It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Plague of Locust Grows Out of Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A locust plague of Biblical proportion could be brewing in Northern Africa. Larger than average rain fall has caused huge swarms of locust. Despite intensive control operations carried out since October 2003, the locust swarms are growing. They now cover an area of 500,000 hectares.(1,930 sq. miles). The situation is also growing in Saudi Arabia along the Red Sea coast line as well as in Australia.

FAO Newsroom
As the extent of the locust operation became apparent, Algeria and Morocco came rapidly and effectively to Mauritania's assistance. They have provided qualified staff, vehicles, pesticides and light aircrafts with an estimated value of more than $2 million.

This assistance has been organized within the framework of the Commission.

Nevertheless, large populations of desert locust are still present as swarms and hopper bands, covering an estimated 500,000 hectares in Mauritania and the Western Sahara.
A locust outbreak is also in progress on the Red Sea coast in Saudi Arabia where swarms are forming. Despite intensive control operations, some of these are expected to move into the central interior of the country where a further generation of breeding could occur in the spring.

adults & groups swarms hopper bands hopper groups

I've been watching this map for a few weeks, and the number of swarms seem to keep growing despite their best efforts. Algeria and Morocco were assisting, but now that the numbers have grown so large, they are reserving the pesticide for their own countries use. Unless the UN gives more assistance, it appears that these locust are going to go unchecked and do extensive damage to the region.
The swarms in Saudi Arabia are not as large, but they are growing rapidly as well and are large enough to devestate large areas of crops in the middle east. The larger these groups get, the more eggs are laid, and the faster the groups will grow.
Austraila is having thier own plauge of locust, saying it's been 10 years since they had such an outbreak, but for now it looks like they have the resources to control it.

Further Reading:
Pictures of recent swarms
My favorite swarm picture

ATS Discussions:
Plague of Locust headed for MidEast

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It doesn't look like a good situation. Hopefully they can get some control over the situation, the damage could be massive.
Africa and the Middle East get Locusts, Europe is getting crabs. What next?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Europe is getting crabs. What next?

You weren't kidding! I didn't even know about that situation.
Hordes of gigantic crabs on their way to invade Europe
The monster crabs, which can weigh up to 25lb and have a claw-span of more than three feet..
Scary! I think Red Lobster should pay attention to this. Sounds like one claw is a meal.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
lol, no, not kidding.
Ya, they're monsters, it seems!
Though, the locusts have the potential to do far more damage. Here's an idea. If the locust swarms damage crops, we can send crabs to the affected areas for sustenance.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
attack of the animals...surely the world must be coming to an end. i even heard a blurb about an elk attacking a man somewhere on the news today. I better watch out for all those lizards that hang out in my yard.

seriously though, locusts are a huge problem, because of the economic damage they do to crops. It's amazing how we can come up with weapons to kill people but we can't find effective ways of getting rids of bugs.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Lets just hope some jack ass terroist group doesnt take this a sign for the end of times junk. =)

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
An elk attack? Strange.
Tons of elk are dying recently, too. The count is at least 280 dead in the last month in Wyoming.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
An elk attack? Strange.
Tons of elk are dying recently, too. The count is at least 280 dead in the last month in Wyoming.

I may have quoted wrong.....I just heard it again on local news...it was moose on the loose that attacked a 60 something year old man in Utah.

elk..moose..same difference to me...sorry for my ignorance.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
plagues,famines,pestilence and wars

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
plagues,famines,pestilence and wars

Don't forget earthquakes. Last week's earthquake in Morroco killed over 600.

So its "plagues,famines,pestilence,earthquakes, and wars

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by dbates]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Lets just hope some jack ass terroist group doesnt take this a sign for the end of times junk. =)

Yeah, thats exactly what I keep saying......
Hasnt this stuff always happened anyways?
This is the 'information age', so yeah, I guess it will seem like these events are 'worse', but thats only because of the availability of news.

There always have and always will be wars, earthquakes, swarms of nasty bugs, diseases, people having strange dreams.......and Ill even throw in 'partridges in pear trees'......you know, for good measure.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
ok, so we have had crab swarms, locust swarms, and how many 'animal' viruses that have 'jumped' to humans..of course along with the 'animal' viruses that have not jumped to humans. so.....all just a funny coinsidence???????????

top topics

join