It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowering the Drinking Age

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

WOW, I stand corrected, thank you. And I see the point, we used to have the same probs...me and a buddy once wrote a song as a tribute to another friend called the Anabuse blues...this poor idiot would drink while taking htat stuff...and of course he would seize out as well...some peoples kids...

thasnk for the correction!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I don't think it's anything new.

I graduated high school back in 1986, and we were all drinking like fishes.

My friend used to keep a 2-liter "Coke" in his locker that was actually a Rum & Coke

Now, through some odd circumstances, I have a bunch of friends and acquaintances who are teenagers, and they all drink (and smoke pot), same as we did I was when I was a teenager.

The drinking age is largely ignored anyway, it's the perfect example of feel-good legislation that changes absolutely nothing...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Yeah that's exactly my point. I think the whole reason for the stupid laws is to help makes the parents feel more secure. "O well if it's illegal than my kid probably won't do it". Ha rum and coke in a coke bottle, I should thought of that.

It doesn't matter what the drinking age is it is not going to keep anyone from drinking less!!!!

[edit on 11-6-2008 by theendisnear69]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Gotcha.

I clearly misunderstood your post, sorry

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm 21 and I never got into the whole drinking business, actually I find drunk people annoying.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
When I was 17 (back in 1970) we worked to get the drinking age lowered in Florida. This was due to the draft. If a young man was considered old enough at 18 to go to war and die, he should be able to drink legally. We got that one passed and the drinking age in FL was lowered to 18. This is the same state where you could drive up to a liquor store window and buy a mixed drink to go.

Been there, done that!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadbang
As a parent who is on the tail end of raising 8 kids...just one left and he's 13!...whooohooo!..anyway

The drinking age should stay 21 period. The thing most dont consider and I have seen it first hand having lived in the US and NZ and traveled Europe...is there is a drag along age for lack of a better way to put it...

If the age is 21 then you have people as young as 19, 18 or so who drink in the shadows of the law...if you lower that age to 18, you move that drag along age with it...now you will have 16 and 15 yr olds drinking in the shadows of the law.

It's true and every parent of teens knows it!

As to the military drinking age...I served in the early 80's (Navy)...it's always been 18 on a US base...whenever your out "local" wherever "local" might be, your subject to the local laws...

my2cents

Binge drinking is really stuffing up Australia at the moment - and many are thinking we should raise the legal age for alcohol to 21.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nexusmagazine

We have the same kinda thing going on here in Chc...and what floors me is that the city council does not seem to see the corellation between drinking age and the spike in crime we get every friday/saturday nite in the central business district...they started a scheme where after 2am you leave the premises and you cant go back in...and thats fine...but they have done nothing about the hundreds and I'm being literal of teens wandering the downtown area drunk off their butts causing problems.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I'm 19 and in the Naval Reserves...a funny story short I once put on my cracker jack uniform (dress blues) walked into a bar and was served with out them ever asking for my I.D. I suppose it all depends on the people attending you : )

Also living in San Diego,CA all I have to do is take a 5 min drive down south to Tijuana,MEX to drink up

I think the age limit should stay at 21 even for military personel, their are far too many morons in the civilian world, don't you think they also spill on over to the military world ?

¡Viva México!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eric52081
In my honest opinion the drinking age should be 18 if you serve in the military and 21 if you do not. If you are old enough to die for your country then you should at least be able to drink.

www.usatoday.com...

Actually...

It should really be ... if you are 21 you can serve in the military... and drink.

18 year olds are too dumb to do either.

You also say something that really does not matter ... the drinking age is 21.. but most people do most of their drinking in life younger then that or just outside that 21-25 area..

It is estimated that alcohol manufactures make roughly 50% of their profits from underage drinking.

Laws don't stop anyone.. it just lets the Gov get in on the action.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join