It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up! If you see TWO objects flying in tandem over the next few nights...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Don't jump to conclusions right away---According to www.nuforc.org... we'll be seeing the space shuttle and ISS quite prominently for the next few nights. So keep your eyes peeled as usual, but just be aware of this, as I know tons of folks will be reporting seeing "two UFOs"...

ALERT REGARDING SPACE SHUTTLE, “DISCOVERY,” AND INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION

Every time the space shuttle either approaches, or departs from, the International Space Station, NUFORC receives many reports of two “UFO’s” flying in tandem in the night sky. Please note that the space shuttle, “Discovery,” is scheduled to undock from the ISS at 07:42 hrs. (Eastern?), on Wednesday morning, June 11, and they will be seen very prominently in the night sky, passing overhead in proximity to one another, for the next several days. They are not UFO’s.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thanks for the heads-up! It makes me want to get my buddy to bring up his telescope to check it out... but I think he's still on vacation.

Anyone know: does the ISS cross the night sky once? Basically, is it geosynchronous (I think that's the right term)? or will it appear to cross the sky several times in one night?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
We've come a long way Baby! Now we're getting national warnings to not confuse real UFOs with flight plans of known targets.

Only NASA could keep a straight face saying this while denying there are any UFOs to start with.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

NUFORC != NASA

[edit on 11-6-2008 by IAttackPeople]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

NGC
good one! Oh, sweet irony!

I live in Ohio, there's no sky and what sky there usually is, is covered in clouds, so my chance of seeing the space shuttle and space station OR a UFO here, is limited at best...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It should also be noted that some of the sightings over the weekend were most likely the ISS/Shuttle passes while they were docked. I watched a pass and it was very bright (est mag -1.7). Hope some of you also got to see it.

Keep watching as something is out there.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Good point, thanks for bringing this up DimensionalDetective.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

I figured NASA sent them the heads up.

Then again, what better conspiracy?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hey all. It's always good to get that info out there, I notice a definite increase in those 'ufo' threads when the ISS and shuttle are in tandem.

This is a great site, for anyone not familiar with it, to plug in your location and get info on visible passes by the ISS, shuttle, hubble, and many others specifically to your area.

Heavens Above

LA, when they lower the orbit of the ISS before/after docking with the shuttle it is really, really bright. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you could see it even from your area.

Rush

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Looking forward to it!! we get 3 nights of tandem and one of the ISS by itself. Tomorrow, a whopping -1.8 magnitude! Weeeeeeeeeeeee! Little cloudy now, but hoping the front blows by.

Last time this happened, I discovered that the ISS and shuttle make a crappy photo-op. Yah. You can either take pictures of two streaks in the sky, or, even more dull, two pinpoints of light in a field of black.

BEtter just to watch it and wave and feel de wonder.

Cheers DD!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
how does the magnitude work? is it the higher the better i am assuming? thanks!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The lower the magnitude the brighter. 5 magnitudes is 100 times brighter.

Most stars we see are 6 thru 1.

About Star Magnitude

Edit: add link

[edit on 6/11/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Hiyah Rush,

Great site thanks for posting it! Star for you m'dear

You know, I don't care if people post pictures of the space station going by, just don't claim it's a UFO! Hey Rush, we need to get telescopes

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hi knuckler. The lower the value of magnitude the brighter the object is.

Definition of "magnitude"

This is a measure of the brightness of a celestial object. The lower the value, the brighter the object, so magnitude -4 is brighter than magnitude 0, which is in turn brighter than magnitude +4. The scale is logarithmic, and a difference of 5 magnitudes means a brightness difference of exactly 100 times. A difference of one magnitude corresponds to a brightness difference of around 2.51 (the fifth root of 100).

Hope this helps.

Rush

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Sorry roadgravel, I didn't see that you posted this.

Rush

LA, I have one, it's just a little dusty and the kids have ran off with all of my lenses.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Interesting, I saw something yesterday, and by no means am I claiming it was anything more than a satellite...

I saw something at about 430pm (NZT) and it was big enough to be seen during the day light hours...it travelled in a staight line across the sky...but it really caught my attention...just a black dot...but you could tell this was much much higher than a jet.

I checked the site you listed and it does not look like it was the ISS/STS docked up...but yet it was big enough to see in daylight with the naked eye.

BTW I'm in christchurch, nz

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Hi deadbang. That's interesting. Well, I'm not sure what you might have seen. I checked the database as well for daytime flares, but there were none. The only other explanation I can think of is a balloon, my kids like to let them go now and then and they look like exactly that, a black dot moving across that sky. And I don't mean any disrespect at all by even mentioning a balloon, I'm sure you would know the difference. So other than that, I can't spectulate.

Rush

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
hsur2112, no offence taken
...while I dont think it was a balloon like from a bunch of kids at school down the road...you got me thinking, I guess it very well could have been some other type of balloon from weather to those type that some of the mobile phone providers are using...

Here in NZ, and I make this observation having lived from DFW to Chicago to San Diego...the skies at nite here are beyond belief!...when we moved here 4 yrs ago, I was blown away, you can truly see 'our" portion of the galactic arm....we have this swath of stars that streatches right across the sky in the evenings...at the risk of sounding cliche'...feeling insignificant when looking up is an understatement!

Every evening (weather allowing) my son and I take a few and just look up...and just about every nite we see at least one and most of the time two satellites...with the number of visible objects...it's easeir to kinda defocus and watch for something moving in that field .....

thanks!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I watched the ISS-Shuttle pass around 21:30. An interesting sight to watch. I am in a dark area so they stand out quite well despite the moon.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Very nice heads up dd..

However, if I see 3 objects I'll assume the 3rd is an alien monitoring the ISS-shuttle action.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join