It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Jury 'Zaps' Taser: $6 Million For Wrongful Death!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

First Jury 'Zaps' Taser: $6 Million For Wrongful Death!

blog.wired.com

Like them or despise them, one thing has been consistent about stun gun-maker Taser International: They never, ever lose in court. 45 wrongful death or injury lawsuits had swung the company's way, as of early last year. About a month ago, Taser even got a judge to reverse three Ohio autopsies that had partially faulted the electroshock weapons.

But that all changed on Friday, when a federal jury in San Jose found the company responsible for the death of 40-year-old Robert Heston Jr., awarding his family more than $6 million in damages. "An attorney for the family called the verdict a 'landmark decision,' and indicated that it was the first time Taser International had been held responsible for a death or injury linked to its product," the Monetrey County Herald reports.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Good! This Tasing crap has been out of control for some time now. We just had two dudes in a "Taser duel" over a parking dispute not long ago! And cops have been lighting up folks left and right-Every other week we're seeing some horror story. Hopefully this puts a little damper on all these taze-happy people out there, including the company pimping these weapons out like hotcakes as being so safe...I found the below paragraph to be somewhat bewildering:

The six-person jury found that Arizona-based stun-gun manufacturer Taser International should have more effectively warned police that Taser shocks were potentially dangerous. Salinas police testified during the trial that they were not warned that the shocks could be dangerous.

LOL! You're administering ELECTRIC SHOCK to the person you're targeting...You need to be WARNED that MIGHT be dangerous?!?

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Finally they are held responsible. I was just waiting for the day when this would happen. Now, onto the individual departments, I think they should hold some responsibility also.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
About time too.

I am all for less than lethal weapons, but after seeing the fact that they are willing to use tasers on pregnant women and children I really think their attitudes need adjusting to these highly dangerous taser weapons.

6 Million will make an aweful dent in their funds and will hopefully mark the start of a change in thoughts to the deployment of these disgraceful Officers who seem to think its a damned toy.

MBF

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It's about time. The police don't always know if a person may have a medical problem that would give them a death sentence just by being tased for some insignificant reason. A man in my area died from being tased.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This is very good news, I hope they lose more cases. Tasers are much more dangerous than we have been led to believe.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Wow! Thank Goodness for California!

So many people claim that Tasers *save lives*, which is probably true only if they are used in situations where a firearm would have been pulled instead. The fact that they pull a taser anytime they feel the desire for immediate control is amazing. The fact that the Police testified that they weren't warned that the tasers could be dangerous doesn't amaze me. You can't be too bright and be Police. They won't hire you if you test too highly, as you will be more unlikely to follow orders.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

The police don't always know if a person may have a medical problem that would give them a death sentence just by being tased for some insignificant reason

Maybe not, but they can be damn sure its a death sentence if bullets are the only option.

I say, keep the tazers. I'd rather have a 50-50 shot at survival than no chance at all.

CT

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
reply to post by MBF

The police don't always know if a person may have a medical problem that would give them a death sentence just by being tased for some insignificant reason

Maybe not, but they can be damn sure its a death sentence if bullets are the only option.

I say, keep the tazers. I'd rather have a 50-50 shot at survival than no chance at all.

CT

I say Keep them, and use them ONLY when you would normally use a gun.

Other than that, is simple abuse.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
The fact that they pull a taser anytime they feel the desire for immediate control is amazing. The fact that the Police testified that they weren't warned that the tasers could be dangerous doesn't amaze me.

I think this two sentences hit the nail in the head.

The fact is that when tazers were intoduced they were label non-lethal waepons, after a couple of fatalities they label them less-than lethal, now is just a crapshoot.

It all come down to this, if a cop has a 50-50 chance of causing death to a person that he can not or dont want to put under control by other means than using a tazer, then that cop is serving in the capacity of law enforcement, prosecutor, judge and jury and can easily sentence you to a death sentence for what? been high...a DUI... someone who has an unknown medical condition... let cops be cops and the courts decide the fate of those accused if not we have a police state no different than those of the countries that we condemned on a daily basis, specially on this boards.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I agree, just because they are safer than guns does not by any stretch of the imagination mean they are safe and should be covered by similar legislation.

If you want non lethal get pepper spray, afaik nobody has cried themself to death yet.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

6 Million will make an aweful dent in their funds and will hopefully mark the start of a change in thoughts to the deployment of these disgraceful Officers who seem to think its a damned toy.

Unfortunately 6 million isn't much of a dent at all.

www.manta.com...

Est. Annual Sales:$67,717,851

The hope is that this will open the door to their liability in every taser death, and therefore either create a less lethal version, or take a more active hand in their use.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
If you want non lethal get pepper spray, afaik nobody has cried themself to death yet.

You sure about that?
www.nzherald.co.nz...

A man who died during an arrest in South Auckland yesterday is at least the fourth person with mental problems to be fatally pepper-sprayed in the past nine years.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

That's actually a pretty BIG dent. $67 million is their total sales for '06, not profit. They made $15 Million in '07, but this after losing a total of about $3M the previous two years combined.

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is why some lawyers and judges HATE the jury system. They lose control of the outcome if the jurors are bright enough to exercise their power to determine what is the right thing to do.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Vor, I stand corrected.

I still think the precedent set by this case is huge and in the end beneficial to those who would be shot while pregnant, a child or wearing a pacemaker.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
6 Million will make an aweful dent in their funds

Your kidding right? they could sneeze 6 million and not even bother to clean it up - the negative publicity will be a bit of a kick in the privates, but time will dictate the severity of the kick, personally I think they will schmooze through.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

No one sneezes 6 million. Remember it is a measurement of growth qtr over qtr and year over year that dictates financial health. They would have to make up 6 mill then add to it to show positive growth.

I agree that the precedent is such more worrying for them then the judgement.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wytworm

Yep-Their company stock took a hit on top of the judgement. And with that "risk" now being out in the open, more folks may be hesitant to invest as freely with them as they did in the past...

But, as The Lede notes, the company’s stock dropped almost 12 percent during trading on Monday and Tuesday. Bloomberg News reported last month that more than half of Taser’s top 10 shareholders sold some of their shares this year.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I read the article and it seems to me that the death might be related to the stress of the arrest and might have happened even without the spraying. Although just after posting above I did think "I bet someone will prove me wrong on this..." As we say here, all you need to die is to be alive...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join