It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some advice about property

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I have been reading the survival forum here for about a year. In fact, This forum is what brought me to ATS in the first place. This will be my first topic and I need some advice.

My family and I recently purchased 650 acres in Central Texas. We will be sharing this land with 4 other families. We will each own 10 acres outright and will co-own the remaining 600 acres.

Some info on the land:

250 or so acres are pasture: hay and oats
Year round creek bisects the land
32 natural springs
There is about 400' of elevation gain from creek to the back of the property
Heavily wooded accept for the pasture land
8 existing wells on the land

We will be putting up a wind generator for our electrical needs. The one we are installing should power up to 50 homes.
We will also be running cattle and growing an organic garden for personal use as well as extra cash.

My questions for the forum:

1. The property is fenced with an old 4 strand barbed wire fence and is pretty old. We will be re-fencing the entire property. We want to be able to secure the property as well as ourselves should the SHTF, however, we don't want to draw attention to ourselves from the authorities or evil doers. there will be NOTHING illegal taking place here but I think this forum will understand our desire to protect while flying under the radar. Having said all of that, what type of fencing would you all recommend?

2. Any other suggestions or ideas you all might have for us?

We bought this land with the idea of having a safe haven when/if the SHTF.

Thanks to all for reading and I will look forward to your replies...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

Are you taking aplicants for co-inhabitants?

Honestly, it will not be easy to fence off 650 acres effectively. Even if you put up razor wire, you would never know if someone just cuts it and sneaks in unless you have patrols. I would suggest just using your wind generators to power a mean electric fence. Still realizing that if someone wants in, they will get in.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Thanks for the reply. Thats kinda what I was getting at. It is a lot of land! Electric might be an option. I don't know what the upkeep is on that. Seems like it would be a lot though. We do have about 25 horses that we will be using to make patrols if things come to that. Obviously, we would rather not spend the time but would probably be necessary if the SHTF.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I've got to agree. That large of an area would be hard to cover. The electric fence is a good idea, and if you put in a few dead-man circuits attached to alarms, you can get at least a little bit more security by being alerted when the fence has been cut. If you do it right, it can even tell you what general area it was cut in.

I'd also recommend trained guard animals. Besides dogs, there are several other animals that can be trained for this, including alpacas. The idea of guard alpacas amuses me. Who'd expect to be attacked by a little fuzzy llama?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
with all due respect...why would anybody here disclose on an open forum how they would hide, live, and survive. if you don't know by now, get ready to live in the government camps or find out by other means. loose lips sink ships is NOT an old phrase, but a true one.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

I don't think the upkeep on electric fences is all that much more than upkeeping a standard fence. You will already have free electricity, so I would definitely go that route. I grew up on a cattle ranch and we had vast ammounts of electric fencing to keep the cattle in. Usually it was only one strand, but it was a good deterrant against pesky kids. You could easily make it more effective.

I also like the idea of the deadman alarm to alert you of it being cut. Guard llama's...
I have been chased by a llama, they scream and spit... it can be intimidating.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychoHazard

Thats something I will have to look into. So there are things that will alert you to a break in the circuit? That could be beneficial. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The only way to detract 'natural' attention to your property, at least the main hub for your homes and such would be with plants such as a wild black berry or something with a lot of stickery barbs.

Of course you would want to consider not getting anything too invasive which could become a problem for you.

The other thing, if you are thinking in terms of human preditors, then set certain areas up before hand that can be safe for now but if sdoeshtf, you can go around and activate. Be sure and allow them to blend into the scenario.

It is wonderful that this opportunity has been granted you and the 4 other couples. Remember that the spiritual sense of your community will create a more positive world around you. Staying intune with your inner senses will far surpass any trap you may build.

A wild life refuge will keep the authorities at bay, and will encourage certain preditory animals to be an added bonus in a NWO scenario.

