It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What’s wrong with ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I hope this is the right place for a rant….

Please forgive me if I am out of line but as a relative new comer I would like to express an opinion.

I have very much enjoyed reading the threads here and even participate in some of the ‘crazy’ threads at times but I as well as others have noticed something not quite right.

I have noticed for a while now that the most ridiculous of ideas are attracting a huge response while sensible topics worth discussing barely get looked at.

As one poster stated

ATS, is starting to have an increasing number of ignorant threads that get 100-200 replies. I guess I don't pick a popular subject on my threads.

Are people running out of ideas? Is there a conspiracy within ATS to only discuss the ridiculous?

Is it just me picking the wrong threads to read and topics to post? I have started a number of threads I thought would get some interest with nothing (even though some thought it worthy of applause) and have started some not so serious threads and got big responses.

Some examples of what I thought were sensible threads where the only replies were mine trying to generate interest…

Tenet & Bush Help Saudis Cook CIA 'Intelligence
Hermaphrodites caused by pollution
ASPAC Unon. Another step towards NWO?
And a not so serious thread with big results
The Americanisation of Australia

I can only speak for my own threads but I know there are others of the same opinion based on comments I have seen and unanswered threads I have read.

I know that nobody can tell anyone what to look at and we are free to comment and ignore as we please. This is only an observation and an opportunity to vent for myself and anyone else who so desires. Or you can just skip this entirely and I will quietly go back into my box.

[edit on 12/6/2008 by VIKINGANT]

XL5

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Honestly, whats more fun, Ben Stein talking about real energy solutions or a babe with F cups and a huge jackhammer? If everybody argees with the topic, then theres really nothing to discuss, but if theres a disagreement, it will go on for pages with blind, close minded retorts. The posters that state they know every thing and offer some ignorant idea's presented as fact that other ignorant posters praise them for get alot of posts from the people with knowledge on the topic. The posters with "real world" knowledge just don't get that the ignorant will never have an open mind enough to even research the subject without the help of biased sites. Its like arguing with a hardcore PETA member that humans are omnivores, the only research they will do or use will be from PETA sites and the like.

Sure, a simple solution to our energy problems is great and all, but what do you expect of ignorance that feeds off recent story's LIKE "an officer raped an eight year old girls dog and made her watch". You have to shock people or make them disagree to get them to post. If you have a story that relates to peoples problems, life and oppinions you will get replies of mainly personal stories that are constructive. I blame alot of bored teens who learnt everything they know from flashy bias sites and who veiw ATS like inane yahoo chat.

If everyone just ignored ignorance, it might go away. The problem is, they back pat just to rub it in. Lucky for the smart ones though that these people hide on the internet and never do anything about it.

If you don't like that your posts get no replies, try adding words like demolition, bush, no plane's, sex, rape, illegal, death's, Iraq, time travel, my theory, guns, bombs, device, chip, implants. Never start topics that teens and children will not understand, do not start topics every one understands and agrees with. Its also helpful when you don't give out all your info in the first post and or make them visit links to dull sites about physics/reallity unless its cartoonish or has a woman in tight clothes on a vibrating floor or has barney/songebob getting kicked in the noots!

Just post shocking things that about 30-40% will disagree with, ignore the SOLID facts they give and you will have a winner.

BTW I do believe in ET's, 911 complacency, god, free energy and some far out stuff, but there is a line.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with ATS, it's an excellent tool. Thank you

[edit on 12/6/2008 by BSentinel]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by XL5

That’s pretty much nailed it
I once started a thread in jest that people initially took too seriously, but since writing it, I have noticed the above more and more which is probably why it upset people. Have a look

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is the same argument that jasonjnelson had in this thread here....and I for one agree with you both...others do not seem to see it that way.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Also read this thread:

How To Make A Killer Thread On ATS

[edit on 6/12/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I thought I should add:
Please don’t get the wrong idea with this thread. I am not here for point, stars, flags or popularity. I am here to enlighten myself. If my threads don’t get replies, I don’t care, but what is disheartening is when I find a good thread someone has written and am keen to see peoples opinions, they often go nowhere as peoples attention is often taken towards things like Mars rocks that look like Jay Leno or Barney is an agent of NWO.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Nothing is wrong with ATS, every post is a sales pitch. It's a forum where everyone has an opinion and it's sort of a popularity contest at the same time. There is a combination of great as well as moronic ideas and viewpoints. We are all entitled to believe in whatever we want to believe in and it should be ok argue and debate over everything. Someday, nothing will be solved and it could be as early as never.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
VIKINGANT,

I know exactly what you mean - don't take it personally. It doesn't mean nobody likes your threads - sometimes just posting at the wrong time or the wrong day means people miss your thread and it drops into the abyss and gets covered by all the newer threads.

Try to think of it like posting a classified add, craigs list, or Ebay item. First it has to be something someone will buy, then you have to get it seen at the right time by the right people in order that interest continues.

