It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents forcing religion on their children... all right?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Like I said it goes both ways. I don't force my children onto my beliefs like the OP said. So I was giving an example of other beliefs that can do the exact same thing. Why limit it on just Christians. Or those who go to a church. There all tons of other beliefs.

Oh and my best friend all the way from 7th grade, I’m 40 now and so is she, is Wicca and I don’t judge her nor her me. So don’t say I’m judging cause I’m not.

However, the OP asks why do parents force. I’m saying how does he know it doesn’t go other ways as well.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Very true but you were quick to point out only those of the more controversial type. Would it not have been less inflammatory to say "christianity is not the only religion in the world.. what of the other belief systems on this planet?" instead of singling out the ones that most people get up in arms about? Or is it that you automatically think negatively about those belief systems and point them out first?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I was pointing other examples out, duh! Would it be better if I go through and name every single religion? I was giving examples. Grow some skin, already.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Let me repost this from my previous post. Obviously you have trouble reading a full post and comprehending what I am saying.

" Would it not have been less inflammatory to say "christianity is not the only religion in the world.. what of the other belief systems on this planet?" instead of singling out the ones that most people get up in arms about? "

With that said.. this thread is not a christian basing thread. As a matter of fact, the title states "Parents forcing religion on their children.. all right?" and used an example that just happened to be parents forcing the child to go to church.

You are the first one to actually get defensive in this thread. Everyone else has simply made their opinions known and moved on. Why so defensive when there is no reason to be so?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I had no tone, I was simply pointing out other stuff as well. So I didn’t use the exact words you thought I should of used, so you jump all over me. Telling me I am being derogatory when I was simply pointing other stuff out.

Once again excuse me for not using your words. Maybe I should contact you next time and ask which wording I should use. Obviously, I am not as tactful as you are!

With that said you know what I was saying, yet you are continuing with why could I have not said it your way!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
My my .. a lil testy there..

Either way, again, you ignored part of my post. Which in this case asked you a direct question and pointed out that you took offense to a thread that was not even remotely close to christian bashing.

No matter. I already have a good idea what the answer would be. Your lack of answer only confirms it.

Have a beautiful evening Shar

VV

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I answered your question just read what I said. You just want me to go back and erase what I said and reword it your way.

Oh you have a beautiful evening too.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Let me try this one last time before I depart this thread.

Here is my question. Please actually read this so you understand it is not what you think it is.

With that said.. this thread is not a christian basing thread. As a matter of fact, the title states "Parents forcing religion on their children.. all right?" and used an example that just happened to be parents forcing the child to go to church.

You are the first one to actually get defensive in this thread. Everyone else has simply made their opinions known and moved on. Why so defensive when there is no reason to be so?

It has nothing to do with how you worded something. You have been fussing for about 30 minutes now over something I stopped talking about 20 minutes ago.

VV

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValhallasValkyrie

It has nothing to do with how you worded something. You have been fussing for about 30 minutes now over something I stopped talking about 20 minutes ago.

There is no way I can argue by myself. I am responding to you. So you cannot say you stopped talking about this 20 minutes ago when you are in fact still talking. Makes no since does it now. I only post after you not before you. Duh.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Here we go... lets try this method.

Why.....

are....

you....

so....

defensive.....

about......

a.....

thread.....

that....

is.....

not.....

christian.....

bashing????

Not that I think you read all the way down to this point.. but that is what I have been talking about for the past 20 minutes. Even my christian b/f sitting beside me is shaking his head at your antics.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here we go... I answer that and said I am not!!!

You....

are.....

the.....

one.....

who.....

first.....

said......

I.....

was.....

being......

derogatory!!!!

Now that you read this far you should understand that you were the one who got defensive!!!! After I answer you and thought you would understand on the top of this page you continue with yet another question.

Would it not have been less inflammatory to say "christianity is not the only religion in the world.. what of the other belief systems on this planet?"
so here you understood yet you posed it as a question. Instead of saying you get it. Then you continue yet again. with the same question.

" Would it not have been less inflammatory to say "christianity is not the only religion in the world.. what of the other belief systems on this planet?" instead of singling out the ones that most people get up in arms about? "

Then you ask again

Why so defensive when there is no reason to be so?

After your first post to me was saying I was being derogatory, and even after I told you I was just making a general statement then you still continue.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ValhallasValkyrie

I didn't get that there was any offense meant by Shar's original comments and you seem to be the only one offended by them and are having a hard time letting this go. Also, why is it ok for the poster to use church as an example but not ok for Shar (or others) to come up with different examples. Shar's point was very clear. Christianity is not the only religion in the world where parents force their beliefs on their children. Just because you happen to be a member of a religion that was one of her examples does not mean that her comments were directed at you personally and were actually very general in nature.

Now to my point. Religion is a person’s belief system and what they have faith in. This can not be forced on anyone. This post is a prime example of my point in that he has said that his parents take him to church but he doesn't believe in God.

Just because a child is taken to church or synagogue or temple or forest clearing (whatever) as a child does not mean they will not develop their own beliefs as they grow older. It just means that the parents are trying to instill their faith in their children in hopes that they will continue to be together even in the next life. We are not animals who merely feed our young until they can feed themselves and then chuck them out of the nest. We should care about our children our whole lives. Both their physical needs as well as their spiritual development. Obviously a person’s religion is going to be an important part of their life and they would like to see their children embrace the same beliefs.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spaceweasle7

As long as you are dependent on your parents for continuing you lifestyle, you should go through the motions.
If you do not want to set foot in a church, you should find a legitimate reason to not, for example, have a job that demands you work on Sunday morning.
If they question you about it, tell them you are going to pay rent.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Just to throw my 2p worth into the mix..

