It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

plant and animal fossils found in Tibet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I wasnt really sure where to put this and I couldnt find the topic under search so feel free to move it where it should belong.

esciencenews.com...

Fossils were found that should normally be found at much lower altitudes. The discovery may lead to revising how scientists approximate tectonic changes in the earths crust which leads to new formations.

a snippet

"Major tectonic changes on the Tibetan Plateau may have caused it to attain its towering present-day elevations -- rendering it inhospitable to the plants and animals that once thrived there -- as recently as 2-3 million years ago, not millions of years earlier than that, as geologists have generally believed. The new evidence calls into question the validity of methods commonly used by scientists to reconstruct the past elevations of the region."

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Now that's interesting
Because if the Tibetan Plateau only rose 2-3 million years ago that coincides rather well with the onset of the Pleistocene Glacial Epoch (which we're still in) - so uplift in that region could well have been instrumental in pushing Earth into it's current Ice House phase.

Of course, the same period also coincides with our ancestors coming down from the trees (probably as a result of climatic change in Africa) .... so maybe the uplift of the Tibetan Plateau is directly responsible for homo sapien!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
That's pretty cool, but for some reason the link isn't working for me.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Just another example of how we have been wrong, and there is so much more to discover. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cheebay

Mate, that had nothing to do with what this thread is about, this is about the fossils uncovered by the earthquake. Take that to the political forum instead, please.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Fibonacci11235

I look forward to seeing what Yang's new field studies this summer turn up. If the area WAS undergoing rapid orogony (a $25 term for "mountain building"), then there could be quite a bit of biodiversity going on there. That'd mean new bones for paleontologists... something they all love to get their hands on!

join