It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up! If you see TWO objects flying in tandem over the next few nights...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
well, noone answered me yet, lol... maybe I'll simplify my question:

How long does it take to cross the sky?

How many times will it orbit the earth in a 24 hour period?

Edit: Removed last question due to the link (which I looked at before). I'm no astronomer, so coordinates and such don't tell me anything at all. Simple english, like these posts, would be much helpful

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Earthscum]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

The ISS period is about 90 minutes.

Times from tonight's pass at my location:

11 Jun -1.0
Start: 21:35:34 10 WNW
Max alt: 21:38:11 31 SW
End: 21:39:33 20 S

So it was about 4 minutes.

Edit:

You'll only be able to view it if a pass is over your location within an hour or two after sunset.

[edit on 6/11/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

aah, thank you. Does it stay in the same path, or does it vary? I did notice it passed over latin america... will it pass more over the U.S. at all eventually?

I'm not really into coordinates at all... they are a completely different language to me (it's like reading music... I know how to do it, but I've never been able to grasp it enough to be able to actually read it... yet I've been playing music for about 19 years). I know others that are into skywatching and such, but are lost when it comes to any technical jargon... this is why I ask what may seem like something a person could figure out themselves. It's like when I try to explain mechanical things and vibrations to my girlfriend... she looks at me like a lost puppy, but it seems so obvious to me.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

The path over the earth varies. The directions listed are where compared to the compass the craft will be seen.

Example: If it was NNW 10 that means it will appear at the NNW, 10 degrees above the horizon. Then it gives the direction and maximum height above the horizon that the pass will obtain. The end position is where, compass direction and height above horizon, it disappears from the sunlight into the earth's shadow. This makes it easier to locate as one watches.

Hope that helps.

Edit: The site lists when passes are over your area during a time that it will be visible due to the time of day and with ISS position. They may not be a visible pass every day.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
funny I saw this thread because today I watched a T.V set with Sky news for a few seconds today while doing my work and the headlines said on 1 subject " NASA Today are investigating a UFO report after the spaceshuttle appeared to have been followed " .

Also footage was showed briefly of an object following.
It might have even been on re entry didnt catch all of it.

p.s you can look up the ISS flight path on internet, it shows maybe slightly delayed graphic going across the planet .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join