It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shadow? what is this, or whats casting it..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BRQuick
Good find. No doubt it's been tampered with. I put a side by side comparison together.

www.snapdrive.net...

Well, it HAS been manipulated, but not for malicious purposes. ATS member 'IAttackPeople had it right:

Originally posted by IAttackPeople
These panoramic pictures are actually several pictures that are stitched together. So, what probably happened was that the astronaut near the rover was standing and casting the "mystery" shadow on one frame and had moved position by the time he was photographed with the rover in another frame.

The shadows are odd because this is THREE photos stitched together to form one Panorarama:

Here are the originals:

history.nasa.gov...
history.nasa.gov...
history.nasa.gov...

There's nothing sinister going on here -- just a less-than-perfect job stitching together three separate photos.

EDIT TO ADD:

Actually, there are at least FIVE pictures put together in that panorama, not three. Here are the other two:
history.nasa.gov...
history.nasa.gov...

[edit on 6/11/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Very good, with that info you provided, Ill accept it wasn 't malicious and now I can see where the problem came about.

Thanks

( the only question left for me is how bad of a stitch job??) If you mentally stitch those 3 images together you provided, you end up with one really big shadow, which isnt in the pan, and 2 astronauts [i can see where they would need to remove one for the sake of it ] , so Ill accept your claim by assuming there is another set of pics that are a better match or they edited out 1 shadow and one astronaut, it just appears they didnt edit the 2 that corresponded with each other.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by mindping]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mindping

I think they simply cropped/overlapped the photos in such a way that you only see the astronaut once -- when he is inside the rover. You see his shadow (cast while he is standing) twice, in the second and third picture. That's why the shadow seems so long.

By the way, I looked at the original panorama in the OP and I noticed that there are actually FIVE picture put together to form the Pan. I edited my post above accordingly.

[edit on 6/11/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Dang, I was hoping I could single handedly bring NASA to its knees! Actually just was hoping I had something good to post!

Thanks, I am done with this one.

Edited: AHH, looks like they didnt use the 2nd image you have, they used 1-3-4-5 to my eye, thats why the shadow from #2 is not elongating the shadow from 3, and why there is a missing Astronaut, ( but the missing rock isnt accounted for IMHO) and all the clone stamping.. they filled in a GAP!

viola.. thats the simple answer, with your help I see it now.

thanks

P.S. I still cant find the Astronauts shadow in #1 tho!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
[quote
Well, it HAS been manipulated, but not for malicious purposes. ATS member 'IAttackPeople had it right:

I didn't mean to imply that the intention was malicious. Sorry if it was taken that way. I was just pointing out that it had been manipulated. I would imagine if the intent had really been to slip something by, they would have done a better job.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Thanks for fleshing-out my quick-and-dirty explanation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join