It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain thinks Putin was the President of Germany (and other blunders)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
In light of all the Anti-Obama threads propagating on ATS, I thought it was time to level the playing field a bit.

This is especially targeted to those who read the "Off prompter, Obama Can't Speak" thread.

Don't think McCain is without his faults.
While I don't agree with every one of Obama's policies, I believe he is much better suited to be President. Much better suited, at least, than a political figure who does not know that Vladimir Putin was the Prime minister of Russia, not the president of Germany. Even if many Americans today don't know this, I would want the leader of my country to know it.

This second video is pretty popular on Youtube, and needs no introduction. just watch as the lies and screw-ups unfold.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudfire
While I don't agree with every one of Obama's policies, I believe he is much better suited to be President. Much better suited, at least, than a political figure who does not know that Vladimir Putin was the Prime minister of Russia, not the president of Germany.

Obama said we need more ARABIC interpreters in Afghanistan

Newsflash to Obama - they dont' speak Arabic in Afghanistan.

So, cloudfire, what's the difference between McCain and Obama with these blunders? McCain screwed up who was a leader of a country ... Obama screws up the language spoken in a country that we are at war in.

But somehow Obama is better suited, eh?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I'm sorry, are there actually any candidates who aren't *snip* morons?

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Its probably just the alzheimers kicking in.

When he introduces legislation to place trade restrictions against Napolean and his French armies, then we start to worry.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

heh, I just wanted to level the playing field.

I do think he is better suited, because while he does misspeak once every so often, he doesn't think one person is the head of another's country.
Besides, our current president, Bush, can't give an unprompted speech without uttering at leas 5 "Bushisms" -- a word specifically created to refer to his speaking mistakes. nuke-u-lar.

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
I'm sorry, are there actually any candidates who aren't *snip* morons?

no, not anymore. But Obama is the least moronic of the two in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by cloudfire
While I don't agree with every one of Obama's policies, I believe he is much better suited to be President. Much better suited, at least, than a political figure who does not know that Vladimir Putin was the Prime minister of Russia, not the president of Germany.

Obama said we need more ARABIC interpreters in Afghanistan

Newsflash to Obama - they dont' speak Arabic in Afghanistan.

So, cloudfire, what's the difference between McCain and Obama with these blunders? McCain screwed up who was a leader of a country ... Obama screws up the language spoken in a country that we are at war in.

Lets take a look at the notion Arabic has nothing to do with Afghanistan:

Pashto and Dari (Afghan Persian/Farsi) are the official languages of Afghanistan. Pashto was declared the National Language of the country during the beginning of Zahir Shah's reign, however, Dari has always been used for business and government transactions. link

Hmm, not Arabic, right?

Well actually:

Both Pashto and Dari are written primarily with the Arabic alphabet, however, there are some modifications.

Oh wait! They are based on Arabic. Your point is still valid, they do NOT speak Arabic.

Still I had to a bit of searching to figure out what the hell was going on with your point an i have to admit I learned a LOT about language. So it is hard for me to hold it against him.

What is more, bashing Obama to defend McCain seems a bit desperate and their mistakes when compared, well the simply do not compare. McCain in MHO is the one who looks dumber, in fact he is the only one who looks dumb.

Edit: forgot my link, sorry.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
HMMM who would I rather....Someone who mistakening thought Putin was the President of Russia, or someone who has visited all 57 States?

I'm sure there will be alot more blunders on both sides in the runup to the election.

You can over look some speaking blunders, but you can't overlook the blunders of policy.

Obama's policy of defeat in Iraq can't be overlooked.

Obama's policy of raising taxes on everything that breathes can't be overlooked. Like being taxed twice? Obama wants to double the capital gains tax. Your hard earned money that you have already been taxed on, he wants to double the tax that that money makes you. (This will really encourage investment, yeah right!)

Obama's policy of Socialized Healthcare can't be overlooked.

Every week it seems like questions come up about Obama, and in the end it just ends up being overlooked.

And finally don't ever...ever question Obama. Doing so would be racist!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

It would be great if we could discuss the OP. As much fun as it is to read your tirade against Obama it has nothing to do with the theme of the thread. I would love to hear your opinion on McCain though. Yes, tell me, what do you think of McCain and his gaffes?

I personally find it all incredibly amusing! McCain needs to PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL and STEP AWAY FROM THE HOLE!

I suppose he can not stop speaking now, all the better for me, I will find much pleasure in watching him continue to dig and dig and dig!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Okay off the stage McCain you lost your privilege to be the next president.. NEXT!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
I had to a bit of searching to figure out what the hell was going on with your point

Then you wasted your time. The point was obvious.

