It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents forcing religion on their children... all right?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
although I did not grow up in a religious family, i have many freinds (I'm 17, remember) whose parents make them go to church, even though they do not belive in god (for legidimate reasons... not just because they don't like waking up early on sundays)My question is, what do you think is and acceptable age that children can decide that they don't want to go to church?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I think 13, if they can provide a decent explanation on why they don't belive in god.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
When I was 13 years old my mother told me that it was not only my right but my responsibility to go out there and find God for myself. It was the greatest gift anyone could have given me and I am raising my children the same way...the end result being that I have a 14 year old son who wants to be a quantum physicist (and he can even do the math part
), he wants to find God through science.
My mother was a Christian and the freedom she gave me to explore all roads up the mountain taught me what true Christianity is all about.
Some religions are a lot more fear based than others. It seems to me that the more fear based the religion, the more imperative it is to make sure your children are surrounded by that religion at all times. For them, forcing their children against their will to go to church is love and kindness, it's the child's soul and salvation that are at stake for pity sake!

If in the mean time, your friends have to go to church on Sundays and pay homage to a God they just can't get on board with....well oh well! They can
A.catch up on sleep after Saturday nights shenanigans or
B. It will build character

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm also 17. I'm forced to go to church every Sunday. I have been forced to go to church my entire life. Through this I have seen the hypocrisy and lies of christianity. I always ask older people in the church questions about their beliefs they can never answer. I know pretty much everything there is to know about christianity. My entire childhood revolved around it. I was influenced everyday by these people that wished to instill fear on me so that I would become a tool for their religion.

It's funny to because they have Christian colleges. A majority of my peers have gone away to these places. Guess what? They are not allowed to date. Girls are not allowed to wear jeans. They are not allowed to leave campus without an adult(even though they are all 18). This is all at COLLEGE!!! The christians have these kids so brainwashed into doing gods "will".

The most funny part about these christians controlling their kids even into adulthood is the fact that all of these kids that go to christian colleges always come back worse. No exaggeration. My two closest friends who were duped into going to these places are messed up now. One came back pregnant the other came back strung out on meth. These are just two examples of many.

What i'm trying to say is that the parents and the church don't stop at 18. They literally have these kids so brainwashed that they will do whatever their pastor tells them. I'm am glad I didn't fall into these traps. I realized at about 14 that all of it was abunch of BS.

You say 13 is a suitable age. If I would have tried to think on my own at 13 I would have been suspened and called a tool of satan.

This is really how it is.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spaceweasle7

You cant stop believing soon enough in my opinion.
People give their children an inconclusive vision of reality and with that they make the lifes of their children a lot mor difficult; if you have to accept the existence of a juror, judge and punisher in the sky, there is no telling what people can make you believe.
There is, however a great , underlying spiritual quality to reality that is very important to teach your kids to discover.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceweasle7
what do you think is and acceptable age that children can decide that they don't want to go to church?

When they're old enough to be out on their own and paying their own way. Until then, if for no other reason than out of respect to their parents, they should do what their parents ask.

They can use it as a little quiet meditative time away from iPods, video games, TV etc. if nothing else. Personally, I think at the age of 16 or so, if they want to get up, mow the lawn, clean the house and do a couple of loads of laundry in lieu of going to church that would be acceptable. Chores are an ideal time to meditate.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I wish I could do chores to get out of going to church. If I don't go to church I get kicked out of my house.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

You have my sincere sympathy. I don't think that's right either. But trust me, my kids could give you a couple thousand reasons why they think I suck as a father. Which is ok with me. If a teenager has no issues with your parenting, you're probably doing it wrong.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Yeah that's true.

It's sad though that I know more about my parents religion than they do. I had to go to christian school and every subject had the bible in it. Christianity may not be as bad as I think it is but, when you have something shoved down your throat your whole life you eventually start hating it.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I understand completely. Christianity isn't the problem. It's the "Christians". And yes I used quotation marks for a reason.

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." `G.K. Chesterton - one of my favorites.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Kids....

theendisnear.. please ask me any question, i am sure you know nothing about Christianity... and as for hypocracy... God said love God with all your hearts and your enemies as yourself.. these are the baises teachings..

Now as for me.. I never went to church ( I am 26 ) before I was 20.. I didn't know who Christ was.. I was searching.. i believed in god but didn't know who God was... nobody forced me, brought me up with God.. None of it.. I converted through miracles and asking God to show me (by choice)

see that's the thing.. some people actually chose to go to church out of love... not forced, not handcuffed..... they actually exist and I am one of them// i love God...

and as for (think for themselves)

anybody can do that.... having a though alone is thinking for yourself, but simple rules... and having faith is not (not) thinking for yourself, it's just like a earthly dad who gave us rules, God does the same as a heavenly father... not hard to follow...