I have no problem with religious education in schools (as long as it's not taught as fact). I think it's important for children to understand that lots of people have different beliefs and that there's nothing wrong with that.

Nor do I have a problem with parents teaching their child about their beliefs (as long as they aren't forced upon them) and allowing the child(ren) to come to their own conclusions.

What I do have a problem with is beliefs being forced upon young children who are unable to comprehend exactly what it is that they are meant to be believing in.

Originally posted by kinglizard
Kids don't have the ability to make these decisions for themselves. It's a parents responsibility and obligation to God to make their children learn about Jesus and his teachings. When they move from the home they will be the captain of their ship but the parent still has the responsibility to guide them back to God.

Sorry, I disagree. It's a parent's responsibility (and obligation) to encourage their children to think independently for themselves and not to just believe whatever they are told.

You also say "Kids don't have the ability to make these decisions for themselves" but then continue to say they should be taught "about Jesus and his teachings."

Surely if they are unable to make decisions for themselves then all you are doing is forcing your beliefs down their throat?

Many do and act on their own 'adult' like decisions. This is why we are seeing so many youth issues these days. If parrents would cradck the whip and take control of their 'little addults' we would be much better off.

Leaving religion out of this for a moment... Making mistakes and then learning from them is an essential part of 'growing up' in my experience. You can't hold your children's hands forever. You have to let them make their own decisions and travel their own path in life.

As for...

You would be correct...I don't support the teaching of false doctrine.

What you're saying then is that they should only be taught what YOU believe? That they should not be made aware of other religions? That they should be kept in the dark regarding anything that you don't approve of?

Does that mean that you wouldn't want them being taught some aspects of science at school too for fear of it going against what your beloved Bible says?

From what you've said I honestly feel for your kids (if you have any). They must lead a pretty sheltered life.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

If you do not want to set foot in a church, you should find a legitimate reason to not

Erm, surely not believing is a pretty legitimate reason for not going to church??

[edit on 12-6-2008 by threedoom]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Kids don't have the ability to make these decisions for themselves. It's a parents responsibility and obligation to God to make their children learn about Jesus and his teachings. When they move from the home they will be the captain of their ship but the parent still has the responsibility to guide them back to God.

Its a parent's responsibilty (and obligation) to make their children learn about Jesus and God?

Why not Eskimo,Polynesian,Viking or Rastafarian relgion?

Its only your opinion that the bible is something more than just a book.

I find your initial statement to be rather condescending,conditioned and patronising-whether you meant it that way or not.

Tolerance is a two way street you know.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

When they're old enough to be out on their own and paying their own way. Until then, if for no other reason than out of respect to their parents, they should do what their parents ask.

I agree with this . Even teen agers generally do not make the best decisions. I didn't. They want to do a lot of "cool" things that aren't good for them.

If the parents have genuine beliefs they should be able to teach the kids a logical and sensible view of their faith. What I'm hearing from the kids in this thread is the problem is many of the parents aren't even really believers so the kids see it as hypocritical. That fear and control crap isn't even Christianity and these kids don't know the difference. Too bad. That's the parents failing not the faiths.

Consider: The existence of counterfeit money does not prove that real money doesn't exist.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by spaceweasle7

"" Parents forcing religion on their children.""

This is so sad.

That is so NOT Gods way, to force anyone.

God is about free will and free choice, and it is our test from Him, to recognize that we, are His creation.

Did you force your wife to love you? She either does it of her free will or she doesn't. It's pretty simple.

This forcing thing, reminds me of Baptising an infant. where is the free will? where is the choice?

One cannot be Baptised in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit if it is not a conscience decision.

It is merely theatre.

The parents can't save their baby by Baptising it. The child must want it for himself.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Up until the age of ten, I went to church regularly. Nope, I wasn't forced to go. I went because being from a very poor family, the church people told me if I came to church to learn about god, they would feed me. I was lured into going to after school bible club by way of cookies, candy, etc. Even at that young age, I knew there was something seriously wrong with what the church taught, and what the bible said. I stopped going to church shortly thereafter.

My children have never been to church. They've never prayed before. They are teenagers now and have never caused me any troubles. I brought them up with strong family values and a good set of morals. I didn't need god to become a good person, and neither did my kids. They know right from wrong and they live it. They have respect for people. They are good kids who take every chance they can to help someone in need. I'm very proud of them.

I didn't force them not to go, they had opportunities to go to church with friends/family, and they chose not to. They are old enough now that they can, if they want to, explore religion.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I agree with Benevolent Heretic.

Oddly enough, it is the Koran that says it best: 'there can be no compulsion in faith'. Belief is a personal thing, and cannot be forced.

Parents who send their children to church* are either:

1. trying to force their own religion on their children, as the OP says, or

2. trying to sneak it into them before they're old enough to realize what's going on.

In other words, they are acting in a manner either underhanded or brutal. Amazing how many people seem to think their children are their property, to raise just as they think fit.

or temple, mosque, synagugue, sacred glade, sacrificial altar; you name it.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Astyanax]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join