It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can airsoft guns be used for survival training?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ok so I have been planning on buying a few guns for some time now but I really dont have engouh money at this point.

So I was just wondering does anybody know if airsoft guns would work if you were trying to prepare for a Sitx?

I currently have 2 airsoft guns right now.
A spring powered one, and one with a co2 cartridge.
And there both pistols.
I'm pretty acurate with them up to a certain distance.
But I dont really know if that is an accurate way to show if I am acctually good with real guns.
I have shotten pistol before, but that was a while ago.
So I dont really remeber how accurate I was with them.

So Just wanted some imput.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There are some airsoft guns from my understanding that some Federal law enforcement officials use to practice with and use in target practice competitions.
I own a few airsoft guns of my own and I mainly use them for target shooting.
From the things I have seen at the stores and such, I have found a few CO2 powered BB guns that include built-in recoil systems. I would also recommend you take a combat shooting course if you can find the time and money for it.
The higher the power your gun is, the longer the distance it can accurately hit a target.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Using airsoft to practice real weapons proficiency is as gay as a boy in a dress.

Research, get a weapon that fits what you want to use it for, and find a qualified instructor to assist you in your training.

It's not going to be cheap, or happen overnight. You need to build the memory muscle and develop good shooting habits.

Now, move out and draw fire!

[edit on 10-6-2008 by jerico65]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think you would be better off with a high value .22: Check out the Ruger 10/22, you can still get one for under $200, and the ammo 500/$12.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Any ranged weapon will increase accuracy - your body will get used to it all the same.

Still, it would be best to get ahold of an actual firearm and then a duplicate airsoft to practice with (if you live in the u.k, otherwise i imagine you can just get a bit trigger-happy with u-self).

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
You can get most Milsurp rifles for around $150.

They are CHEAP!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yes, and no.

When law enforcement and military use airsoft weapons, they use them as markers as an alternative to live fire or blanks for exercises only (as far as I know). That is, they are used for exercises and practice in armed combat in different environments. It can be very handy if you want to learn how to work as a squad, how to resolve situations, how to move tactically.. and so on. So Airsoft guns can be nice to have for physical exercises that involve arms and exchange of fire between friendly groups, but I would never rely one an airsoft gun to learn how to actually shoot. Yes, any ranged weapon will improve accuracy, but for target practice I would rather focus more on getting a real gun than target practice with airsoft guns.

I have a Glock17 Airsoft gun with a strengthened recoil spring and a metal slide (heavier metal gives more kick when fired) which gives semi-authenticity in how it feels in your hand and how much kick it gives when fired, but I only use it for target practice in my backyard. I live in a Norwegian city, so I can't take a real gun into my yard and start firing off. A part from maybe on very close ranges, I doubt it offers any real improvement on my shooting skills apart from filling the void when I really want to shoot, but can't go to the range and fire a real gun. Used together with a real gun (airsoft at home, real steel at range) I feel it may help me maintain the feel of firing a gun and therefor be good to have, but I would not recommend it in your scenario if you where thinking about learning how to shoot for sitx.

So, using airsoft guns for larger scale exercises for sitx is perfectly viable. An airsoft gun can be a nice tool to have for training, but for learning how to actually shoot a gun, get a real gun. There is a difference between learning how to shoot, and learning how to operate in different situations involving armed combat.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
In the Uk you are better off getting a good legal limit air rifle, finding a farmer who like people who shoot vermin and practise practise practise till you can stalk and bag your prey 99 times out of a 100.

Airsoft toys have no real use at all, sorry - what you gonna do ? scare that bunny with your whiney battery powered plinker ?

No offense meant I love airsoft, but its a game with toys.

apc

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Only good for urban exercises, preferably indoors where there's no wind. That's what organized crime (police) use them for. They are quite valuable for use in practicing home invasions.

Don't focus attention on guns though. In a survival situation bullets run out. Don't be dependent on them. Depend on your skills, not your tools.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I would use real weapons with blanks, so if TSHTF, you can use them as real weapons, airsoft, you can't. But if you already have airsofts, use airsofts to do mock guerilla warfare training.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Using airsoft to practice real weapons proficiency is as gay as a boy in a dress.

Research, get a weapon that fits what you want to use it for, and find a qualified instructor to assist you in your training.

It's not going to be cheap, or happen overnight. You need to build the memory muscle and develop good shooting habits.

Now, move out and draw fire!

[edit on 10-6-2008 by jerico65]

Well if it was cheap I would already be doing that.
So please dont post telling me to spend money I dont have.
I'm in colledge so I have to pay for rent, food and other expenses.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 5ealchris

There are Several Groups Of People across the Country who have agreements with several military bases to use their MOUNT facilities for this purpose.

The have the Aerial Maps, GPS , Topos, and scale drawings of the MOUNT villages, and the entire surrounding area.

They meet several times a year, on TEAMS and there is a fee of like 100.00. Everyone has the full gear, except the guns are Airsoft, and the Mags for them.

The object is basically "capture the flag" with one team defending a village and another advancing in stealth.

The buildings all have firing ports, windows, doors, rat holes, rooms, roofs, towers, bunkers, tires,, old cars, etc...

A lot of Ex Military guys are really serious about it.

