a horizontal beam of the stuff and measure how much gravity deflects it.

The complicated ballistic test may show no difference between the way matter and antimatter fall. But some experimentalists are holding out hope that they may see something completely unexpected, which could point the way to new gravity-like forces, or perhaps even antigravity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

"If antimatter fell down faster, it would mean the discovery of at least one new force, probably two. If it fell up, it would mean our understanding of general relativity is incorrect," says Thomas Phillips, a physicist at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, US.

I found this article very intriguing and wanted to share it with every one who is interested in physics.

Some reason this sounds similar to something that one of our members BoulderMD was talking about in his thread. As far as changing the way we view energy and matter.

Definately worth a read and I would like to hear what theories everyone else has on what will happen.

-Kdial1

space.newscientist.co m
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I don t think it will "fall" up simply because GR has proven correct by obervable phenomenon. I think the whole graviton thing is just bull crap. If gravity is nothing but the curvature of spacetime, then no matter what you toss "up", it will come "down".

edit: Good find though, an interesting article on some wild, out-there ideas. Experimental results are not expected soon. So MD should look elsewhere.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by 2believeor0]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It's an interesting experiment because the flow of energy can be set up extremely high as a control. You could then fluctuate the energy output, as well as keep the energy out put at a lower level in order to have something solid to compare with the control.

It's also interesting from what I've seen, how all these mysterious phenomenon like ghosts and the paranormal must have a root cause but how such energy sources are simply mystifying. At sites with paranormal activity, for instance, you may have no reading on an EMF gauge but activity going crazy. Sometimes you get temperature fluctuations and EMF fluctuations, but there is still some unknown force there responsible for that activity which we simply don't know how to quantify or qualify.

We have all these insane types of phenomenon related to the paranormal which are simply inexplicable. Things like batteries quickly draining by themselves in active paranormal sites (happens alot), the ability of paranormal intelligence to actually move physical objects while not being physical themselves, as well as being able to visible as a semi-solid, semi-human form yet move and act almost as a liquid. None of these phenomenon are explainable with what we currently scientifically think we know and understand.

I'm confident that eventually we will discover such unknown forces which will explain paranormal phenomenon, but as yet we have just scratched the surface. Finding evidence of ANY unknown force is a step in the right direction because we then have something we can work with scientifically as a platform for moving forward. The paranormal in general is, largely, just now coming out of the "dark ages".

This is one example of an apparition moving like a liquid..

This is one has some great examples of physical manipulation.

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Should be awesome.

I was under the impression antimatter was ridiculously hard, if not impossible to create however?

Is the LHC involved or what? Also, how do they allow it to fall but still prevent contact with 'normal' matter?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for posting, because it's great news. I do wonder if it counts as alternative though. New Scientist is a great magazine but it's fairly mainstream science.

[edit on 12/6/08 by Duality]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
They use a penning trap I assume anti-matter decays fairly quickly in our matter world.

Right now fermilab is doing most of the work on anti-matter, CERN will have a huge impact in the upcoming years on anti-matter research.

-Kdial1

[edit on 12-6-2008 by kdial1]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This is like testing wether the Earth really is at the center of the universe. We are fairly sure we know the answer but we can't say for certain until we try. Anti-Matter should fall down and not up since it's mass is positive and not negative. Current work in Metamaterials has suggested that creating materials with a negative mass may be possible so we may have to wait for an engineered material in order to prove that the negative mass can actually exist. It would make sense for it to exist since our universe is in constant expanding and accelerating, something has to be driving it and thinking of dark matter and dark energy as if they had negative values just makes sense. I could be way off the mark but it sounds nice.

I think the whole graviton thing is just bull crap.

It may be crap but it still doesn't explain how a mass warps spacetime. Finding an object that falls up would give us a lot of insight into how gravity actually works, which is still rather mysterious to us right now. We have the laws but the mechanics are still rather opaque.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

OMG TOM! The light is going off, it MUST only mean that there is a ghost in here!

Wow, what leaping bounds of logic and science to be taken from a simple electromagnetical reading!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sardion2000

Space time isn't "warped". Space and time are just the changing of energy through the forces that they exert on theirself.

Time is no more than the Earth revolving around the sun because of the sun's magnetic fields and electromagnetical output. (light is electromangetic!)

Time in essence is just movemement. Just because something moves faster or slower doesn't mean "time" is going by and faster or slower.

Just because on another planet my body's pace of chemical reactions will change and I may die faster or live longer because of it, doesn't change the passage of universal time, only the way that my body experiences it through accelerated or decelerated bio-chemical reaction.

Remember, space and time are one.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
reply to post by sardion2000

Space time isn't "warped". Space and time are just the changing of energy through the forces that they exert on theirself.

Spacetime is a fabric that DOES warp and twist in the presence of a rotating mass. We're gathering the measurements from GPB right now that will show this to be accurate.

Time is no more than the Earth revolving around the sun because of the sun's magnetic fields and electromagnetical output. (light is electromangetic!)

