It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth sized object in the outer solar system?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Earth sized object in the outer solar system?

I was on YahooNews reading how the International Astronomical Union decided on the term plutoid for dwarf planets like Pluto. Pluto and Eris are the only two plutoids.

This led me to a link on space.com (Gallery: Our New Solar System) that stated they are considering making Ceres, Pluto, Charon and Eris all planets bringing the total to 12.

On this page there is an image viewer with a little write up on each planet. On the one for Earth it said the following:

Earth is 7,926 miles in diameter, the largest of the known terrestrial planets. Some astronomers speculate that at least one object as big as Earth might yet be found in the outer solar system.

I was aware that some astronomers thought there had to be another planet due to irregularities in the orbits of Neptune and Uranus but I thought it would be small, like Pluto. The only other place I've heard anything like this is the group of conspiracy theorists that believe in Planet X. Does anyone else have any other information on this?

Here's the links:
Yahoo News Story
The New Solar System
Earth

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Planet X is sort of a catch term. Anypossibly discovered planet is given the billing Planet X until is is posssitively confirmed and named. Sure, there could be true planet sized objects in the outer system, I at the least wouldn't bet against it.
But it's not the Nibiru/Doomsday thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
They stated there could be many objects we dont even know about from the kuiper belt that might orbit from distance within the solar system.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I actually referred to it as Plant X because I was to lazy to look up how to spell "Nibiru." What I was wondering was does anyone have any specifics on Earth sized or larger objects that may exist past Pluto?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by yourrolemodel

I found an article from December 2004 that states some astronomers believe there may be many large objects beyond the Kuiper belt. They state the objects could be as large as Mars. Other astronomers believe there are objects in the Kuiper belt larger than Pluto. Neither group said anything about objects the size of Earth though.

Here is a link:

Planets X, Y and Z

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
whats great is they are just now really finding all the objects in the belt...so this is still all new.Btw you get a chance last november they ran a hour long on all this on the science channel.You can always go to the online website and look it up since they run it all the time.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The spacetoday.org article refers to Eris which I actually referred to in the original post. It's also not Earth sized.

The BBC link is about 2004 DW, also known as Orcus. It is smaller than Pluto.

I posted an almost identical article to the one from space.com two minutes after you did. It doesn't mention Earth sized objects either.

The article on the Hubble site is about Quaoar which has a diameter of 800 miles, far smaller than Earth.

LOL, the second space.com article is the one that I referred to.

Nothing close to Earth sized in any of those articles. Keep trying and keep up the good work.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

I went to science.discovery.com and ran a search on Kuiper belt objects. It came back with nothing. Any chance you have a link to the program you were referring to?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I wouldnt call this a worthy acticle but here.

www.grantchronicles.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I dont clearly remember the title of the show but this might be it.
www.space.com...

Your in luck airs
Jun 15, 5:00 pm
Passport to Pluto...and Beyond
Jul 11, 4:00 pm
on the science channel

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
First, why would it be the 12th planet? Depending on the status of Pluto aren't there either 8 or 9 planets? Second, I had heard rumors of a dark companion to the sun, but is there any proof? Third, a galactic size black hole? Is there any precedence for such a thing? I get the feeling whoever put up this site is firmly planted on the other side of the speculation line. It was entertaining. Thanks alienstar!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

There's a program called "Passport to Pluto" airing on The Science Channel and NASA TV. Here's a synopsis:

NASA's New Horizon's mission to Pluto is set to launch starting January 17, 2006. PASSPORT TO PLUTO goes behind the scenes to show the development and testing of the spacecraft, and the hard work of the scientists, engineers and support staff who've worked for decades to make the mission possible. New Horizons will be the fastest spacecraft ever launched from Earth, on board America's most powerful rocket, and will be traveling the farthest distance to begin its primary mission of any NASA spacecraft. If all goes well it will reach Pluto and its giant moon, Charon -- some 3 billion miles from Earth! -- as early as 2015, and then travel on out into the Kuiper Belt, a previously unexplored region of the solar system, populated by "ice dwarf" worlds completely unlike the terrestrial and gas giant planets known through previous missions.

Makes me wish I had cable.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by yourolemodel]

[edit on 12-6-2008 by yourrolemodel]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Yeah i edited my above post it shows the new dates for the show.Anyways they now call pluto plutiod cause its in the class of a dwaft type planet.Pluto dont carry the characteristics of a true planet for size and shape.The reasoning behind the 12th planets is thos eother bodies they found also like pluto type,they claim..well some do they are asteroids from the belt.

link for the pluto name change.
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
You might wanna check utube for that show,you just might find it.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Actually, the "tenth planet," a beauty of 1490 miles diameter, was discovered back in 2003 and was confirmed and announced in April of 2006. Formally called 2003 UB313, later renamed Eris, the 'toid is larger than Pluto by about 100 miles, and orbits the Sun at about twice the farthest point of Pluto's orbit.

National Geographic: Size of "Tenth Planet" Confirmed

National Geographic: Pluto & Xena Given New Names

In deference to the Planet X theorists out there, the new planet was initially nicknamed "Xena" by its discoverer, astronomer Mike Brown at the California Institute of Technology.

Brown conceded that Xena was not exactly the name of a mythical god — but, Brown joked, if Pluto could be named after a cartoon dog, then 2003 UB313 could be named after Xena: Warrior Princess.

Incidentally, Mike Brown is the man at CalTech when it comes to discovering Kuiper Belt Objects. So far, Xena (renamed Eris) is the largest Kuiper Belt object discovered so far.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I included the yahoo link in the original post. How did you end up in a calzone?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Eris was actually mentioned in the original post. Do you know anything about possible Earth sized planets in the outer solar system? I loved the name Xena and the explanation Mike Brown gave. Do people have a favorite astronomer? If so then Mike Brown is mine, god rest Carl Sagan's soul.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by yourrolemodel]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Yeag its on youtube just type in passport to pluto.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by yourrolemodel

Im italian...just would rather be there then here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join