Just remain above board in all things, but be prepared to protect your water more than anything.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Jimmyx,

While I do agree with your reply ( I sat here and debated whether I should post this for a while) I really don't see any harm in it at this time. Like I said, we are not doing anything that would be of interest to any one unless the SHTF and we all are rounded up. I put that as a very low possibility at this time. I guess my questions were more for protecting against the evil doers Should something major happen. However, I do appreciate your input...thanks.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks Antar. Yes, we do feel very blessed at this opportunity. We have been looking and planning for a couple of years. We were not planning something this large but the opportunity kinda fell in our laps so we couldn't pass it up. I like your idea about the "safe area" for now and not so safe if the SHTF. We have seen quite a few coyote and other predator tracks. I don't know if that would be much of a deterrent to people though. We have never seen them.
I think you are right about protecting the water. There will be quite a lot of that. With all the springs and creeks. Not to worried at this time. Of course, I don't live out there yet as we have just purchased it this past month so I am sure that I will be more in tune with the land and possible weak points and so forth once we are there full time.

TO ALL:

Maybe I shouldn't have added in the "authorities" part in my OP. I guess my thinking was if we put up 10' tall fences with razor wire then that might raise some suspicion, you know, with all the "compound" stuff going on here in my home state. I really have no need to be worried about the sherriff's but I guess I meant the perception to them. If that makes sense...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I agree with Karlhungis 100% !!

Permanent high tensile electric fences use well-anchored wood posts to support steel wire under high tension. While more time-consuming to install than other electric fence systems, it is the most effective permanent perimeter fence and provides the highest level of security for keeping out or containing difficult or aggressive animals, such as bulls or predators. A well-built high tensile electric fence requires minimal maintenance and will last 20-plus years.

High tensile electrified fence advantages are:
• easier to handle than woven or barbed wire
• has no barbs to injure livestock
• minimum maintenance with long life of fence
• easily electrified
• requires fewer posts
• less expensive than other fence types

Click here to visit original site!

Hope this could helped you!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GUNSINWAR

Thanks GUNSINWAR!! That looks awesome! I will definately look into that. 20 years plus life...'preciate it....

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
You'll also want to look into burying some reserve water tanks. If the SHTF you never know if the groundwater will end up contaminated. You might also want to look into acquiring a few Slingshot water purifiers.

Here's a few additional links on the device:

Dean Kamen Water Purifier
Colbert and Kamen Solve the World's Water Problems
Slingshot water purifier and generator
Dean Kamen's Newest Slingshot

There's plenty more coverage on it floating around, but I think you'll get the general idea from these.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

Sounds like a nice setup. I am sitting on a much smaller tract of land but it is still much work. At least you should have help for your projects.

You might want to look into the groundwater conservation district, if there is one, for your area. Half or more of Texas counties, or groups of counties, have formed one. Shouldn't be a big problem if your wells are only for domestic needs. Is your land over the Edwards aquifer?

Electric fences are pretty good for cattle and horses but for small animals and people they really are not that secure.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I may be ignorant or something, but what would happen if these "evil doers" have helicopters that can land from above or drop some explosives from the sky on your property? The satellites can see everything.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Thanks for the links. I forgot to mention we will also be installing rainwater collection on the homes and barns. I will look into the slingshots though...Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

I have never heard of a groundwater conservation district. I will have to look into it. We are not over the edwards aquifer. I don't want to be any where near that thing. With all the restrictions etc...

Yea it will be alot of work. I own about 15 acres not to far from this place. That was my families original plan...To move onto the 15 acres. It is alot of work! Sometimes it seems like you never make any headway. Good luck with your place. Its a neat feeling when you get a piece of land all your own with no HOA or city restrictions. I just go out there sometimes after work and just sit and listen to the breeze in the trees and the small animals running through the brush. Makes me feel alive again.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ag2000
Thanks for the links. I forgot to mention we will also be installing rainwater collection on the homes and barns. I will look into the slingshots though...Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome. The slingshots are a very good system, and might even be handy for the rainwater if the rain is polluted. I'm looking into getting a few myself.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

That slingshot water purifier and generator sound really cool. Thats definately something I will keep an eye on...Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If anybody has any ideas please feel free to post. Doesn't have to be about the fence. I think with all the good ideas I might have that one figured out!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join