It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan blames U.S. coalition for deaths in 'cowardly' attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Pakistan blames U.S. coalition for deaths in 'cowardly' attack

www.cnn.com

SLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistan's army is blaming the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan for the deaths of at least 11 Pakistani soldiers killed after a confrontation near the country's border with Afghanistan.

A military statement condemned the "completely unprovoked and cowardly act" that killed 11 members of a Pakistani paramilitary force on Pakistani soil. It said the coalition's action "had hit at the very basis of cooperation and sacrifice with which Pakistani soldiers are supporting the coalition in war against terror."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Oh boy, this can't be good. Every morning I wake up wondering if today is the day the "keg" gets lit....

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The Taleban use Pakistan has a staging area for attacks against us so I will not lose any sleep if they got caught up in an attack against people they should be controlling themselves. They are either with us or against us. They are a powerful nation and they should claim their own land back from the terrorists. If they won’t then the necessities of war say we will. It’s Laos all over again.

Is Pakistan with us, or against us?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Infidel 101

And some people wonder why Americans are hated with an Attitude like this

All i can say is this is not good for the 2 countrys relations

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Infidel 101

I hate this whole "with us or against us" mentality. It's turned a lot of our allies away from us over the past few years. I really wonder how long it will be before we stand alone against the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infidel 101
The Taleban use Pakistan has a staging area for attacks against us so I will not lose any sleep if they got caught up in an attack against people they should be controlling themselves. They are either with us or against us. They are a powerful nation and they should claim their own land back from the terrorists. If they won’t then the necessities of war say we will. It’s Laos all over again.

So...if they were out at THEIR border, they must have had a reason (not to mention a right) to be there. Could it be that they were possibly trying to handle their business when they got shot up? Maybe if US forces actually recognized a sovreign nation's border and did not cross it whenever they felt like it, things like this wouldn't happen.

*edit to add: I am wondering what is the deal with Afganistan and Pakistan. Is some kind of bad blood there?

AS far as the "with us or against us" attitude. How long will it be before the people in the US that don't have that kind of attitude and the rest of the world that sees it like it is, get together and ask YOU that same question? What will you do then?

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Rook1545]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
**edit** Double post...sorry.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Rook1545]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infidel 101

Um, Pakistan is fighting the terrorists just like the US, so technically they are with you.

Problem is YOU JUST OPENED FIRE ON AN ALLY!

So the question isn't is Pakistan with or against the US...

Is the US with or against it's allies?

This isn't exactly new though, the US is notorious for attacking their allies. We Canadians have seen our fair share of soldiers come home in caskets because the US attacked our bases and camps.

So quit trying to turn this around on the Pakistanis.

This is a disgusting act, and the US owes Pakistan an apology.

[EDIT]
Also, under your logic, the US is failing to get the terrorists before they cross over to the Pakistani side... so the Pakistanis have full right to kill as many US soldiers as they need to, to get at the Terrorists before they cross their border.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by StephenF

here is the BIG question

should anyone be supprised?

if the Americans Can KILL british men and women in friendly fire in war zones
whats the chances that they are going to Kill other military personal from other allied countries?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

The Americans are killing your British troops as well eh?
We here in Canada know what that feels like.

What kind of ape training are they giving the US soldiers? I thought their military was supposed to be good? Or at least perhaps competent.

The two A-10 pilots who opened fire on the camp my friend was stationed at, actually requested authorization to open fire on the camp. When they were denied permission to attack the Canadian camp, they opened fire anyways. My friend almost died in that attack, many of the others weren't so lucky.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder if this is a coincedence

that Tuesday's airstrike targeted suspected militants who had fled into Pakistan after conducting an ambush on the Afghan side of the border.

