It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls Me White Folk

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
"That's just how white folks will do you," Obama writes.

Wow, am I hearing this right. He must be racist if he calls me white folk. This is a great article from 1995. It also talks about how Obama went to the Million Man March.

www.chicagoreader.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

Well if you're white then you are white ( folk ). Now if you're black then you're black ( folk ). What's so racists about that.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

agreeed.

I'd love to live in a world where we don't refer to physical appearence to descibe eachother. As we're all one race,all the same. But alas,we don't. And we're not likely to be anytime soon either.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

If I would walk up to a black man and tell him, How is the black folk doing? I would be branded a racist on the spot.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I sure am glad I'm peach colored. I would hate to be at the end of a racist slur.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Is "white people" then okay? Or Caucasians?

Why should this even be an issue?

link   
god,them peachies,they get everywhere

go back to your own tree

I'm a honkey,and i'm proud

link   

Originally posted by eric52081
"That's just how white folks will do you," Obama writes.

Wow, am I hearing this right. He must be racist if he calls me white folk. This is a great article from 1995. It also talks about how Obama went to the Million Man March.

www.chicagoreader.com...

ummm...white folk?...million man march?...so what? please adjust your medication, you have so many more obama-bashing threads to post, and i don't want you to tire out too early.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by jimmyx]

link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
reply to post by eric52081

Well if you're white then you are white ( folk ). Now if you're black then you're black ( folk ). What's so racists about that.

It's racist because it's stereotyping a behavior, linking it to an entire race of people, based on the color of their skin.

Seriously, you really can't see that?

That's just how Chinese people are...
That's just how Irish people are...
That's just how Italians are...
etc., etc., etc.

This leads to the slippery slope of statements like...

"That's just how Jews are... we better round them up..."
"That's just how blacks are... we better not let them vote..."

Get the idea?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Why do you have to start another thread about this?

There are already a half of a dozen threads that cover this subject.

We are getting tired of this.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
And besides.. The people who rared him. His FAMILY, his blood relatives are "white folk".

This thread is totally ridiculous, and is nothing more than another attempt at political baiting.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This thread is from an article from 1995 that is a really good read. Alot of people should read this article and form their own opinions. Whether you are for Obama or not you should read this. This is a totally different subject than the other threads. So why post off topic in the other threads?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Why do you have to start another thread about this?

There are already a half of a dozen threads that cover this subject.

We are getting tired of this.

Just don't read the posts, or maybe add something to the discussion. Why do you think the OP would care if you're getting tired of anything?

What I'm getting tired of is ATS members trying to bully people into what they should be posting about.

Back on topic, do you think it's acceptable for major political candidates to stereotype people based on their skin color?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
And besides.. The people who rared him. His FAMILY, his blood relatives are "white folk".

This thread is totally ridiculous, and is nothing more than another attempt at political baiting.

exactly just another way for someone to start a long list of arguments to get flagged and starred on the boards.

They have black entertainment, BET, Black comedy i dont understand whats so bad about it. Black people call themselves brown, they call asians yellow. I don't have a problem with this.

Stop trying to create an issue out of it. I could say a whole lot more but i'm going to keep my mouth shut since i don't want this dragging on.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Back on topic, do you think it's acceptable for major political candidates to stereotype people based on their skin color?

No.

Nor is it acceptable for people to sterotype major political candidates and their possible supporters because of their skin colour.

And if that makes him racist - whats the motivation behind this thread?

"I'm just raising the issue" ??

Well theres a reason you are. And its nothing to do with the mans political policies, is it?

[edit on 11/0608/08 by neformore]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Just don't read the posts, or maybe add something to the discussion. Why do you think the OP would care if you're getting tired of anything?

What I'm getting tired of is ATS members trying to bully people into what they should be posting about.

I can't imagine there could possibly be anything to add to this discussion when it has been covered so many times.

All you have to do is use the search function.

ATS Search: Obama white folk

Tell me this could not be added to an existing discussion.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Obama's book is filled with racial overtones. He even states that he has to choose a side. This man truly scares me.

This is from "Audacity of Hope"; "There were enough of us on campus to constitute a tribe, and when it came to hanging out many of us chose to function like a tribe, staying close together, traveling in packs," he wrote. "It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I understand how this is marginally different from some of the other threads about Senator Obama, however I don't see how it matters.

If we are going to perform a linguistic autopsy on virtually everyone's words and THEN decide what they mean..... is this (a) worthy of our time and (b) worthy at all? I don't care if Senator Obama, his supporters or anyone else refers to caucasians as "white folk". I think the term "folk" is kind of homey, kind of quaint.

I don't support Senator Obama for his bid to POTUS, and there have been more than a few things surrounding his campaign that have raised the hairs on the back of my neck, but this surely isn't one of them.

I understand what you mean about the painting ALL of "white folk" with the same brush, but seeing the phrase in context, I don't think that was his intent.

See, a lot of this stuff is political spin control. All sides do it. Somebody comes up with a chink in the armor, drives a wedge in to hold their position, all the while looking for metaphorical hammers to really drive the wedge in, and if a political person is smart, they'll just try to spin it in another direction. It's when they choose to try to cover up some stupid thing that they get into trouble, because the coverup is almost always more foreboding than the original event. I think Senator Obama has been smart in this sense, in that he spins things away from him that are uncomfortable, and leaves other things unaddressed.

Senator McCain has made verbal slips. Senator Clinton, ditto. Senator Obama, yep. It happens. It's not an "AH-HAAA!" moment, it's just human. I wish we could focus on the real and important issues, but it doesn't seem like the politicians themselves wish to do this. We, as humans, just can't seem to keep from rising to the bait, can we?

[edit to correct "sense". Dang, I KNEW that didn't look right]

[edit on 11-6-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Maybe it would be interesting if we could post ATS-like questions to our politicians.

1) Ma'am/Sir do you believe in Nibiru/PLanet X, and if so, why and if not why not?

2) Sir/Ma'am do you believe that extraterrestrial lifeforms are here on our planet?

3) Ma'am/Sir....... is there any truth whatsoever to the rumor that you're a reptoid?

4) Sir/Ma'am..... Will you suppose absolute disclosure of goverment/military documents and other evidence, including forensic evidence of EBEs?

ha. That'll be the day.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

When Obama moved back to his grandparents' home in Hawaii, to attend the prestigious Punahou School, he encountered race and class prejudice that would darken his politics even more. At first embarrassed by his race and African name, he soon bonded with the few other African-American students. He quickly learned that integration was a one-way street, with blacks expected to assimilate into a white world that never gave ground. He participated in bitter bull sessions with his buddies on the theme of "how white folks will do you." Obama, who had to reconcile these sentiments with the loving support he had at home from his white mother and grandparents, dismissed much of his buddies' analysis as "the same sloppy thinking" used by racist whites, but he found the racism of whites to be particularly stubborn and obnoxious.

Obama objected when his Punahou basketball coach upbraided the team for losing to "a bunch of 'n-word's." Obama writes that the coach "calmly explained the apparently obvious fact that 'there are black people, and there are 'n-word's. Those guys were 'n-word's.'"

"That's just how white folks will do you," Obama writes. "It wasn't merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn't know they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn."

CONTEXT, people...

God, is it so hard to actually read the whole damn thing? Must we pick the one sentence that suits our agenda and discard the rest?

Judging by what I've seen in my (albeit short) life, the citizens of this could-be-great-some-day country are unfit to elect their own leaders.

We're better off with a lottery system than this haphazard mob-rule masquerading as democracy.

A democracy without educated, thinking voters is just dangerous...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join