It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the Topic of Racism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What does it matter?

If you don't want to vote for a canidate because you are a racist....then what does it matter to anyone but themselves?
Those with the "holier than thou" attitude are being the worst racist IMHO.

America is about FREEDOM. Freedom to like what you will and dislike what you don't. With Freedom comes responsibility. Active racists that let their hate reflect their decisions show little to no responsibility....But it IS their RIGHT to do so!

It is of my opinion that if all the self righteous would STFU about racism, it would eventually die out. You "Racist Cryers" are what keeps it stirred up for generations.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by bismarcksea]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
there is a kernel of truth in what you say

regardless of your position you can feel however you want and vote for whomever, because that is the person you would follow.

the motivation is one's own business

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I agree with you.
I think everyone should be able to choose whatever canidate they want for what ever reason.
But I'm not saying racism ok.
I just dont like when people try to change my views.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think it's the acts that are done out of racism that matter more than the idea of racism, however the idea can lead to action. Personally, I don't care what thoughts go through a person's head. They can hate everyone on the planet for all I care, just as long as they don't act on those thoughts in a negative manner. The most obvious example I can think of is the Holocaust. Racism, in my opinion, doesn't matter as long as it doesn't lead to institutionalized racism and the singling out for extermination of a specific group. Say and think whatever you want, that's freedom afterall, just don't go and act on those thoughts if you plan on infringing on anyone else's freedom.

I do feel, however, that if we do not create open forums to discuss issues which are controversial, and merely sweep them under the carpet, we allow racist ideals to be expressed through action. In a perfect world I wouldn't have to care if people were racists, as the system in place would counter any biases caused by this, reality is not so. If we don't talk about prevalent racism, the problem does not go away, it becomes perpetuated through racist indoctrination in the community. There is a very fine line between racist thought and action, as once an individual begins to perceive a group of human beings as "the other" they dehumanize that group, and therefore may begin to justify atrocious actions towards that group. Ultimately, any ideology which promotes the hatred of any human beings, is flawed, subjective, irrational, and will inevitably lead to violence. Racism is hate, and hate is never constructive. Just my opinion of course, peace out.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

link   

link   

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I hate to remind you but it's only been about 50 years since black people were even considered "human beings" and given the power to vote, and of course lynchings common place within only a century.

This is all actually pretty recent, so yes it is a big deal. Saying that racism wouldn't exist if you don't bring the subject up, is pretty retarded thing to say.

Back in the times of slavery, black people were treated like sub-human trash by white people and nobody thought 'racism' even existed.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Its the fact that Obama is a black man being the President of the United States. He has broke the mold and he is the first African American President of this country and that may come to a shock to a lot of people and a lot of people will not get over that fact.

People fear change, plain and simple. We are all creatures of habit and seeing a black man lead this country has possibly turned some people racist that probably wasnt racist before. Why? Because some people are just ignorant and still cannot get past the skin color barrier in the 20th century.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Another thread on racism....I never get tired of these but what a lot of people dont realize is that racism really got its start in america when it was very young (when poor europeans and africans were allowed to marry have kids etc) what changed? Too much rebellion and a loss of profits.....this whole idea was a creation by a couple of people who wanted to divide and conquer.....and it never left all its done is changed form....so to say you dont care if someone thinks it is really ridiculous because this all started as someones great idea to increase profits and keep control.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Racism is fed to us through the media. People arent that stupid.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
What you are highlighting is ignorance of a 'buzz' word that has become a staple in American politics. While this might be a shameless plug, I attempted to examine the nature of the misuse of the term racist and racism HERE.

Now, through many post here I can see why people avoided actually coming to terms that their use of the word is misguided and misplaced. While the true definition does live, it is as you say isolated to small individuals that hold their ‘race’ is superior to others.

Lately the use of the word has been a crutch to combat other views on how the country is being run. There maybe a small percentage that only look at the skin color of the man that was elected, but overall, many are looking at the policies implemented.

The thought that people cannot hold prejudices against others is what drives people to scream racism at the first sight of such prejudices.

new topics

top topics

join