It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joining the Military to gain "Inside Info"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I applaude your consideration of military service, especially in a day and age where controversy surrounds individuals joining the military.

But please keep in mind, military service rarely, if ever, opens you up to the classified information you may be seeking. Most military service is grunt work - foot soldiers, desk jobs, supply lines, etc... While it is easy to say, "I'll just join the special forces," those programs are designed to find the best of the best. While you may be selected for special forces training, very few survive the actual training, I believe about 10%. And even then, you will just be a special forces soldier and your knowledge will be limited to your immediate duties.

I will not dissuade you from joining, but need to say that access to the information you may be seeking is not as easy as you may think. If this is the reason you want to join, you will be sadly disappointed. Join because you have a true desire to serve the military.

To get clearances - earn the respect of your commanding officers, rise above others around you, achieve promotions, be aggressive with your determinations by treating your service as a career, be well educated and prove yourself reliable time and time again. High level clearances will be given to those who earn it, are highly trusted and know the right people. An enlisted soldier will have a rougher time achieving those goals than an individual trained in officer training academies/schools (like West Point in the US).

McMartinson

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soldier Of Darkness

I too had the same thought in mind as you. I'm young I want to get inside knowledge etc. but there is a lot more to it than you might think.

If you want in the quickest way possible, go to college get a degree then join the military (you'll start off at a lot higher rank), or skip college and work your way up. Aim on working toward an intelligence agency. Theres a black SS, I will not mention, that if you're a part of while in the military, it might help you get you your foot in the door to where you want to go.

Just consider a few possibilities if you do make it there. You are property of the government. You are subject to laws, rules, and regulations that are outside any legal system. You will be continually subject to polygraph and psychological tests whenever you go on leave and return. Depending on your ranking you may never be able to contact any outsiders. etc.

The list goes on, but its just something you have to accept and be willing to do. Good luck, it'll be rough but worth it.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I would not even bother with the military.

There are far more opportunities in the civilian sector to acquire the info you are looking for. Of course it will not be handed to you. You will have to extract it yourself.

That is all I will say.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Good job, you pretty much just voided your oppurtunity of ever gaining any classified knowledge considering the intelligence agencys do EXTENSIVE backgeound checks and will find this post lmao.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'll copy and paste what I said on my Intro...

"I’m 19 and a fulltime college student working on degree in Computer Science (B.S.) and a Minor in math I’m also currently in the U.S.N.R. as an “M.A.” my hopes after directly after college are simple; become a commissioned Naval officer as a Cryptologist (Information Warfare) or join the Intelligence community : ). My areas of interest are Technology, Politics, Military, and Extraterrestrials (I’d like to find out someday in the Navy whether they have indeed have contact with the military : ) )"

Would I ever "leak" information? NO

Would I betray my country? NO

If I ever did find out whether aliens existed or not or who really shot J.F.K...believe me I would never..never...come near this site and post it up on the net, what would be the point? I've satisfied my curiosity why would I care about your curiosity or anyone else for that matter... ( Sorry if I come off being like an arse.) What you would be doing is flat out wrong....

Best Regards,
Rick

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenskeptical

LOL, is that right?

How many people do you know who have TS clearances?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I know a lot of military guys and they say that you would want to first try to get into intelligence area of the military to move onto more higher security clearances. I knew someone who worked in intel, his whole family from his great grandfather down they started in intel stayed in for 6yrs and then went onto the CIA. I know you dont want to that but you have to have a higher IQ and it helps to speak other languages.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Curiosity about secret projects is not enough motivation to get you through the selection and qualification phases of any kind of special operations. If you did make it through it would be for deeper reasons, and by that point you would probably be someone you don't recognize now.

The military is an honorable profession, don't believe everything you see on here which is mostly from people who have never worn a uniform.

Most of military service is more boring than anything, and nowhere near any secret project of any real interest.

98% of soldiers never even get to kill anyone.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokingmonkey
Curiosity about secret projects is not enough motivation to get you through the selection and qualification phases of any kind of special operations. If you did make it through it would be for deeper reasons, and by that point you would probably be someone you don't recognize now.

The military is an honorable profession, don't believe everything you see on here which is mostly from people who have never worn a uniform.

Most of military service is more boring than anything, and nowhere near any secret project of any real interest.

98% of soldiers never even get to kill anyone.

SO TRUE!!!!!!! Sadly...on one of my drill days for the Reserves I experienced tha "Actual" Navy....we were watching a bootleg movie in the security booth when we were suppose to be watching the gates ... lol...

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
There are MANY MANY jobs within the Air Force that have NOTHING to do with jets and many people in the Air Force never deploy or step foot on a military aircraft.

Good Lord.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

I'm sorry, it appears that there are certain members on these forums who have taken to judging me to be a moron.

This is almost as bad as being berated over not knowing anything about 'hacking', without any real reason.

So then, shall we get into the technicalities?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
All you will learn is the food sucks, the pay is low, the middle east is hotter than hell and arabs use their floor as a toilet. other than that watch out for the clap, scorpions in your bag and Lts that know jack.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Good for you wanting to join!
But be careful for what you wish for, for it may not be what you want!
I know what I speak of and you may rue the the day that you found out!

