It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Mig 29 downs Georgian UAV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Here is some video of a Russian MiG 29 firing at ... and downing a Georgian UAV.
The Georgians are maintaining that they don't have UAV's of this type but the Russians shot it down, captured it and this video is from the UAV's perspective as the Mig 29 fires on it...
coolest video on ATS in days... seriously!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Very cool clip.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What's interesting is what is left unsaid.

If that is a RUSSIAN military officer, he has just shown that Russians can intercept the images coming from a Georgian UAV (since that is the POV of the incoming missile).

Oops! I wonder if they considered that?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

You can hear the ground operator now.... 'oh no, OHHH NO! OOOHH NO !'

Thanks for posting that as its made my day. First time I ever seen how it looks to have a Mig 29 unleash a missile at a camera.

guess they'll have to buy some Pole Cats from Lockheed and get alot higher and alot stealthier.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Very cool video. Thanks for posting!

I'm surprised Georgia even has UAVs? They're a tiny nation..

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

If that is a RUSSIAN military officer, he has just shown that Russians can intercept the images coming from a Georgian UAV (since that is the POV of the incoming missile).

I would think that the video seen was on the hard drive of the UAV, the Russians captured the fallen UAV and subsequently gained access to the video files onboard.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

I would think that the video seen was on the hard drive of the UAV, the Russians captured the fallen UAV and subsequently gained access to the video files onboard.

That would make sense. I never even thought about that possibility. Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

As I remember the officer in the clip was Georgian. The Georgians accused the Russians of shooting down the UAV. Russia first denied it and then claimed the UAV was over disputed airspace when it was shot down.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
hey i recognise that clip from a month or 2 back

where was all the you tube video`s of the other UAV being shot down - yes Georgia had 2 and they both have been shot down , this video is of the second shoot down.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Russians denied they even had planes up on those days, and how it could just not be them.

Video is probably from Georgian ground station, I am sure it had real time video image capability, to be flown from a ground station

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_

As I remember the officer in the clip was Georgian. The Georgians accused the Russians of shooting down the UAV. Russia first denied it and then claimed the UAV was over disputed airspace when it was shot down.

You are right, I stand corrected. In my original post I thought that was a Russian officer.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
But the mig29 cant fire missles from its wingtip like shown in the vid. The seperatists do have su27's which can fire missles from its wingtip.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tomcat ha

I think you have that the wrong way around tomcat. The separatists do have Mig 29s on loan from Russian but this video shows what appears to be a Su-27 due to the location of the rail on the wing. The 29 doesn't have a rail that far out to the tip while the 27 does.

Note Location of missile launch.

Compare hardpoint/rail locations on 27 vs 29

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tomcat ha

Yup, the missile appears to have been fired from it's wingtip. And also the smoke from the missile, looks like the smoke from a ground-to-air missile and not an air-to-air missile. The Russian claims the video is a result of creative editing.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I dont think those are hardpoints on the wing of the SU-27, probably something ECM or Comm related.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk...

it is a hardpoint for a missile

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I stand corrected, but it is still an MiG-29 in the video

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Opps, that's coming out of someone's paycheck.

Great video.

join