It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do People See Greys Because It's the Scariest Image?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I was reading one of Witley Striebers books the other day as a friend had bought it for me. I don't give much credit to Mr.Streiber but the books cover is what interested me the most. It has an artist rendering of the aliens he claimed to have been abducted by, a big bulbous head with large black, oval eyes. The classic grey alien.

So i decided to do an experiment, i took the book cover and showed it to friends, i simply asked them to look at it, in the eyes for a little while. Out of nearly 20 people, 15 became very uncomfortable sitting simply looking at the image and a couple even felt actual nausea. These aren't people who are big into the UFO scene, only two of them share my interest in the subject.

So i got to thinking, is the whole alien abduction phenomena involving greys simply happening becuase it's the scariest image your mind can render? Is it possible that at a deep sub concious level our brains invent the same scary image for many many people? I know there are many different aliens that are said to be abducting people, but the greys seem the most commonly reported.

So i post a picture here of the cover of the book i had, i request everyone try taking a look at it, just stare at it in the eyes for 3 minutes and see how you feel. Will you get bored, scared, nauseas, fearful or have slight chills down you spine? It's an experiment i would like others to take a look at.

I'm really starting to think that many people have this image in their mind at a sub concious level simply because it's the scariest being their mind can conjure.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
LOL I don't think so maybe someday if I can gather the nerve *shudder* I will send some pictures of the ex wife.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Skipping over the whole ex wife thing lol, why don't you think so? I've found this image quite often evokes a strong response in people, even if they've never seen it before and/or don't believe in aliens and aren't interested in the subject.

Why would such an image invoke a high emotional response in someone who doesn't even believe in aliens?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
in general, i think it is a disturbing image. for one thing...its non-human, and we are so conditioned in our lives that staring at ANY unfamiliar, "weird" image would invoke some sort of negative response for most people.

i suppose your theory could be true, most of us have no idea if it is all mental. but a competing theory would be....that they are real beings, and people are actually being abducted.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
People see none human images all the time in movies and tv shows. Alien, Predator, Farscape, Star Trex, Star Wars. All of these movies show fictional alien beings. However we often seem to have positive emotional responses to these things, they do not scare us and yet this one image i've found so far seems to scare people and thats why i'm thinking it has a base in our psychology.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
you do bring up a good point...the sight of the "greys" inflict a great deal of 'fear' into most people. Maybe it is due to how pop culture has glorified this image with shows like the X files and movies like Fire in the Sky. But once again alien abductions and alien sightings are the witches, succubi and incubi of our time; the fear will pass in time and future generations will look back on our fear and laugh. But good point!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

interesting theory,

i have seen that picture before and it did give me an uneasy feeling....actually it is kinda creepy...

but the reason i posted is because i get the same feeling when i see pictures of the moon and mars and i see strange alien or demonic faces in the pictures. these pictures are usually closeups of rocks and such. i always thought well maybe it's just the face recognition thing , but then why don't i see normal freindly faces in the moon /mars pictures ?

but anyways , i think it maybe our inner fears that instigate the scare factor when looking at that alien pic ?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think the image society has given for greys makes they pictured as intelligent and scary.But as Hollywood depicts then as big head,big eyes,and small mouths,are people who abducted seeing this same image?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
not sure if that reply was intended toward my post but I will reply to it anyway...people during the middle ages used to have the same 'abduction' stories. They would wake up paralyzed and a demon (succubi or incubi depending on the sex) would be standing inside there room. The demon would then either sexually abuse them there or take them away and do it somewhere else. They would then take the victim back to the place where they were and the person would wake up. As a society, we now look at the fact that a demon came into the room as a bad dream/dillusion cause by the fear of demon. Alien abduction stories go right along with this and you can take it one of two ways...either that aliens were doing these things in the past and were regarded as demons due to the lack of knowledge of the universe or that the dillusion of demonic visitations was merely replaced with alien abduction. I choose the latter. And I still stick to my theory that pop culture has made there image frightening and I know my mind can think of much scarier things.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
You know, I must be one of the minority. I don't find the image of the greys to be that frightening. In fact, they have always appeared to be more frail and small in my opinion, like a little kid.

