It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Plans to Kill Pirate Bay, Monitor ISPs With Multinational ACTA Proposal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
After all, i am aware of one or two of the basic concepts, as is my motto.

I think you might be acting under the circumstance of "If he disagrees, he must not know everything", if you catch my meaning.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Finally after all these years I learned what URL stands for.

Well all of you hackers and pedophiles are SOL. Soon you won't even own a computer and you'll be paying more than ever for internet use. It's not as if that's a bad thing. Look at the bright side, in about four years from now, these internet networks will be a thing of the past. And all that software you have will be obsolete.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I live in England. One of our Internet Service Providers, Virgin Media who own and operate our Cable TV/Phone/Internet network are going to be monitoring what their customers download and sending out warning letters to their customers who illegally download things.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
They destroy the public school system, totally neuter the math and science programs then expect everyone to roll over and play dead when people are sick of being ripped off by the charlatans taking us over the cliff. The internet represents a pushback by those that were ripped off in school. They want us to learn math, then when we understand programming and math outside the school system they want to criminalize that. The endgame seems to be an end to education, a criminalization of people that want to learn and know. That ends in oligopoly and anarchy as a response. The harder they squeeze the greater the risk and threat, so naturally they will attempt to grab all their power at once. Transparency should be of utmost imprtance now more than ever, expose the politicians that are involved in erecting this insanity.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I used to be a naughty computer user in my younger years and found that really the sky is the limit, if you know what you're doing and don't make mistakes you can get away with almost anything...

Regarding this law - you bring very strong encryption into play and they can't do anything again. Already utorrent is capable of strong encryption.

Law vs computers WILL NEVER WIN.

It's just like the 'war of drugs'.. sorry 'on' drugs. Just like viruses vs antivirus software.

Just another freedom grabbing law people, nothing to see... move on.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
They destroy the public school system, totally neuter the math and science programs then expect everyone to roll over and play dead when people are sick of being ripped off by the charlatans taking us over the cliff. The internet represents a pushback by those that were ripped off in school. They want us to learn math, then when we understand programming and math outside the school system they want to criminalize that. The endgame seems to be an end to education, a criminalization of people that want to learn and know. That ends in oligopoly and anarchy as a response.

The harder they squeeze the greater the risk and threat, so naturally they will attempt to grab all their power at once.
Transparency should be of utmost imprtance now more than ever, expose the politicians that are involved in erecting
this insanity.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
That's ridiculous, I hope this isn't true/the bill or whatever doesn't get through.

Why do they bother? Another way will just be found. It's not like the trackers are even profiting off any of this.

Maybe if people stop pumping out garbage to make profits such as really bad spam movies we'd pay? Ergh...

I saw Neon Genesis Evangelion first through 'dubious' means, but proceeded to buy it... Three times so far (Video, DVD, Remastered DVD). With a fourth on the way, although technically that's a remake so I won't count it, but I will get it.

Repeat for pretty much everything else. I realise not everyone does the whole 'try-buy' thing, some people just get it free forever and I guess that sucks for the studios creating software/media, but if people produce good products then people will pay for it. Ahh well it's an old argument/discussion.

What a stupid idea.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
i really dont see the problem. if u.s. passes this law, then all of these servers will just move to another country, where no such law exists... they can never pass it worldwide.

even if they start monitoring every single piece of data on the internet (good luck), people will ALWAYS find a way how to make any of their methods useless.

its the same as making new super-copy-protections for high definition movies... film studios spend millions of dollars for development of this protection and in a few weeks there is a program that can crack it. its nothing more than a waste of money, they could make the movies cheaper instead and more people would buy them.

btw didnt the guys from pirate bay plan to found their own country anyway?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Never ever ever going to happen,shut it down a new one pops up and so and so forth.Really...what a stupid idea.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by WISHADOW

Let me enlighten you WISHADOW.

How do you dare to lump hackers and pedophiles together? A pedophile need nothing more than a moron's IQ to find his quarry. He is also evil with illegal, sick and perverted thoughts filling his head.

A hacker needs more than your average Joe's intelligence. Hackers are visionaries with an extreme sense of adventure. Contrary to popular belief they are not all thieves. Their main objective is not to steal music or movies. The cyber world is wide open territory and the possibilities are limitless. It is a continually self updating game that knows no boarders or bounds.

As far as obsolete software......I got my first record player in 1957. In 1964 I went big with my first 8 track player for my car. My collection of 8 track tapes was rather large. Then, like a thief in the night, cassette players took over.

I have a path through my garage that is filled with obsolete equipment, computers and all the trappings associated with them. I fully expect to add this state of the art laptop to the ever growing pile one day.

The world of computers is continually changing. That's what makes the game so very interesting.

Now what point were you trying to make?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
1 word for you:

Peerguardian.

If you aren't running Vista yet, you can use this program. It updates daily, or by command instead whenever you want it to, which only takes seconds. You can choose which IPs to block and which not to specifically by typing in allowed IPs, simply because it blocks so many that it even ends up blocking online gaming services and other types of internet services. It also has an option section to select broad categories of IPs to block or not block, including Government & Military IPs, Anti P2P IP's, Adware/Spyware IP's, Universities and Educational institution IP's, and more. Plus, this is all global, not just the USA or the Western Countries. Mine is currently blocking 773,343,256 IP's. Most of the day it stays quiet, I get no hits to my IP, but whenever I log onto a P2P service, oh man .. it lights up. Torrent programs too.