From the same article

On Monday, U.S. think tank the Rand Corporation released a report that said some members of Pakistan's intelligence service and the Frontier Corps were helping insurgents in Afghanistan

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

might have something to do with the fact that most are Highscool dropouts
and from areas where they see no potteional of getting a decent job and taken into the armed forces being shown how good their prospects would be.

even their pilots are cowboys
www.liveleak.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Give it a rest; Pakistan doesn’t control that region either. If Pakistan is so strong then why are they not reigning in the flow of Taleban into Afghanistan? They can’t have it both ways. They stop the flow of fighters from there own territory, or they are the enemy. If they can’t do it we will and they should admit they can’t.

We are not dealing with small furry puppies here; they should be given every opportunity to fulfil their ultimate goal without innocents dying. So sorry If I missed the compassion bus.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

Perhaps it was indeed Pakistan's fault after all.

Fighting erupted Tuesday evening when Afghan troops tried to establish a check post near the village area of Sheikh Baba in the Mohmand tribal region, along the knife's-edge border between the two countries, according to villagers and Pakistani military officials.

Taliban militants apparently opened fire and were then joined by Pakistani military forces, setting off an hours-long battle. It is unclear what prompted the initial exchange of fire.

The skirmish at the edge of Pakistan's restive tribal areas expanded further when Afghan soldiers called NATO forces for air support, and U.S. military aircraft reportedly launched a strike in the area.

U.S. military jets dropped more than a dozen bombs inside and along the Pakistan border with Afghanistan during a clash that lasted several hours Tuesday, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

Two Air Force F-15E jets and a B-1B Lancer bomber dropped the bombs, which included both precision-guided and unguided munitions and weighed between 500 lbs. and 2,000 lbs., the officials said. The bombs, known as GBU-12, GBU-31 and GBU-38, were dropped in different locations covering an area of about 1,000 yards, according to the officials and a summary of the air munitions provided by the U.S. military's Combined Air and Space Operations Center for Southwest Asia.

The bombs were used "to destroy anti-coalition members in the open and in buildings in the vicinity of Asadabad," Afghanistan, a statement released by the center said. An air controller "reported the missions successful," it said.

U.S.-led NATO forces have launched several airstrikes inside Pakistan's tribal areas within the last year, including one in January that killed a top al-Qaeda operative, Abu Laith al-Libi. The remote, largely mountainous area along Pakistan's 1,400 mile border with Afghanistan is home to 3.2 million people and is largely ungoverned. NATO and U.S. officials have said they believe the area has become a safe haven and training ground for al-Qaeda fighters and a refuge for their leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri.

At least nine Pakistani Taliban fighters and one child were killed during the clash, according to Maulvi Omar, a spokesman for the Pakistani Taliban.

Omar said Taliban fighters captured seven Afghan soldiers during the operation.

"We have inflicted heavy damages," Omar said. The Taliban spokesman said Islamist insurgents fought "side by side" with Pakistani soldiers against the Afghan forces during the operation

Taliban and Pakistani soldiers fighting side by side. Who would have dunk it.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Indeed...perhaps I should question the Her Majesty's British Army's training when one crew of the Challenger tank fired on another killing two.
One of the best tanks in the world and still couldn't distinguish between a Challenger 2 and a T-55 tank.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
The Americans are killing your British troops as well eh?

We Americans have been known to kill our own troops too. Friendly fire seems to be a favorite hobby with some of our troops.

Originally posted by johnsky
What kind of ape training are they giving the US soldiers? I thought their military was supposed to be good? Or at least perhaps competent.

Just because we've got the biggest bombs and the best weapons doesn't mean we actually know how to use them. Some of our weapons technology is advancing so fast that there aren't even instruction manuals ready for the stuff before it hits the field. It amazes me how we can't manage to build a car that gets better than 40mpg, but we can design, build, and deploy the biggest non-nuclear bomb in the world. Ain't the US of A grand?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
www.liveleak.com...

Heres a video released today by the U.S. military fighting on the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. As you can see the enemy engages the coalition forces. The enemy is on the mountain in the center of the screen. Coalition forces are off screen.

top topics

join