I've posted more duds than hits like a recent thread that didn't get much response, but hey it had almost 400 reads that means I may have entertained 400 people. Just because nobody (or not many) was provoked enough to respond, doesn't mean it was completely worthless.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Thank you and I fully understand this. Like I said, dont care about mine so much, but also others I personally think have potential but are missed for various reasons. That and the fact that the most ridiculous threads get heaps of attention. The denver alien vid comes to mind..

we are supossed to be promoting integity on ATS but BTS type threads still sneak in. There is nothing wrong with BTS but you know what I mean

I also kmow you have posted on a few of mine before so thanks for that too. I am sure I have posted on yours. As with some others involved with this thread so far.

Edit to clarify: I am not saying the mods are leting BTS threads through. They cant be everywhere at once. I have had some moved so they are dong their job. We as members should also be moe vigilant and discerning with our own threads..

[edit on 12/6/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Maybe this will help you

Be the change you wish to see

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Thanks Neformore.
I guess in a roundabout way that is what I was trying to say. It is a brilliant message and we need to get it out. I have noticed a number of threads by disgruntled or perhaps disenchanted people recently and as a 'society' we need to encourage each other.
It has been suggested that this should be required reading. How about a mass U2U with the OP as a message with a link here..

I know this is what I wrote on your post, but there is no rule against double posting and I feel you should comended again.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I really can't see anything different - those type of threads you mention have always attracted lots of attention.
At least in my limited time here.

It'll get worse over the summer when schools are out.

But Nefermore said it perfectly.

I just keep plugging away and try not to get into the more "speculative" threads, although I have to say, some of them are a good read.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Sadly, that's the way it is. Sensationalism trumps Wisdom. I have had the same frustrations. Go ahead. Look at how many replies I have had to any of my threads. I would guess that the average reply rate to my threads is about 3 or 4... And the same goes for many of the great minds here on ATS (not that I would include myself in that group)... I've heard plenty of them (think Hellmutt, Masqua, Majic, 12m8keall2c - to name but a handful that springs to mind) voice the same frustrations. Thread-starters that should be published in International journals... Yet the responses are a bit slow.

And ATS isn't any different than anything else in life when it comes to this. Although I don't have any official numbers I can only guess that magazines like the Times or Business week doesn't sell nearly as much as say People magazine or [enter glossy, trash magazine name here]. That's just people for you.

Just keep in mind that although some of "those" threads get much more responses, the OPs get NO RESPECT. Most of the replies are there merely to confirm that the OP is a nutter, idiot or both... So, you're welcome to go for "the big one" if you're willing to sink to that level.

All that said, a "boring topic" could also be quite popular. Just throw in a bit of controversy. By challenging your reader, they will have no choice but to respond. As another member said: a post is nothing but marketing...

And when it comes down to it Neformore said it best. Do something about it. Like what? Ignore the trolls and attention-seekers. And support the worthy threads. Yes, even if you say, "that's an excellent thought, I especially liked the part of..." (Just keep the 1-liner rule in mind) or give your own spin on ideas.

That's all I have. Happy posting.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Sometimes it has to do with the time of the year when we have a wave of young members out for summer brake, with not jobs to do and plenty of time to browse the Internet and join public boards.

Its just temporary and remember that the long time members will aways be looking for the threads that are meaninful and of interest.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
I have noticed for a while now that the most ridiculous of ideas are attracting a huge response while sensible topics worth discussing barely get looked at.

People like what they like. People are interested in different things.
If we were all the same, this would be a dull world. An ATS echo-chamber.

Originally posted by budski
It'll get worse over the summer when schools are out.

UGH. Thanks for that reminder! BLAH!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANTI know that nobody can tell anyone what to look at and we are free to comment and ignore as we please.[edit on 12/6/2008 by VIKINGANT]

That said I do agree with you on this issue, but hay each to there own....

Every body is wecome

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
A good read, particularly with the offshoots imbedded here and there. Entertaining even, and I can't disagree with any ideas advanced here. I spend a fair amount of time, especially this time of year on a weather forum. Generally speaking, the weather posts are rarely get the most posts. I'm guessing that many folks come to forums like this for entertainment, not information/informed conversation. I think I'm about 50-50 in that regard. For example, I don't use the archives here at ATS for research very often. There is excellent evidence and documentation here, but often so buried in other stuff that it becomes cumbersome.

Still, this is a great place. Hmmmmmm, now this is where I should conclude with something spurious or mildly barbed.

Sorry, I got nothin'. Back to the espresso machine.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

Mod Edit: If you have an issue with any staff action please address it through the Complain / Suggestion feature. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 12/6/08 by JAK]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Is it already that time again?

If people wish to spam threads with topics you find retarded just keep on, I suppose sometimes people get tired of topics they use to enjoy, or perhaps just looking for a place to disagree.

Either way or not, this kind of stuff comes, and goes.

Such is forum life.

game on . . .

-Capt Obvio

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Should've used a life line!!!!

oh my god thats the funniest picture i've ever seen.

ATS is not a bad place.
But some people don't realize that it is privately owned. You can talk about whatever you want, but you have to do it without name calling and 3rd grade equivilant bickering.

Saying
"I like Obama because he's black" isnt bickering. he likes obama because a black man runs for president and no black man has ever done that before. Let him like him for that

but saying
"i dont like Obama for president because he's black!!!"
thats just racist, and belongs on more white supremacy sites

Also, as many have learned (go look at the members list and check all that are banned)

its not necessarily what you say

but its how you said it - that got the thread closed, or the member banned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join