??? Did you get this from a Victorian age Science textbook ???

Time in essence is just movemement. Just because something moves faster or slower doesn't mean "time" is going by and faster or slower.

Ok, now you lost me. Your post is just rambling off topic now...

Just because on another planet my body's pace of chemical reactions will change and I may die faster or live longer because of it, doesn't change the passage of universal time, only the way that my body experiences it through accelerated or decelerated bio-chemical reaction.

Remember, space and time are one.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

Time is relative to the observer...
I still don't get your point and you have not addressed the point of my post soo... try again?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
For one the Earth for certain isn't the center of the universe. For two the fabric of space-time is everything, including the planet Earth and its crust. So?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
reply to post by BlasteR

OMG TOM! The light is going off, it MUST only mean that there is a ghost in here!

Wow, what leaping bounds of logic and science to be taken from a simple electromagnetical reading!

This post makes no sense other than to mock mine based on assuming these people don't know what they're doing. These people in particular who have been doing this for nearly 20 years. How about attacking the fraud within the paranormal field first where it such attacks belong. People charging money for investigations and such. That's where the fraud really takes place. If you did your research you would know that Jason and Grant are well respected within the field of the paranormal and keep it scientific.

Their evidence consists of tangible proof. Audio and video. Not some hightened EMF reading and a temperature spike. Some people have no idea what they're doing in this field and start groups because they think it's "cool". These kinds of people are in for a wake-up call. Especially since the vast majority of cases bring up absolutely nothing but crazy people and druggies. . These guys didn't go knocking on SCIFI's door looking for a show, SCIFI came to them.

Watching them in action and the evidence they uncover makes the show one of the most popular shows on SCIFI (If not THE most popular show). And then they have a syndicated radio talk show which many people don't know about. They don't charge money to download their radio shows like others I will not mention. They are honest, down to earth, and look at the facts alone as well as the possibilities. They're knowledge is insightful and verifiable. They know what they are doing and they know what they are talking about.

-ChriS

[edit on 13-6-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Are you referring to linear Newtonian time?

Some might say that time was created for the special purpose of life to exist and to interact with their environment. But if there was no time on earth from the start, there would be no life anyway. This is existentialism at it's most interesting.

Many believed in Newtonian time as the standard until Einstein came along and threw a wrench into all that. We know that the speed of light is always constant. Therefore, for anyone traveling extremely fast time becomes compressed more-so than it would for someone standing still (relatively speaking of coarse). (i.e. time dilation).

From wikipedia..
en.wikipedia.org...

Einstein showed that if time and space is measured using electromagnetic phenomena (like light bouncing between mirrors) then due to the constancy of the speed of light, time and space become mathematically entangled together in a certain way (called Minkowski space) which in turn results in Lorentz transformation and in entanglement of all other important derivative physical quantities (like energy, momentum, mass, force, etc) in a certain 4-vectorial way (see special relativity for more details).

In the late nineteenth century, physicists encountered problems with the classical understanding of time, in connection with the behavior of electricity and magnetism. Einstein resolved these problems by invoking a method of synchronizing clocks using the constant, finite speed of light as the maximum signal velocity. This led directly to the result that time appears to elapse at different rates relative to different observers in motion relative to one another.

The idea that the electromagnetic forces in the Universe prove time is actually part of the "aether" was shown by einstein to be false.

The results of various experiments, including the Michelson-Morley experiment, indicated that the Earth was always 'stationary' relative to the aether – something that was difficult to explain, since the Earth is in orbit around the Sun. Einstein's elegant solution was to discard the notion of an aether and an absolute state of rest. Special relativity is formulated so as to not assume that any particular frame of reference is special; rather, in relativity, any reference frame moving with uniform motion will observe the same laws of physics. In particular, the speed of light in a vacuum is always measured to be c, even when measured by multiple systems that are moving at different (but constant) velocities.

Through his special theory of relativity came the all important E=MC^2, which was later instrumental in helping to building the atomic bomb.

en.wikipedia.org...

The formula was derived by Albert Einstein, who arrived at it in 1905 in the paper "Does the inertia of a body depend upon its energy-content?", one of his Annus Mirabilis ("Wonderful Year") Papers.[1] While Einstein was not the first to propose a mass–energy relationship, and various similar formulas appeared before Einstein's theory, Einstein was the first to propose that the equivalence of mass and energy is a general principle, which is a consequence of the symmetries of space and time.

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
An anti matter apple, I do not think would hold together for very long. I think it would disintegrate or collapse.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The antimatter apple idea isn't so much a matter of an actual physical experiment or concept as much as it is a thought experiment in the possibilities. We know that any antimatter apple would instantly be obliterated by real matter. That part we do know. What we don't know is what gravity's affect on that apple would be since we know very little about anti-matter. From what I gather, that is the real problem scientists are trying to figure out with this experiment (because we just don't know).

-ChriS

new topics

join