It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some advice about property

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

We are on a county road. There are other homes along the road. Most are large land tracts. I think the smallest is around 17 acres. We will have one road into the property. All the 10 acre tracts will be off of this road together. Up in the trees. I like the mound idea for up around the homes. My family has three dogs right now. With everyone else we should have around 7 dogs. We will be getting some more that will be raised outside. Thanks for the ideas

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by telemetry

Yea, we feel pretty lucky to have the opportunity. Like I said earlier, we were planning on a much smaller acreage that we purchased 2 years ago but this opportunity came up and we didn't want to pass it up. I guess that is where some of my questions have come from. I never planned on something this large.

We are planning on building homes that will be full time residences. The only existing structure is the foundation of an old train station that burned down back in the early 1900's. We will definately be building up in trees. I think the elevated position would come in handy. We can see about 60% of the property from where our home will be. Not all at once, we would have to move around but I bet out of the 5 families we would have about 80% or so visual on the rest of the property.

Thanks again for the well wishes. We are very excited to get started.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bgaty

I would agree that if the SHTF, we might not be able to defend the entire place. That would be our ultimate goal, obviously. Defending the homesteads would be the most important, along with wells and our electric generating equipment. But I also think that the shear amount of land can swing the odds in our favor if we do this right.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

I agree with what some previous posters said about fencing not being a deterrent to anyone that is really wanting on your property. Other than your families of course, what you need to defend is livestock, water and the wind turbine so I would more concentrate on that. Run a fence worthy of keeping your livestock in but no more, don't worry about 600+ acres of fence/barrier to stop a person it will take too much time and money. Lock your water down with concrete and steel, fence/wall in your power plant and keep an eye on the livestock with camera's or by physically going out to check on them. I personally would locate the homes fairly close to each other, putting the wind turbine in between them so there is less wiring and someone nearby. Best defense is lock down what is important rather than the whole spread.

A bunker would be a great idea, 2 would be even better. I would put one bunker around the homesteads, maybe even right next to the wind turbine, the other maybe somewhere between your house and the back side of your property for a place to go to if you need it while out dealing with livestock or gathering water. Bunkers of course should be equipped with food, water ammunition etc. as well as a way to contact the other bunker/houses. This can be accomplished fairly cheap and easy by using handheld CB units and a small hidden external antenna (in a stump or similar) and lithium ion AA's that have a 10 year shelf life.

Dogs are another must have. They will help with livestock but more importantly they will let you know well in advance if someone or something that doesn't belong is sneaking around. A German Shepherd is critical thinking and VERY protective of it's family, it will die protecting them. Contrarily to popular thinking an American Rott is a good dog too when properly trained. It won't think it through like a Shepherd will it solves problems with swift application of force. I've seen a Rott hit a deer at full bore run and break the deer's back dropping it dead.

The mention of motion detection I also agree is a good idea, but I wouldn't do camera's opting instead for tripline flares, or the firecracker variety. You don't need to be in front of a monitor to know that sucker has been tripped. Of course you would want to place them on obvious entrances to the property, and will occasionally have a false alarm due to an animal but they work without any power and without anyone needing to be at the monitors.

As time and money permits camera's around the actual houses and maybe water and power sources too would be great too.

I dunno if I missed anything or left anything out, but I hope something in this will be of some help to you

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Cannonball Hermit]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SHADOW WALKER

We did look into bale construction. I think we have narrowed it down to Structural insulated panels or the steel insulated panels for the homes. I do have firearms but am not experienced with making my own ammunition with reloads, etc...I think that is a good idea to look into. Something I did not think of. I have always wanted to get my radio license but just haven't done it. I have always owned several scanners though.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
That sounds like the area where I deer hunt every fall.

One of the popular trends in ranch management is "deer fencing" This is much higher than 5 strand "bob war" and is a large grid or mesh that deer cannot climb through or leap over.

It's presence is a matter of debate, because it keeps deer from migrating onto the neighbors land. On the other hand, it keeps deer off of the highway, and so fewer motorists killed by hitting a deer in the dark.

The reason I bring it up is that the stuff is hard for humans to climb, and it's presence is ubiquitous in central texas, and wont set off alarm-bells in peoples head.

If they think you are running a game ranch, nobody will question massive gates with coded access either; or alternative set-ups that aren't really geared to cattle ranching for cash.

People you invite there won't be questioned because it will be assumed they are hunting on your preserve. They'll probably be welcomed down at the coffee shop as potential spenders in town . . . .

If you are looking at refencing the whole section, my heart goes out to you. Nothing sucks like building fence. Unless its tearing down old fence in heavy brush, where the wire is so old it snaps when you try to pull it out with a backhoe.

All the best.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
For one, If I were you, I'd never admit on a government monitored message board any type of survival plan you have relating to land.

For two, that amount of land is unnecessary especially if the world ever ends up bad because you cannot stop desperate people from going through your land.

For three, If I were you, I would never co-own any type of land with anyone to share for the simple fact of you not ever going to know how they act under stress (provided that you haven't seen them in a very bad situation). Personally it's a lot better to go into the woods in secrecy and not make yourself known. Your best friend could go crazy in the heat of battle for example and shoot everyone, it happens, you never know.

