It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE BAH�'� WORLD FAITH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The Bah�'� Faith arose from Islam, similar to the way Christianity arose from Judaism. It has since grown to be a worldwide faith. It is most commonly spelled Baha'i, although alternate spellings of Ba'Hai, Bahai, and Bah'ai are sometimes seen.

Siyyid 'Ali-Muhammad (1819-1850 CE) assumed the title Bab which means the Gate. In 1844-MAY-23 He announced the "Declaration of the Bab." He explained that the purpose of His mission was to herald the arrival of "One greater than Himself", Who would fulfill the prophetic expectations of all the great religions. This date is regarded as the founding of the Bah�'� Faith. His followers became known as Babis. 20,000 were martyred for their beliefs. His movement caused much religious ferment. This led to His execution in 1850 by order of the Shah's chief minister and at the instigation of Muslim clerics, who saw His movement as a threat to orthodox Islam.

In 1863, one of the Bab's followers, Mirza Husayn-'Ali-i-Nuri (1817-1892), a prominent follower of the Bab to Whom the Bab had given several indications of His future station, confided to some of his followers and to His eldest son that He was the Manifestation predicted by the Bab. On 1863-APR-21, He began proclaiming his station openly and publicly to the world at large. His assumed title, Baha'u'llah, by which He is generally known, was the title the Bab used to refer to Him. The last forty years of Baha'u'llah's life were spent in prison or in exile. The last 22 years were spent in or near Acre, then a prison city. The world headquarters of the Bah�'� Faith is located in the Holy Land today as a result.

Baha'u'llah's son 'Abdu'l-Baha (1844-1921), was appointed by His father to be leader of the movement after His father's death.

The religion came to North America in 1893. The Bah�'� Faith states that it currently has about 6 million members worldwide: about 2.5 million adherents in India and 140,000 in the US. The Canadian census found 14,730 in Canada in 1991. There have been many discussions on Bah�'� mailing lists which have tended to estimate a total of 1 million members worldwide. BSome claim that the US figure is grossly inflated, and that the number of active members might be much lower. Barry Kosmin and Seymour Lachman estimated 28,000 adult US Bah�'�s in their 1993 book "One Nation Under God." Fredrick Glaysher estimates 26,600. 1

According to the 1992 Encyclopaedia Britannica Book of the Year, the Bah�'� Faith has established "significant communities" in more countries and territories than any other religion except for Christianity. They are organized in 205 areas vs. 254 for Christianity. According to The Baha'i World, this has increased to 235 countries and territories, including over 2,100 racial, ethnic and tribal groups. They number about 5 million members worldwide.

The official "Bah�'� Faith website" is at: www.bahai.org... National pages are at www.us.bahai.org... for Americans, and www.ca.bahai.org... for Canadian.

Bah�'� faith is still looked upon by many Muslims as a breakaway sect of Islam. Bah�'�s are heavily persecuted in some countries because of this, in violation of the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

See links....

World Faith

Bahai Faith

posted on Jan, 2 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   
It's quite an interesting belief-system, if anyone's inclined to search on it. It allows believers a degree of freedom in what they adopt/adapt from other faiths.
I work with a Canadian Baha'i -he was born in Iran -and the faith was very heavily persecuted when the Shah fell and the ayatollahs took over. He and his family seem to live pretty normal, happy westernised lives.
Incidentally, alcohol is banned.

posted on Jan, 2 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Life with only alchohol free beer.
What a sad religion.

posted on Jan, 2 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
One can but concur, Thomas: "Take a little Pepsi for thy stomach's sake" doesn't quite hit the spot.

posted on Jan, 3 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Debated one of them online for awhile. The only real problem I have with it is that they try to make The Bab to be the foretold spiritual leader of many religions. I pointed out to them that he didn't fulfill any of the Christian propehcies and none of the Jewish ones, either.

posted on Jan, 3 2003 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The Bah�'� Faith arose from Islam ?

I knew it. This so-called religion is an islamist trojan horse !

posted on Jan, 4 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yes UP this system of beleif dd stem from the Islamic faith but its orientation is very moderate and it tends to accept rather than deny other faiths as valid.

new topics

top topics

join