Now, what they have reportedly done, as far as paralyzations, mind control, and experiments, is another matter. But their looks alone do not really bother me.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
If anything the "gray" image should evoke a completely different emotion than fear. Big head, big eyes, small facial features and small body should make us feel a drive to nurture them. Notice most baby mammals share those features?
I think the unsettling response to that image is due to what we think they're like. If you associate kidnapping, torturing, probing and cattle mutilations with a face that face will seem awfully sinister.

Take Hitler for example. Being purely objective he was not a scary looking man. Due to association seeing his face is repulsive.

In the particular picture you showed I think the color scheme was far more unsettling than the image itself.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by mysterychicken]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
they see greys..cause..umm...they are the bastards abducting everyone to save their race,make hybrids and do whatever the Lizzies say.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I think it IS a psychological effect indeed. When you look into another being's face, your brain is trying to "decode" if its foe or a friend. I guess, when you look into these horrible big black alien eyes, you get lost and confused, and scared... because you see absolutely NOTHING, no explanation, no clue, only fear of the unknown.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterychicken

Not quite, the young mammals don't usually have slanted eyes, that are massively black in this fashion. Also this is a mature face for lack of a better word.

Most of the people i showed it to were completely unaware of the whole abduction phenomenon and just think those people are crazy so they aren't associating anything with these pictures. I have just found people tend to find these pictures unsettling, that's the most common word i heard. A feeling of unease, not wanting to look at it any longer etc.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Granted the particular image you showed is not the "typical" gray image. I was addressing the overall common image of grays. In your piture it has a markedly more sinister look (intentional by the artist I'm guessing)...I still think the colors are more unsettling than the image itself.

IMO the mind can come up with far scarier images that would be far more unsettling.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by mysterychicken]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Maybe you won`t give much creedence to this post, but the Aliens that visited me when I was eight years old were precisely the ones depicted in Strieber`s book cover of Communion. Exactly the same.

I lived in a thirld world country, there was no cable television or Internet, and Communion was published one year later in English in the U.S.

The first post I made at ATS a while ago was precisely about them.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Camilo1]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Camilo1

Please, despite how it seems i'm not here to debunk abductions, i'm simply putting forward a possibility. It could be that the abductions happen when someones mind switches off somehow, maybe a simple hallucination as these episodes often occur at night whilst people are in bed.

It's a possibility, it's also possible abductions are real, i'm not trying to make any bad situation you experienced seem trivial, i'm just exploring the possibles.If you read my post i didn't say people were picking up on all this from tv or movies or books. I said maybe this is something that's deep seated in the sub concious, something that's very scary to most people as an image and so it comes out during these incidents.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think the face looks like a cross between a human and an insect. When we think of insects, we often think of hive consciousness or collective consciousness. The image is an indirect doorway onto the subconscious consideration of collective, or hive consciousness in humans. There is such a consciousness, and it is hidden from us. We imagine ourselves to be individual and complete unto ourselves. We imagine we know what motivates us to do the things we do. It's an illusion that we maintain, and the illusion of free will and individuality is the mechanism by which the collective consciousness manipulates us into building what ever it is building. The idea is foreign, repugnant, and... well, alien to modern humans.

The abduction scenario is the mind's projection of intrusion or violation that occurs when some portion of our consciousness becomes aware of the collective consciousness trying to communicate with us. The aliens are not "out there". They are "in here".

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That image does infact bother me. Granted, I'm easily spooked, but after staring at what I approximated to by the dead center of its eyes for a few minuets, its gonna pop up when I try to go to sleep.

Greys bother me deeply. Its a "spinal fear".. I tend to refer to how things scare you based on how you react. Theres "neck fear" ( Where your neck feels cold, hairs stand up ), "gut fear" ( Self explanatory. ), etc.. And that image makes my spine go cold.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ambrose

That's the most common answer i got from people i asked, an unsettled feeling, i hope more people answer the thread and say how they felt staring at it for a few minutes. I also liked your explanations of different kinds of fear, made sense to me

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join