It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do People See Greys Because It's the Scariest Image?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i think in the case of movie images of predator, alien, etc...the public is viewing these images in the familiar context of a theatre, watching a big screen. we have been mentally conditioned to watch the movie and be entertained, only to walk out when the lights come up and think "that was all make believe.

in the case of the grey image, the experiment is asking people to sit and stare at an unfamiliar, inhuman image for a prolonged period of time....i think that is a bit different, and would illicit a different reaction.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
To Strieber's "gray..." I don't see gray. I see a tan/peach color. Why does everyone refer to that as a "typical gray?"

To your central point... Interesting that the people you showed it to had that reaction. But I wonder if you'd shown them a photo of anything human enough but "not quite right" - including all too human, heavily scarred burn victims - if they'd have the same reaction. Is it the giant eyes or is it the "almost like me but not enough" prejudice we have built in?

I don't know.

I do know that's I've seen the short gray-colored peeps and while there was nothing horrifying about them the situation was one of complete terror. I don't see a link between the terror and the way they look or what they were doing or even the emotion they exuded. Seems like the terror is completely unrelated to normal causes. I also know I didn't see them for any other reason than they were there. It certainly wasn't wish-fulfillment.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Jeremy_Vaeni]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremy_Vaeni
To Strieber's "gray..." I don't see gray. I see a tan/peach color. Why does everyone refer to that as a "typical gray?"

To your central point... Interesting that the people you showed it to had that reaction. But I wonder if you'd shown them a photo of anything human enough but "not quite right" - including all too human, heavily scarred burn victims - if they'd have the same reaction. Is it the giant eyes or is it the "almost like me but not enough" prejudice we have built in?

I don't know.

I don't think so, burn victims would ilicite a response but it wouldn't bea response of being unsettled, wanting to look away, worried, anxious etc. It would simply cause them to feel unsettled, but not in the same way, it would moe be horror at whats happened to a human being not fear of the person.

Originally posted by Jeremy_Vaeni
I do know that's I've seen the short gray-colored peeps and while there was nothing horrifying about them the situation was one of complete terror. I don't see a link between the terror and the way they look or what they were doing or even the emotion they exuded. Seems like the terror is completely unrelated to normal causes. I also know I didn't see them for any other reason than they were there. It certainly wasn't wish-fulfillment.

Wish fufillment i'm sure is only part of it for a very very small percentage of people. I think it's possible others are simply falling asleep and the mind kicks in, like night terrors. If you've ever had a night terror you'll know how very distressing they are, how real they are and how they just can't be seen as dreams when you're having them. They aren't like typical nightmares, you have full sensation, you have (you think) full consciousness and something is attacking you.

The alien part of it could just be the sub concious kicking in to try and make it more understandable, that's not to say that aliens aren't abducting people i'm just saying it's a possibility they aren't and there is a more earthly explanation.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think the greys appear frightening for a couple of factors.

1.) It's mostly association. We would be much more frightened by a xenomorph (alien,aliens,alien 3 etc.) if we thought that they would possibly be real. Since we know they are a piece of HR Geigers imagination we don't really feel any fear from them. but the Greys may be real and what they reportedly do will cause a negative association with their face.

2.) The face displays obvious intelligence, we humans don't like other things that can challenge our intelligence, it's perceived as a direct threat to our species by us. imho I feel that most predatory animals hate direct eye contact and attention from other animals or people. humans feel it is a threat when you look them in the eyes. Hell Apes and some dogs will outright attack you if you stare them down. humans are the same.

3.) The eyes are huge, and they don't display any emotion. one of the above posters talked about this and it is very key. If one is staring at you the stare would feel very invasive and probing. It's our psychology, we base our survival on understanding what the other animal is thinking and respond in ways that save our skin. take that "sense" away from humans and we feel very helpless and intimidated. Could be why cops practice giving the "dead pan" stare at perps to keep them in line. To quote officer Dangle from Reno 911 while doing a dead pan stare for the camera "am I mad at you or am I going to help you find the arbys. you don't know" and it's very true.

4.) the creature represents an animal with more empirical knowledge than us humans and that makes us very uneasy too. trust me if we thought that the Predator was real and out hunting people with some cloaking device stalking us all the time that face would be considered more than just ugly to us it would be downright frightening. It's mostly all associations.

Personally I always felt compelled to stare at the picture from the communion book, but the alien on the cover doesn't seem threatening or evil to me. It's holding it's head high, it's smiling and it seems peaceful to me. Sorta budda ish like it had some sort of enlightened personality.

On a side note if one comes into my bedroom it will find out about propriety and personal space, or at least a humans idea of what it is, the hard way and will end up with a broken neck. Approach me in a manner that isn't invading my personal space and is patient then I'll be civil. fail to be civil with me and mr. grey will end up another victim of my EOE mantra which is to treat everyone the same regardless of their galactic origin and in the case of breaking and entering they will be treated just the same as a crack head.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Looks like "Mr. Peanut" the little guy that use to come in my room when I was about 5 years old but he was grey instead.Does it make me uneasy? Not the pic you have posted,but the grey ones do...go figure.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tricky63

Well i suppose i'm referring to all images of grey aliens. The one i used i simply used because i had it to hand on a dust cover from the book.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I'm sure you're right in many instances about night terrors. But this doesn't explain people who have lifetimes of abductions that present a coherent, evolving relationship with these beings.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremy_Vaeni

Actually it does, it could be they have undiagnosed night terrors and maybe to cope with it they "play into" the hallucinations. The brain to cope can make all sorts of things up, entire stories and scenarios.

Again i'm presenting this as a possibility and not a fact.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join