If something was true... and you revealed it to someone and they believed it, does that take away their thought for themselves? no... it just means something has been revealed to himself...

I can think about anything I want.. like do I want blue cheese on my salad... and so forth.... but having faith doesn't take away thinking for myself.... because if I did only that then I would be all about myself...

anyways... children.. should be brought up with God... they can decide when they get older what they want to believe, but if you don't teach them anything deep they will grow up shallow ass grow folks... like I see everywhere who are all about money sex and materialism.....

parents who have faith have to do their job... discipline, deepness... answer questions and when they get ode they will eventually decide for themselves...

peace.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spaceweasle7

Good post,I suppose the civilised and responsible thing to do is to afford children the luxury of arriving at their own conclusions.
When it gets unhealthy and irresponsible is when extremist idiots actualy indoctrinate/condition/brainwash their own children into a specific cult/sect/group.
Just have a look at this lot:

Undercover mosque:
www.youtube.com...

Jesus Camp:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
As a mother.. I have never forced religion on my children.

I did not take them to church, however, I let other family members take them, as well as friends.

Nor did I take them to my religious services.

Now, at the ages of 15 and 13, they choose to go to church and will have their rides to church arranged before the weekend hits.

They also express interest in coming to my religious services to learn my belief system.

I do not believe that a parent should make a child go to religious services - of course... infants and toddlers are an exception unless you are willing to have someone watch them. I actually chose to have a babysitter for my children when they were toddlers... simply because my religious services are, nine times out of ten, outside and it is hard to participate and or perform (I am ordained) if I am having to round them up every 30 seconds.

VV

[edit on 11/6/08 by ValhallasValkyrie]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing your religion with your children...as long as you are just sharing it.

I am not a religious person, I am agnostic with some very paganistic beliefs. My daughters stepmother is very religious. Now I don't mind that they bring my daughter to church with them, and if I were still a kid I wouldn't mind when my grandparents would bring me to church, I would try and keep an open mind. However what really bothers me is when my daughters stepmother forces my daughter to do "christian" orientated things in her everyday life.

For example, she will not let my daughter eat or go to sleep until she has prayed. Prayer is definatly not something that should be forced. I feel that prayer is a personal thing between you and your God and should not be directed by anyone. She has also made unsavory comments about being born of unmarried parents. Of course her father and I were not married when she was born so you can imagine how this makes her feel.

So again, I have no problem with parents making their kids go to church, but they should keep an open mind about religion with their kids in general. "Son I want you to go to church with me, you can believe whatever you want but I would still like to share my religion with you"

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I actually don't think it's right that kids are forced to accept their parents' religious beliefs at all. I was forced to attend church my whole life. As long as I lived with my parents. I hated it. As a young person, I remember asking them pointed questions about religion and "heaven" and wondering of they knew how ridiculous they sounded. I went through phases of thrusting myself into it, hoping that it would catch on and I wouldn't feel so weird, but it never really "stuck".

I say if parents want to go to church, fine, but don't ever force the kids to go. I think kids are too young to really understand anyway. By the time the child is 7 or 8, if he doesn't want to go, or pretend to believe, he shouldn't have to.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Kids don't have the ability to make these decisions for themselves. It's a parents responsibility and obligation to God to make their children learn about Jesus and his teachings. When they move from the home they will be the captain of their ship but the parent still has the responsibility to guide them back to God.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Kinglizard, many teenagers already have adult-like thinking and can think and make decisions for themselves. I suppose you would feel differently if the parents were another religion though wouldn't you.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
Kinglizard, many teenagers already have adult-like thinking and can think and make decisions for themselves.

Many do and act on their own 'adult' like decisions. This is why we are seeing so many youth issues these days. If parrents would cradck the whip and take control of their 'little addults' we would be much better off.

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidianI suppose you would feel differently if the parents were another religion though wouldn't you.

You would be correct...I don't support the teaching of false doctrine.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It goes both ways. There are parents who don’t go to church thereby forcing their children to stay home and not go or find there own way. That’s if they are allowed to even do that. What about the parents who practice witchcraft, satanic rituals, Wicca stuff, we all came from evolution--which I still haven’t heard the monkey say, ‘someday I’m going to look just like you.” or teach the big bang theory. Which in all honesty they got that half right. God spoke and bang it happen.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

I am an ordained Gythja in the religious practice of Asatru (old Norse pantheon) ... and I have spent years upon years around wiccans/pagans.

Most are very open to their children choosing their own path, even if it means their children choose a different belief system. I am a prime example of that.

The tone of your post seemed almost derogatory towards the pagan/wiccan/left hand path traditions.. as if you think that we parents that practice those faiths would force our children when christians/muslims/jewish wouldnt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join