It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Street Traffic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
All of these people are in a hurry and are going at good speeds

not a single wreck
not a single "slow driver"
nobody talking on their cells
nobody stuffing their face with McDonalds

amazing how.....that....seems....to.....work....

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
oooo, Dr. Love showed you

Please, no need for that. Badge is a member whos contributions I admire. This isn't a pissing contest.

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Sorry, it really was said in jest

second line

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's just common courtesey to move over if you are in the fast lane and someone is coming up on you. Also it is illegal to pass on the right... the left lane is called the passing lane for a reason. If you aren't passing people then you need to move over, it doesn't matter what you think should be "right" people are going to go faster than the speed limit. Personally I rather set my own speed and keep away from all other cars as people are very inattentive.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigshow
It's just common courtesey to move over if you are in the fast lane and someone is coming up on you. Also it is illegal to pass on the right... the left lane is called the passing lane for a reason. .

though i competely agree with the basis of your post

Just FYI it's not illegal to pass in the right. Its an unwritten rule of the road that the left lane is for 'fast lane'

the idea of a fast lane, is in its self, illegal
Since going over the speed limit is illegal in both lanes.

Now - if they pass in the "far right" (aka the shoulder) of the freeway/highway whatever, yeah thats illegal

Just wanted to clear that up

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

FYI you can be cited for illegal lane usage... which is passing in the right lane only under certain circumstances. Here is a link to a person who was ticketed for passing on the right.
answers.yahoo.com...

Furthermore if you research several states have left lane laws.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
and if that same lane of traffic has someone doing 60 MPH and i want to do 65 or 70, why can't i?

You'll have to wait until that lane is clear. I agree that no one should clog up traffic, but if they are passing someone who is doing say 55, then they aren't doing anything illegal, just inconveniencing you a little - simply wait your turn to pass. About the 70mph passing? If the speed is posted at 65, it's illegal to pass over that limit - period. When everyone decides to go whatever speed they feel is right and justified, is when it causes flow problems.

I drive 70 on the highway because 65 is stupid. Everyone around me drives 80, so whats the big deal? 70, mostly - the cops let you by with 5 mph over the limit because 65 is too dang slow

Because the speed limits are set so to maintain a consistent flow of traffic so that problems aren't created that you are ranting about. If you think you have the right to drive as fast as you want regardless, then someone else should probably drive 120. Is that okay with you? It's total nonsense to believe you should have some extraordinary driving rights that no one else has. Your observation of others speeding does not give you the right to do so as well. In my opinion, the cops are not enforcing the law because they do not have enough resources to catch every one of you. No where is there a rule that says a cop will allow you a certain margin over the speed limit. It is purely at their discretion. They allow it not because they believe its too slow. How long have you been driving now, a week and a day?

My problem wasnt with people doing 5 mph over

my problem was with people who go 55 in a 30
who go 85 in a 65 and get up on your bumper

So, sorry that you read my post wrong, but im glad we coudl clear things up

Actually we haven't. You already admitted you think speed limits shouldn't apply to you because they are stupid and too slow, yet every speeder will eventually run up onto someones bumper because everyone isn't going the same speed. So perhaps you should say, "I hate tailgater's"?? That would be more accurate.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bigshow

All your link did was show you furthmore what i was saying man

Picture yourself driving down a highway

From the left to the right, here goes

A.) (farthest left) you have the left lane (aka the passing lane)
B.) you have the center line. Its a dotted white line
C.) You have the right lane (aka the slow lane)
D.) you have a white solid line
E.) You have the shoulder of the highway/interstate

It's not illegal to change/switch lanes, because the center line is a dottled white line.

If you're driving in the left lane, and use the right lane to pass someone in front of you - you are not breaking the law.

If you are driving in the rgiht lane and you use the shoulder to pass the person in front of you, because the person on your left wont move, then youa re brekaing the law

thast what that yahoo answers message is telling you.

The only law i've been able to find, reading the The United States Uniform Vehicle Code is that its illegal to "travel" in the left lane, (fast lane).

i've been able to find nothing that states its illegal to pass someone in the "right" lane.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

When everyone decides to go whatever speed they feel is right and justified, is when it causes flow problems.

You're right. When people choose to go 45 in a 65, it causes problems.

Because the speed limits are set so to maintain a consistent flow of traffic so that problems aren't created that you are ranting about.

No - they arent. Speed limits are set to maintain reasonable yet SAFE speed depending on your surroundings. It has nothing to do with the flow of traffic. If it wasnt about safety, there'd be no reason to drive 20mph through a school zone.

No where is there a rule that says a cop will allow you a certain margin over the speed limit.

actually since police are given "officers discretion" ... they are. Nice try though

You already admitted you think speed limits shouldn't apply to you because they are stupid and too slow

You're right. I did say that i believe 65 is too slow for interstate travel.
I never said i was angered by people that go 70? Did i?

No i said people that drive "TOO FAST"
which, i guess you can misconstrue as a vague statement. 5mph over the limit isnt "too fast" though by legal definition it is speeding.

25 mph over the limit is too fast. THose are the people i am complaining about.

yet every speeder will eventually run up onto someones bumper because everyone isn't going the same speed. So perhaps you should say, "I hate tailgater's"?? That would be more accurate.

No, they wont. Those are called tailgaters. If you're driving 85, and im driving 70, and you come up behind me with no way to go around me, the law does not allow you to get up on my bumper. It says you need to slow down.

Man, i feel like im teaching drivers ed up here, except the one person setting in class is staring off into la la land.

I can give you credit for trying to nitpick anything i said. Though you just make yourself look silly.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Perhaps its best if you lobby your state legislature to make speed limit signs with a margin or range of whats too fast or too slow. +5 is okay for you, +25 is not, but they have already set a standard that you refuse to follow. You know as well as I that no speed limit would be good enough for you. You will then add 5 more mph to it just to get there ahead of the guy next to you.

Your arguments tend to be diminished when you clearly break the laws and complain about others getting in your way or encroaching on your rights. I have no doubts that you are the guy passing by me when I am doing the speed limit and then running up on the car in front of you in order to intimidate them to get out of your way, even though they too are probably not speeding or still within the lower legal limit posted. You're probably in a hurry most of the time and would be better off to plan your outings to account for traffic.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I sometimes wonder if the highway statistics would be considerably less if everyone drove courteously, and with patience and caution. It might make the whole experience a lot nicer for everyone.

When you think about it, going 75 instead of 65 only gets you to your destination five or ten minutes faster on average. Is it really worth the added stress?

Today the highway is a dangerous place, with speeding truckers who haven't slept in two days on speed trying to make up time, to cowboys and distracted soccer moms on their cellphones, multitasking rather than trying to drive safely. They just don't realize the risk.

Most people would agree that the amount of control and the reaction time is much improved at 55-60 and you can feel the slight additional control needed when you get near 70 in your average passenger car or top-heavy SUV. It would be different if cars were all manufactured with maximum road control design and safety being stressed, but they're not really designed for high speeds, imo.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join