Phoenix Labs makes it. Do a google search for it, you will be happy you did. I know for a fact it works; my sister wasn't using it, and we're on the same network, and I was using it. She got in trouble by our I-Net Company twice for downloading copyright television shows or movies, while I have an incredibly vast collection of stuff they'd just love to scan and find, and I've never received a letter from the internet provider about me having anything. BTW she had a firewall running, the default XP one, and I run no Firewall.

So go get it! It's free .. Peerguardian 2, by Phoenix Labs. You can even block HTTPs .. which just about cuts off access to all websites, but hey, there's got to be a reason for it being an option there? heheh.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by runetang]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The part I find amusing...

Do they really expect to arrest entire nations? Look around you, anyone else in the room with you? Have they downloaded music? How about movies? Video games? Ask them, they won't hesitate to tell you.

Chances are the majority of the people you know, are criminals. (Unless you're perhaps Amish.)

If the government were to catch every person downloading copyrighted material, and lock them away... the only people left would be infant children and the elderly retired and dying.

What does the government seriously hope to achieve here?
What CAN they achieve?

They can't scare internet users into obeying the law. They simply can't catch enough people to really cause anyone to notice them being caught.

They can't stop you from getting at those files... you would literally have to trash the entire internet to stop the file sharing (which would also be trashing all other forms of electronic communication, they're one and the same.)

This of course, is not new. (History repeats itself and all that.)

Cassettes.
Ah yes, those plastic things you used to have to spend half an hour re-feeding the tape back into because the cassette player just chewed it up.

What was so wonderful about cassettes? Both audio and video?
Piracy.

Thats right, blank tapes were so common in stores everywhere, because people were pirating songs and movies.
... what, you didn't think there were actually 100 home movies a day being made from the tapes sold at one wall-mart do you?

The practice of copying music, and copying movies became so common, cassette players were being sold with two cassette bays so you could clone cassettes.
More notably, it became such a common occurrence that the government had no option but to cave in and let it happen.

Of course, out of kindness (and a desire not to get sued) the tape manufacturers paid the record companies a certain toll. Lets face it, you're not going to pay for it... but you are paying for the tapes.

Essentially in comparison... the tapes are now your hard drive. The radio and cable TV is now the internet.

And they're trying to sue the DJ.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The way I see it, the very second that a radio station plays a song FOR FREE, that song is mine. I can record it from the radio, and keep it to myself. The radio station paid for it, and then they gave it out for FREE. Once the sound's leave the speakers, the music is now owned by everyone.

Case Closed, music is free.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

I go to my library and check out the DVD's for free. No need to waste my time downloading.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
hey guys

first time posting long time reader..

i had to chime in here after reading some one trying to lump hackers and pedophiles together....that comment was so wrong in so many ways...what you need to be doing is rereading some of the computer histroy and rent/buy the movie "Pirates of silcon vally"..read The Hacker Manifesto...then you can start thanking the hackers for bullet boards and irc and thing like that from before you were thought of...cause if you are old enought to rember the 2800 baud modem you know that bbs were the start of shareing files way before napster...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Yes, music is free over the air. Only for you to listen to as it plays. Record it for yourself and I don't think that is anything bad, but record it and use it in your DJ business and it becomes a whole new issue. Same thing if you record it and play it as background music for your employees or customers.

IF MUSIC WAS TRULY FREE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROFESSIONAL MUSICIANS.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I think the ISP's are responsible for everything.

They are providing the illigal service to us all, aren't they?

And asks money for it 'n all.. hehe.

Yeah. They should be sued.. For providing a illigal service to consumers!

Over here they do nothing about it.. Never got any letters... I think they don't even do that at all.. But what not is, is to come.

Ah whatever... I use newsgroups.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It sounds kinda like the government here in the U.S. is taking cues from those bastards at the RIAA...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by PureET
I think the ISP's are responsible for everything.

They are providing the illigal service to us all, aren't they?

And asks money for it 'n all.. hehe.

Yeah. They should be sued.. For providing a illigal service to consumers!

Over here they do nothing about it.. Never got any letters... I think they don't even do that at all.. But what not is, is to come.

Ah whatever... I use newsgroups.

This is an interesting concept. They're going after Pirate Bay, for facilitating access to the material in question, even though TPB is not providing the material directly. Seems to me you could make the case that the ISP's are the true entities that are facilitating access to the material. What's that? ISP's provide access to legal material as well? they can't control what users make available? Here's a news bulletin, neither does TPB, who also facilitates access to legal material.

The real issue here is that people are sharing information, information that isn't approved (or "scrubbed") by Big Brother first. Next, they'll find a way to criminalize blogging... watch.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I read about the people from PirateBay, they were planning on buying an island somewhere and setting it up as their own country with no copyright laws. They were also talking about running for government in Sweden too. At one point they were raided by the police and had all their computer equipment taken away but it was returned within a few hours with no charges being pressed. They seem to know what they are doing.

I use Piratebay but I would only download stuff, which if I like it, I would go and buy or which i've owned and have lost or damaged.
Is it true you can download something legally if you have previously paid for it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join