The guns alone are as much as a real one in some cases. (1000.00 plus)

They stay out for 2 or 3 days activities, and its your choice to bivy up, or go to the hotel at night. I have not sdeen any Night Games, but I'm sure they exist. I know they do because I saw a night vision scope that had been hit in the protective screen, in front of the lens.

The tactics and stealth are the same, and you dont die. You do know when your hit, and that could teach you a lot. Also seeing what others do wrong that allows you to nail them.

Some of these guys have Sniper Airsoft Guns, that are good for over 100 yards accurately, out of the box.

There are M-203's, flash bangs, 50 cal, shotguns, pistols, armor, Molle vests. I'm sure there are flares and smoke as well. Trip wire Cylume Lightsticks and optics day and night.

A lot of customization is possible if you want to drop the dough. Better range, accuracy and power.

These are actual Military training MOUNT sites, on Military Bases.

Looks like fun to me, but I can justify that expense on a M-4 airsoft.

The Photos are impressive.. I'm sure there is a Web Site.

These guys are Not Playing, and a lot of them are Iraq War Vets and Gulf War Vets.

They even limit ammo to 'full combat loads' and mags to 'normal' capacity.

Well worth the training on movement and concealment alone.

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ok so from what it sounds like airsoft guns can increase accuracy, but its better to get a real gun.
But I can still do some training with them.
And just so there is no confusion I never intended on using them in a sitx.
And I do live in the usa so I can get firearms.

Don't focus attention on guns though. In a survival situation bullets run out. Don't be dependent on them. Depend on your skills, not your tools.

I've been learning various survival skills for about or so, and mainly just posted this to know if airsoft guns could help with real shooting.

And Also alot of people are telling me to get a real gun.
Which I have been planning on getting one in the near future.
Its just that as I mentioned before I have other expensises I need to pay for before I get a gun.
But now that its school is over and I can work full time.
I can propably get one in a month or so.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by 5ealchris]

[edit on 11-6-2008 by 5ealchris]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Airsoft guns are really toys.... They can help you get the feel of a gun in your hand but not the effects.

We all know when someone gets shot in the movie is a lot different when some gets shot in real life...

Be concious, go to the shooting range and forget the toys unless you want to play....

Still even the shooting range doesn't simulate you shooting a person and blowing a body part off or killing them....

It's more then just the gun its the effects they cause.....

------------------------

C'mon we all know that guns don't kill people, people kill people, but they sure help.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by uknow_me72

Airsoft guns are really toys.... They can help you get the feel of a gun in your hand but not the effects.

We all know when someone gets shot in the movie is a lot different when some gets shot in real life...

Be concious, go to the shooting range and forget the toys unless you want to play....

Still even the shooting range doesn't simulate you shooting a person and blowing a body part off or killing them....

It's more then just the gun its the effects they cause.....

------------------------

C'mon we all know that guns don't kill people, people kill people, but they sure help.

Yes I know airsoft guns are just toys, and never thought they stimulated how it is to actually shoot a gun.
And I know that even shooting a real gun isnt like shooting a person I've never thought that.
But I have gone hunting before and that probably is better than target ranges because you actually get to see how it kills the animal and such.

I have also even been thinking about the military, but I'm not really sure yet.
It would be good training.
Its just that I dont really want to actually go to war.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
honestly the best wepaon u can have is something you can fix or rmake yourself.... Like a bow an arrows.. or a Throw axe... learn to make stone an flint weapons.... then you will not oly be a prepared fighter, but also a needed resource fr whoever you come in contact with....

guns are awesome tools yes, but really sit x comes about your gonna find all these guns everywhere with ust brass next to them.... bullets in sit x will be spent like that stimulus money...... lol

You learn some tradeskills you just increased your ability to last longer then someone who bought 20 guns......

Not to mention, arrows an darts can be just as effective as a gun, not to mention if ur at your bug out area Booby traps will reign number one.....

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Trance Optic]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Direct answer is no airsoft guns will not prepare you for using a real gun, espically in a do or die situation. However, airsoft is a great tool for honing skills that will keep you alive. Concealment, stealth, use of cover, squad tactics and the like are all heavily used in airsoft. Unless you have a fortune in your equipment range is extremely limited (about 40 yards, less with your pistols)so tactics are critical. Wind, leaves and even flying insects can deflect your shot to the point where it will miss a man sized target at 20 feet which is completely off compared to real firearm ballistics, but bearing that in mind all other skills gained makes airsoft worthwhile IMO.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
No recoil... no muzzleblast( noise) which hurts and can make even experienced folks develop an inadvertant flinch...putting your round through a dime is less important than hitting before the other guy(preferably center of mass). learn movement/team coordination. Have fun just don't kid yourself...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Give up the Rambo fantasies! The best way to survive a gunfight is to AVOID gunfights! Soldiers and warriors lifespans are much shorter than merchants and farmers.

Practical skills like farming, hunting stealthily will keep you alive longer than practicing mock combat. Establishing a sustainable community where your skills such as repairing technological sophisticated equipment like computers, automobiles and machinery will earn you more food than you could ever take by force.

In a total collapse situation, skills like building a windcharger, alcohol stills, food canning and preservation and bio-fueled generators will keep you and your neighbors alive longer by because electricity is the lifeblood of modern humanity.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

I dont have any rambo fantasys.

I just want to know that if I have to get into a gun fight to protect myself or my family that I will be able to do that.

And I have been trying to gain other skills besides gun skills. And I do think that they are important to have.

<<   2 >>

join