The main thing here is to have some sort of education and also
being able to think out side of the box, to do what your saying that you
want to do.

1. Find out which of the branches of your armed forces investigates
what you wish to know.

2. Are there any job openings in that branch?
If there are openings then are you qualified for any of them?

3. If you are qualified then enlist for that job, do not worry about
doing the job the military will teach it to you.

4. Be a squared away trooper, you will know what I mean once
your in boot camp.

5. Volunteering for Special Operations (SO) will not hurt even if you fail.
There are also supporting units for SO that do not have to go through
all of their training only part of it.

6. Be patient and stand out! It may take years to get to where you
want to be.

GOOD LUCK

Formally
WO2 Wing-Nut
ASCSAR Team 5
US ARMY

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
If your father or mother is not in a position to have 'inside info' you will not be either. You may be privy to certain things that are wrong, illegal and reported incorrectly to the public, BUT..

1. Most people will not believe you.

2. Most people will not believe you.

3. Most people will not believe you.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Soldier Of Darkness
I am also pro NWO, and willing to take orders without any question

That's why the world is in the state that it is today...

How I wish people would question and refuse orders more often.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

More often?

It should happen Every Time.

All too often in our history we've been blindsided by a problem because we thought we were perfectly capable at dealing with it, when in reality no one wanted to mention anything because they were afraid of being singled out.

Fear can work it's way into any man's heart, especially those who deny this.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ok, even if whatever agency the OP's applying to does a background check and sees a thread with him saying he wants inside information, wouldn't they continue reading and see the part where he says he'll never divulge anything? Honestly, I'd say that'd only work to his advantage. They'd clearly see that he has a keen interest in these kinds of things and hasn't expressed any willingness to "show it to the world". Prime candidate, no?
In terms of getting to that position, however, I really don't have much of a clue. I personally dislike pretty much anything to do with war and the military industrial complex, but only because of the ones that're pulling the strings. I have a lot of respect for people that are in the military with good intentions. In any case, I'll stick to the OP's topic and make a quasi-educated guess: I'd say the Air Force is your best bet. I have no idea how frequently you'll be able to fly but hey, every time you're at least ON an airplane, make sure to shotgun a window seat. Who knows, maybe you'll spot a fleet of UFO's! Just my two cents... =)
Whatever it is you do, I'd say stay away from the Infantry. Not only are you over-medicated with who-knows-what (a fact I wasn't overly aware of until reading this thread) but you run the risk of getting sent to Iraq or [equivalent]. I'm under the impression the only inside information you'd get there would either be on depleted uranium, torture techniques, or what it's like doing absolutely nothing in a desert for months on end... Sounds real exciting...
Anyway, good luck with whatever path you decide to take! If you want it bad enough, I'm sure you'll get there! =)

Word

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I have been in the military for 11 years. Most of the jobs aside from infantry are support: maintenance, supply, security, etc. They recruit from the inside for black ops jobs. The security clearance required is very rigid and they will interview everyone from your past. Any little mistake and they will deny it. Don't think they can't get into sealed or "purged" records because they can. I had a secret and worked on test stations for jets. Trust me they would weed you out easily.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by oaf21

You give the military too much credit, they would not link him to this thread, there is too much info out there for a routine background check to dig up every posting. Security checks are backlogged for months in the U.S. military, they only have time to dig but so deep. Unless you bring in your computer and throw it in their lap they'll never know about you posting here.

As far as the non-factual info out there that I was talking about, infantry being over-medicated is an example. I was in the infantry in Iraq, and was not medicated beyond vaccines (Yeah I know, but they weren't anything behavior changing.) Food was the same for everyone. The 3rd world, civilian contracted, food service personnel did not appear to be slipping anything extra into the meals of the infantry looking guys, at least not that I ever noticed. So unless someone was sneaking into my chu, past my loaded glock, and slipping me something while I slept (day or night) never had a regular sleep schedule, then I have to contest the accuracy of that.

What else...Oh yeah, unless you're a pilot, most military aircraft are short on window views.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

You're still young... then that's a good reason to not WASTE your youth in this terrible unhuman machine called the "military". And if you wanna get a high security clearance, getting to fight into the special ops or whatever won't get you there... all you might get is a good salary and most probably to lose what's left of humanity in you raping and killing innocent civilians , and that includes your devotion to the truth and justice. Remember kid, THIS IS NOT SOME VIDEO GAME... this is life, and you can go through horrible pains just for nothing.

Getting into the upper echelons would be the way to go, and especially in a scientific field of research, or into intelligence operations, but prepare to do a lot of post-graduate studies...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Thanks for all the info so far...the positive and the negative...

Let me break it down to some of you..

I have always wanted to join the military, i think it's one of the best things to do out there, I can't stand sitting behind a desk all day long..

I want something out of the ordinary, I want to shoot big guns, blow things up etc etc..you get the point there, i'm also after the training you receive in hand to hand combat and survival tactics, and i think the discipline you learn is great.

There's no way they can trace this thread back to me, and i'll say again, not my internet account, not registered to me in any way, etc etc, so i honestly don't think they will link this back to me.

I am not sure what career in the military I will choose in the end, but i'll take some of the advice you guys gave me and look into it much further.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join