For four, I would construct your survival shelter in a very inaccessible location or very unattractive one that is well hidden.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by camain

I guess, depending on the situation we were facing, we would not have enough people to pull off a defence of the entire property. We will have in the 10 to 20 range, including children. I do like some of your ideas...Thank you.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

We have thought about the game fencing. Still an option. It wouldn't be out of place here in texas, thats for sure.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cannonball Hermit

as well as a way to contact the other bunker/houses. This can be accomplished fairly cheap and easy by using handheld CB units and a small hidden external antenna (in a stump or similar) and lithium ion AA's that have a 10 year shelf life.

That is a really good idea. I will be employing this idea into the bunkers.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If you are asking for opinions I would keep the old fence... if you are trying to be invisible as it were, don't do anything that would draw attention to yourselves... replacing the fence as needed is one thing, putting up a whole new one is something else all together.

Being invisible in plain sight is a much classier (and safer) act than trying to hide.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Masisoar

For one, If I were you, I'd never admit on a government monitored message board any type of survival plan you have relating to land.

I do appreciate the sentiment, but I am not worried. I would never give out my actual plans or locations. Like I said, we are all above board in all we do. We are more planning for anything in the future that might happen. There are many things that could happen that would send us into a survival situation. Confrontation with the law is but one possibility. One which I think is very slim at this time. I do not fear the authorities and for the most part, welcome their presence around our communities. I am even thinking of becoming a LEO myself.
Now, if we are thrown into some type of martial law situation, we would deal with it the best we could to keep our persons and property secure.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I do agree with you here. However, I believe the previous owners were going to replace the existing fence with something new and we will be running a semi-commercial cattle business. We aren't really trying to be invisible, at least not right now. Everyone in the area knows we have purchased the property and we will all be living on it. So no secrets there. I guess I am more looking for ideas that I can implement now, that should the SHTF will be sufficient for protection, while not making it look like we are some weirdos setting up another yfz type ranch (which we are not). Hope that makes sense.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

Go completely off grid... you have natural springs... use them for your water supply and set up a septic system... go solar... install wind mills and if you can make a dammed pond with a water wheel and install generators... If you can make enough electricity to sell back to the power company and use the money to pay your taxes and insurance... green houses... those quanshut style ones are great... grow your crops underneath them to keep pests out and increase growing season.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hello,

If you cache anything I would like to suggest scattering some old car parts under the soil in a random pattern to reduce the discovery by metal detectors. And if you use a plastic case, I would use some metal car parts buried as if attached to the case in order to break up the outline in the rare event that ground radar was used. I know this sounds extremely paranoid but I was sort of fantasying. Also, regarding bunkers, you can buy old 48 ft trucking trailers and bury them with heavy equipment pretty cheap.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

We will be using wells and rainwater collection for our water needs. We will also be using a wind generator for our power needs. We have figured at around $50,000 profit for selling the extra to the electric company. We are going through the contract with them now. We are going to be growing an organic garden for our personal use and for some extra cash. Hadn't really thought about a greenhouse. I will look into that.

Thanks...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
In the type of terrain the OP describes, I honestly don't think trespass will be an issue. I expect the population density there is less than 10 persons per square mile; probably below 5.

Most criminality will be focused on buildings visible from a paved road. It is very rare indeed to have people try to squat and grow things on your land--that sounds too much like work. No, they'll be looking for unprotected buildings to raid. Dogs will take care of 90% of that.

In rural Texas, most owners have a homestead surrounded by outbuildings for equipment storage, plus barns and pens nearby. So as long as you cluster your buildings together, no one will ever be interested in what is in them. The usual policy is for the county appraiser to inspect initial building plans, but nothing further unless you tell them.

Also, converting buildings makes their current usage ambiguous. I don't know if you've had the experience of driving on to someone's place and wondering which is the house and which is the barn--it happens on old farmsteads where the buildings aren't torn down or replaced, but merely rehabilitated.

I have suggested in other threads using a double perimeter: Chain-link fence a little higher than waist height, at the very edge of what you want to mow and let the dogs and kids play in. closer in by the house, you build a 6 foot "ornamental" cinderblock wall that fences in the front or side yards. This is a common sight in rural texas--it cuts the wind.

The upshot of this fencing layout is that anyone climbing the chain-link fence is readily visible as a trespasser, and vulnerable to dogs. The cinderblock fence can conceal anything at all, from gardens to equipment to prepared firing positions.

I know two people with two heating systems: the second one is propane, which doesn't require electricity. It doesn't raise an eyebrow in rural areas, because a winter storm can knock down power lines for a week or more.

I think Herman started a thread about building a survival home. I posted there with some other ideas. Like using a pier-and-beam floor, wihch gives a crawlspace, and raises the ground floor of the home so that all windows are 5 feet above the exterior ground, making intrusion more difficult.

Have a look at that thread for some good ideas . . .

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Hi,

I accidentally replied under anonymous. I apologize in advance.
if this posts twice.

Hello,

If you cache anything I would like to suggest scattering some old car parts under the soil in a random pattern to reduce the discovery by metal detectors. And if you use a plastic case, I would use some metal car parts buried as if attached to the case in order to break up the outline in the rare event that ground radar was used. I know this sounds extremely paranoid but I was sort of fantasying. Also, 48ft used shipping containers can be purchased for about 1,500 and placed in the ground pretty cheaply.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

Get lots of Dogs. They can always alert you of intruders.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blobsquatch

If you cache anything I would like to suggest scattering some old car parts under the soil in a random pattern to reduce the discovery by metal detectors.

I prefer plumbing or irrigation pipe. It's long and skinny, like the metal barrel of a gun. A pipeyard is the perfect place to cache firearms . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join