ATS: Microsoft and SCO Smoking Gun?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
"Follow the money", from the days of Deep Throat and the Watergate coverup, this line has always been a resounding theme when conspiracies are considered. Now, a memo from October of 2003 indicates Microsoft has been not just a significant contributor, but the single major source of funding for the SCO group's lawsuits and legal extortion against the Linux community. Again, following the money proves the source.

OpenSource.org I realize the last negotiations are not as much fun, [but Microsoft will have brough in $86 million for us including Baystar. The next deal we should be able to get from $16-20 , but it will be brutial as it is for go to makerket work and some licences. I know we can do this , if everyone stays on board and still wants to do a deal. I just want to get this deal and move away from corp dev and out into the marketing andfield dollars....In this market we can get $3-5 million in incremental deals and not have to go through the gauntlet which will get tougher next week with the SR VP's. It certainly is in Microsoft's best interest to disrupt the Linux open source community. And nothing has ever disrupted it more than SCO's attempts at legal extortion. More and more, we find Gates and Microsoft involved in modern "conspiracies". Background stories: Seeking 'certainty,' CEO signs SCO Linux license SCO identifies Linux licensee SCO sues Big Blue over Unix, Linux Judge accepts expanded SCO lawsuit SCO selling Linux licenses online SCO suits target two big Linux users The SCO Group Web Site [Edited on 4-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord] [Edited on 5-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Perhaps you should read Microsofts memo on how they want to destroy Linux by either buying all the licenses or hitting them with million dollar lawsuits.

They'll never get us all! mawaahaha!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
two words : NO WONDER! No matter, this is the new America, profit by litigation. SCO is going down in a burning flame. I had always thought that MS was behind this somehow, and this just goes to prove it. No way SCO could have had that much money to go to court so many times.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
More and more, we find Gates and Microsoft involved in modern "conspiracies".

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

I would say that in the last decade BG/MS would easily be
the largest consumer conspir'. 95% of business and home
computers using 'designer swiss cheese' based softw'.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It would (and probably will) be supremely funny when SCO goes belly up from all this mess and MS will have actually eliminated another competitor, but in turn given more space to Linux, and also proven that it can take the heat of a major trial-by-fire and come out stronger and better for it.

On a side note Fyodor of Nmap fame has pulled a interesting stunt, and has revoked SCO's rights to distribute Nmap due to their tactics and refusing to accept the legality of the GPL.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Actually, what I like the best is that up until the end of January 2004, www.sco.com was on a linux box running an Apache web server.

OS Server Last changed IP address Netblock Owner
- - 5-Mar-2004 Failed to resolve hostname -
unknown Apache 31-Jan-2004 216.250.128.12 NFT
NetBSD/OpenBSD Apache 30-Jan-2004 216.250.128.12 NFT
unknown Apache 29-Jan-2004 216.250.128.12 NFT
Linux Apache 28-Jan-2004 216.250.128.12 NFT
unknown Apache 27-Jan-2004 216.250.128.12 NFT
Linux Apache 12-Dec-2003 216.250.128.12 NFT
unknown Apache 11-Dec-2003 216.250.128.12 NFT
Linux Apache 3-Sep-2003 216.250.128.12 NFT
Linux Apache 21-Aug-2003 216.250.140.112 NFT
Linux Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.7.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6 PHP/4.3.2-RC 17-Jun-2003 216.250.140.112 NFT

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
A while back, MS actually paid SCO it's license fee for the 'windows services for unix'...

And to this date, I don't think SCO has been able to say 'what' exactly Linux is using that is violating SCO's I.P.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
www.newsforge.com... Although the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) never officially makes public when it investigates an organization, an SEC staff member told NewsForge that complaints and tips about suspected under-the-table funding, stock-kiting, illegal insider trading, and money-laundering involving Microsoft or Microsoft-connected individuals to the financially struggling SCO Group have been coming into the agency with regularity since last August. The SEC "does not take such complaints lightly," the source said. Wow! This could get interesting if true.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
A while back, MS actually paid SCO it's license fee for the 'windows services for unix'...

And to this date, I don't think SCO has been able to say 'what' exactly Linux is using that is violating SCO's I.P.

It is true that MS did buy a license. The have in the past as well. More than likely they buy the license to see how to break compatability between code written for UNIX and Windows.

Other than the code that was put in by some folk over at SGI, there has been no further proof. I am interested in seeing what exactly is being copied. If its BSD code from before the Novell/BSD settlements, then there can be no complaints by SCO.

And to top it off. In Jan of 2004, you were still able to get the linux sources from the sco ftp sites. This sounds like distribution, and if they are distributing their own IP, then their basis of the legal claims should be thrown out the _ But I am not a lawyer, so I have no idea if the lawsuits can hold up under those circumstances.

new topics
top topics

join