The OP said Obama looked better and that McCain looked dumb (paraphrase) because of his gaff. My point was that Obama has made gaffs as well.

Perhaps I should have listed all of Obama's gaffs to make the point better. But then again ... that would take a very long time and I can't be bothered.

McCain in MHO is the one who looks dumber, in fact he is the only one who looks dumb.

If McCain is the only one who looks dumb then I suggest you go to the eye doctor for an exam. McCain has made some whoppers, but Obama has as well. And you can't blame Obama's on old age.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
reply to post by RRconservative

It would be great if we could discuss the OP. As much fun as it is to read your tirade against Obama it has nothing to do with the theme of the thread. I would love to hear your opinion on McCain though. Yes, tell me, what do you think of McCain and his gaffes?

I personally find it all incredibly amusing! McCain needs to PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL and STEP AWAY FROM THE HOLE!

I suppose he can not stop speaking now, all the better for me, I will find much pleasure in watching him continue to dig and dig and dig!!!

I don't like Juan McCain, but I know one thing...when McCain messes up the media won't let you forget it. When Obama messes up, it's like watching the parents of a 3 year old saying "Oh, isn't that cute!"

I can deal with 4 years of McCain, (then maybe Republicans can get their act together and elect a real conservative) but I don't think I could deal with another 4 years of Jimmy Carter...errr I mean Barack Hussein Obama.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
HMMM who would I rather....Someone who mistakening thought Putin was the President of Russia,...

Thats the thing -- Putin was the Prime Minister of Russia. He said Putin was the president of Germany.
Anyway the rest of your post is opinion, and whether you agree with Obama's policies. We're not talking about anyone's race, either.

But let's talk about McCain. do you really want to elect a man that believes in the conflict in Iraq? or that recently joked about bombing Iran?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Obama's policy of defeat in Iraq can't be overlooked.

Obama's policy of Socialized Healthcare can't be overlooked.

You're right on both counts, even though I'd replace the word "defeat" with the words "ending the conflict". Personally, I would gladly vote for saving soldiers' lives when the conflict (it's not even a war) they're fighting in is meaningless.

Also, it sounds like you know very little about the concept of Universal Health Care. This is a fairly good site to use if you want to get your facts straight:

www.amsa.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Maybe you are correct but it is MHO that McCain looks much worse at least in the comparison that you offered. Feel free to offer more if you feel you need to level the playing field for McCain.

Also I could have made my first point better. What I was trying, and failing, to say is that the fact Arabic is not spoken in Afghanistan is not common knowledge. The actual languages of many countries are far from common knowledge and based on this I forgive Obama his gaffe

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Perhaps he has a secret ladder which will help him get out of the hole.

In the meantime, Obama will be getting more and more relaxed...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
reply to post by Animal

Perhaps he has a secret ladder which will help him get out of the hole.

In the meantime, Obama will be getting more and more relaxed...

Touche! I had not thought of that. A very well taken point and one I hope someone raises to Obama! I salute your keen mind and seeming political savvy.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Beginner's luck mate.

Really though, my honest intentions and questionable background more or less puts me at odds with the majority of my political peers, so not really much hope in that aspect.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This is not steering this thread off topic...bear with me.

I think the creators of south park have some sort of crystal ball that peers into the future. I believe they created this episode based off of the 2008 election.

honestly - in my opinion, neither candidate is inspirational what so ever.
They both attack each other on scrupulous human traits (too old, too young, not black enough, too white)

Though there are those who would argue

in the very beginning of Obama's campaign run, i truely was inspired by him. It was a sort of "its about time" for me. I am not black, im white, not that it matters, but you just in case you were wondering.

Obama had my respect and vote, until the speech he gave about Racial divides in america. Because in my opinon, its just regurgitation to the mindless yammering i've seen time and time again on youtube. But, thats just me.

McCain is another Tim "The Toolman" Taylor who's just interested in the job so he can play with cool guns and drive in fancy cars. I see nothing from McCain. I respect his service to this country, but IMO that fact doesnt solely qualify him for running this country.

Right now - our choices are a man who refuses to show respect during the national anthem

and a man who falsley promises hope, but really offers the same crap we've put up with for the last 8 years.

But what are our choices?

We dont have any. This is about as bad as it can get in terms of viable candidates. We can only hold on for the ride, and hope things get better. Because no matter who's elected, things will either:

stay the same
or get better

But i'd like to see more posts that debate the issues we face as a nation
and less attacks on the candidates individual personal traits

how would you like it if someone said "you cant be president because...you are not black enough or you are too old"

mindless clammering IMO

whats yours?

top topics

join